My WIP - "A House of Rooks"

Discussion in 'Writing Workshop' started by Rook of Blades, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Rook of Blades

Rook of Blades Artisan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Part of the reason I registerred here was to get inspiration, and maybe ideas, for my newest WIP, A House of Rooks. So I figured I'd get a summary and introduction of the main characters up here, mainly to get some pointers and ideas on them/it.

Main Characters

Arden Greyhamn de Rook - The hero of the story. An elven mercenary from the City of Mercenaries, Cortán. He grew up on the back-alleys of Cortán as a thief trying to stay alive by pickpocketing mercenaries for their had-earned money. In time he met with his human "brother", Elaith, who took him in and became his adoptive big brother. Together, they rose to become the infamous and equally deadly Rook Brothers of Cortán. Arden is a sad sight for an elf, with spiky, long, white hair, only one eye, runic scarifications on his arms and strange and wild tattoos in his face. Because of his wild appearance he is usually shunned by most people, having turned him into somewhat of a loner, and the only one he is really close to is his brother, Elaith, whom he would gladly die for. Arden is a cynical and arrogant young elf, whose impatience often leads him to make rash (and usually violent) decisions, but whenever it leads him into trouble, he rarely has any problem fighting his way through it.

Elaith de Rook - The older and more rational of the Rook brothers, Elaith is a human, and one of Cortán's most deadly gunslingers. Like Arden he grew up in the streets of the city, having to fight every day to stay alive. He is over-protective of his brother, but also takes great pleasure in teasing him. Elaith is an intelligent conspirator, a military tactical genius, and a deadly gunslinger, a combination that could see him to great power in the City of Mercenaries. However, wishing to remain an independent mercenary, rather than tying himself and his brother to any of the city's mercenary companies, he and his brother left the city, leaving behind particularly bad relations with the Black Band, one of the most powerful mercenary companies of the city. Elaith is, like Arden, a cynic, but also more calmheaded. He is considered the brains of the Rook Brothers by most who do not know them well.

Cities:

Cortán - Nicknamed the City of Mercenaries, this city-state is a military superpower with a bad reputation. A warrior society with an economy that circulates around the training and supplying of mercenary companies, Cortán itself has not been to war for a thousand years - but its mercenary companies have traveled far and wide to participate in almost every war that has taken place in Taramthine for the last eight hundred years. Cortán is ruled by a council of nine, consisting of the commanders of the city's nine most powerful mercenary companies.

Dragonport (Name likely to change) - A port in the coastal kingdom of Cyrim, Dragonport is a haven for pirates, smugglers, slavers and thieves. On the surface it is a civilized city known for its splendor, its fashion and its prominent politicians and philosophers. But under the surface the city overflows with hidden crime and corruption. Not far from Dragonport lays the small village of Wychwood, known for the Wychwood University of the Arcane, that is located there. Many of the thirty or so lords that rule Dragonport under Cyrim's king, have studied at the university.

Story:

After a bloody clash with the Black Band of Cortán, the infamous Rook brothers are forced to flee the City of Mercenaries to survive. In time they come to Dragonport, a crime-infested pearl of a city located on the eastern coast of the kingdom of Cyrim. The city is a cesspool boiling with political corruption, insidious conspiracies, piracy and murder. Just the type of city where the Rook brothers would thrive. Driven on by an almost endless ambition, and an unquenchable thirst for wealth and power, the two brothers start to make a name for themselves as ruthless swordsmen for hire. But as they rise to power, the lords that rule the city, both hidden and open, begin to take notice of them. Can the House of Rooks truly succeed in bringing the "Black Port of Cyrim" to its knees, as they have sworn?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. Rook of Blades

Rook of Blades Artisan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The name Dragonport is tentative, and liable to change in the future. The more I've thought about it, I've also decided that, since Dragonport hasn't had any specific setting and/or style and/or culture, but more been your far too general, far too hazy medieval port, I'm going to make it into somewhat of a Roman/Babylonian style port in a similar kingdom. This means there'll be gladiatorial games on great amphitheaters, in the city, and there'll also be regular theater, wrestling, public debates, and other interesting spectacles in the streets, for the entertainment of its citizens. Just a random note on the city of Dragonport. :D

So far the outline is coming along decently. I've been in a slump the last week or so where I haven't worked on it at all, but now I'm back in business. :D