My Sword Vandor

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by The Hunter, Mar 24, 2005.

1. The Hunter

The Hunter New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm here to describe my sword to you all.I got it custom maded for my birthday.It has a 62cm long blade which is false edged and has an engraving in gold "Vandor" which means Slayer of Shadows.The handguard is in the shape of a dodecagon (12 sides).On the handguard is 4 sapphires and in the middle engraved in silver is the Bortae clan (my family) insignia.The hilt has a gold engraving of a dragon on it.The sword was made of titanium and a bit of iron.Gold was 24 carot.sapphires are real and the silver is pure.The sword has an overall length of 108cm.And since this sword was custom made it cost a bloody fortune!It cost $399.95 plus $48.75 shipping fear so its a pretty good birthday present!Well tell me what you all think of my very own sword.

2. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Please give me your email address so I can forward you my full catalogue of Admantium-coated platinum swords with kryptonite inlays.

Every order made gets a booklet on how swords are made and how to get a clue.

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    um if you think a 399.95 plus 48.75 shipping is expensive you relaly dont know much at all about swords.
    thats about the price for a decent massprduced sword.

And what languae is "vandor" from?

4. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, he's young.
    I recently custom-made a matched pair of "Pirate Swords" with 25 inch high carbon spring steel blades and antler grips for 100$ U.S.
    The blades look more like big "Bowie" blades but are well balanced.
    As soon as the guy gives me the money plus shipping they are his.
    Of course it was partly a favor for a friend.
    Steelpounder

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  5. charlie

charlie Wanna be knight.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sounds cool, where did you order it?

6. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    lol...i might have to get one of those Admantium-coated platinum swords with kryptonite inlays...can you point me in the right direction...j/k...

Seriously though this is a very interesting...what you describe for that price...i suppose its possible...but unfortuantely i can't really make sense out of it...sorry...perhaps when you get it you'll have to post some pictures...

7. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Nobody is denying that "A" custom sword can be made for $400, but

a) they don't make swords out of titanium. Period. And even if it was the processes to form it would drive the cost way over $400

b) REAL sapphires? $400? Obviously someone has no connection with a jeweller. Try buying ONE ring with ONE decent sized sapphire for your wife -- more than $400.

Sounds like somebody is wishful thinking.

8. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah my only point is that the guy seemed to think that $400 was a lot of money to spend on a custom sword. The production sword I want to buy its $540 and thats with out custom work.
    And as for the other stuff, that sword sounds UGLY
    And Titanium and its alloys are not something you want to amke a sword of. Its too light and somewhat soft I beleive.

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hey, this is the Fantasy Forum right guys? That's got to be the most fantastical sword I've ever heard of.

10. Cudgel

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah fantastical in that he must ahve stumbled upon a some dwarves or soemthing to amke him this sword for such a cheap price. titanium isnt cheap to work with. It has to be forged at high temperatures and in a specail atmosphere other wise it oxidizes something awful and its not cheap to even to have jsut made by stock removal. i think that you have to use lasers to cut it properly.

11. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Well there you are, a good old-fashioned fantasy sword(how impossible does that sound?) No offense meant or anything, but as was already stated...a custom sword for that bargain is a little far'fetched don't you think?

12. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Well, USD$400 could buy you a very nce custom sword (if not adorned with jewels and precious metals) made by a talented smith with a lower profile than some of the big names out there. Like any other business, you can't start out at premium prices with an unknown reputation. That takes time to build.

Heck, I'm friends with a really talented smith who lives here in Western Australia. He makes great stuff but his business has only been running for a couple of years, so word of mouth and web hits are still building. So I've been putting in orders like crazy before he raises his prices to the level they deserve to be at hehehe :)

13. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Ya know, that is very true mububban, Joe Piela does not charge that much for his swords custom or not...I stand corrected.