My story

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Khrinz, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Khrinz

Khrinz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings travellers. I would like to preface by saying that I am fairly new to writing but have always been a fan of fantasy. I decided to write a story online that anyone can check in on as it developes. I have been trying to adapt to writing for an internet audiance, you will mostly notice this as the pace is faster than you will find in any paperback. I figured I would post the first chapter here and if you would like to read the rest you are welcome to www.khrinz.com.

2. Khrinz

Khrinz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The watcher sat perched upon the rooftop silently observing the woman on the street below him. She played her part to perfection, looking around anxiously as if she were afraid to walk alone in the night. The watcher could not help but to think to himself how well she looked in her long dress, if he did not know better he would take her for any other merchant's wife, which, of course, was her intention. Her scent drifted up to him, there were no hint of fear in it. He knew her smell well but it was hard to make out under the perfume she wore, another oddity for her. She turned into a dark alley, the best place for him to ambush her. He had no doubt this is where they had a trap waiting for him. If only they knew what was in store for them. He allowed himself a quiet chuckle.

Khrinz moved along the dark road as quietly as he could. He could almost imagine himself being a thief sneaking along in the night or even an assassin. He had no such nefarious mission however. He was simply off to pick up some wine for Mrs. Tynington. She was kind enough to offer him some work and he was glad to have it. Khrinz parents had died a few years back and they did not leave him much to his name, just a run down old house. He was of average height but his scrawny frame made him seem taller. His hair looked like he cut it himself in front of a cracked mirror mostly because he did cut it himself in front of a mirror that was most certainly cracked. He did whatever odd jobs he could get but there were not many to be had. To fend off starvation he had even stolen some food at times and thankfully he had not been caught. The reason he did not want to attract attention where to avoid his peers. He was scrawny and without elders to protect him he was an easy target for bullies. He stopped dead in his tracks when he heard some voices around the corner. He dared a look around the corner seeing the Hellington brothers talking to some girls. He could make out Cecilia there, the most beautiful girl in all of Longgrass.
    -"I can't wait to see the paladin Jhotein." Cecilia said, "They say he is the most beautiful man in all the realms. Fair and brave" It was not hard to realize what they were talking about. The whole town were talking about the same thing. The heroes of the war were coming to visit they would arrive with a caravan tomorrow, at least three of the four who had slain the arch lich Kheilomir.
    -"Pfft, I am looking forward to seeing Gaurok the dwarf myself. They say he was swallowed by a dragon once but he was hard as stone and the dragon had to spit him out again" answered Geir, the younger of the two brothers.
    -"Nah, Zillinzi will be the one I will see first. I hear her beauty might even rival yours Cecilia." Said Tyim Hellington. The brothers were separated by less than a year and it was often difficult to tell them apart. Cecilia blushed and giggled in response.
    -"It is too bad the elf mage Apyrous will not be with them. I hear there is trouble with the dark elves moving towards the elven homelands. I hope it is not another big war coming."
    -"I am sure there is not. Our armies would not be marching north to clean up the last remnants of the undead if there was risk of another war." Geir chipped in. He saw something in the corner of his vision. "Well, well, well. What have we here, are you listening in on us Khrinz? That is not very well mannered." Khrinz had let his mind wander of with thoughts of the great heroes, now it was too late. He could run but he would look like a coward in the eyes of the girls, so he wandered out trying to look as if he was just rounding the corner and just noticed them.
    -"Hey guys. I am just on my way to pick up some wine from old man Dermin." His heart started racing as they all made their way over towards him, blocking his path.
    -"No, you were listening in on us. I am sure of it." Geir finished by pushing him in the chest, making Khrinz staggering backwards a few steps.
    -"Watch yourself Geir." Khrinz bravado was false and he knew that Geir knew it but he could not help himself.
    -"Really? And what can you do?" He further drove his point home as his fist reached Khrinz's stomach, doubling him over. He pushed Khrinz to the ground and sat over him, pinning his arms to the ground. "What were you going to do,huh?" He slowly started some spit to drip out of his mouth towards the helpless young man below him. The humiliation was complete as it hit Khrinz in the face. He felt angry and helpless, humiliated and hurt but nothing cut as deep as Cecilia's laughter.

Zillinzi hated the dress she was in. She could feel it snagging around her legs, limiting her movement. The itching between her shouldblades would not go away and she was sure she was being watched. She knew better than to doubt her instincts when it came to these matters. They knew there was a vampire in the town. Jhotein had sensed it as soon as they had arrived. They weren't due until the night after but they had made it a habit of scouting out the places they visited on their tour themselves.
    -"Oh my, what have we here." Even though she had expected something to happen she was startled. The voice was less than three yards away and she had heard nothing. No one had been able to sneak that close to her since she was seven years old. She turned around ready to give up the charade.
    -"Just little o.." her voice trailed of in genuine surprise. The creature before her was not what she had expected. It was a vampire but unlike any other she had seen. He was tall, well over six feet with long black hair and piercing black eyes made to seem even darker by his pale skin but what really stood out was that this vampire had not been a man but rather an elf. Being turned into a vampire had to be a voluntary act and whilst the temptation of everlasting life and power was overwhelming for many a man few elves ever accepted the bargain. He had an air of supreme confidence about him and she grew curious about him, forgetting she was supposed to play the part of a helpless victim. "Who are you?"
    -"My name is Mieltior. Do not be alarmed if you have not heard of me, I seek no fame and so my name is not well travelled."
    -"If you are looking for an easy meal you are mistaken my dear Mieltior." Zillinzi drew forth both of her silver blades from their hiding spots beneath the dress. Behind the vampire two very familiar shapes appeared.
    -"An elf vampire? Bah, I guess you couldn't bear being a pansy elf so you decided to kill yourself, eh?" Gaurok was clearly not as impressed by the pale blood drinker before them. Next to him Jhotein casually rested his two-handed hammer over his left shoulder.
    -"Tell us what you are doing here vampire and we will make your death less humiliating." Mieltior just smiled and darted off over the nearest wall.
    -"Bah, I hate it when they run. How am I supposed the look pretty in the morning without my twelve hours of sleep?" The dwarf asked aloud earning him some friendly laughs from his friends. Zillinzi quickly removed the dress she was wearing to make herself more maneuvarable. She had short breeches underneath as well as an enchanted ringmail covering her torso. The friends set of after the elusive vampire.

Khrinz swore to the night sky to never be helpless again. Adding to the pain was the feeling of gratefulness that they had not taken his money this time. Most likely since he had mentioned where he was going and so they probably guessed it would not be his. He made his way along the cobbled street when he saw someone move ahead of him. Longgrass was a small town and there were not many in the city he did not know, at least their faces but he had never seen the pale elf moving before him. Without a sound the elf hurried down the street. He heard a voice exclaim behind him,
    -"He went this way." Khrinz turned around to see who it belonged to and saw a blond warrior in shining platemail running after the vampire he was followed by a dwarf wielding a large axe and a stunning woman who wore a silver sword in each hand. It was as if they had jumped out of the stories and legends he had heard over the last years and he knew instantly these were the fabled heroes, the ones who had slain the arch lich, the ones who had stopped the war. Without knowing why he started chasing after them, keeping 20 paces or so behind them

Mieltior knew without looking back his followers were still after him. He could easily outrun them but that was not the plan. The difficult part was moving so fast that they thought he was running for his life but not so fast that they could not follow. He thought he did a good job of it. He had a new master now and while his armies were not as vast as his old ones he was more cunning. The first attack on their enemies would be to their morale, slaying the legendary heroes would weaken the humans will to fight but would also cause division between the races. An added benefit would be that some of the splinter factions of the old undead armies might decide to join his new master. Mieltior did not much care for the war one way or another it was just the means to an end. He needed the war to be successful, at least until they had taken the Nargeth capitol of Huandeen so he could get what he had been waiting for all this time. The road there however was long and tonight was another critical step so here he was running from his attackers leading them closer and closer to the barn.

-"He ran in there." Zillinzi was breathing hard, the vampire had been fast and keeping up with him had been exhausting. "Into that barn. There is no other way out unless he cuts his way through the wall. This is our chance."
    -"Then lets not waste it chattering away lass. Charge!" Gaurok were eager to fight as always. The heroes made their way to the dark barn and strode in thru the open door. They were on their heels, sensing a new danger. Jhotein muttered a quick prayer and holy light flowed through him into his hammer making the hammers head light up brighter than any torch. Mieltior stood leaning casually against the back wall of the barn. In the hay on either side of the barn lay bones, all looked as if they had been dug up of the ground very recently. A slightly hunched over human in a dark green cloak and a dirty green robe stood in the shadows to the side. Neither of these things registered more than vaguely though for their gazes went to the imposing figure in the center of the room. The creature stood six and a half feet tall, clad in black mail darker than the night. Under the slit where a human's eyes would be were two glowing red orbs staring back at them, the rest of the head as well as the body were covered in his black armour. Spikes stood out from his shoulder and two horns pointed up from his helmet. In his left hand he held a large shield with a red skull on it and in his right a big hammer with evil red runes covering its head. They could see no facial expression and yet they could almost sense that he, it, was amused. When it spoke its voice sounded as if it was death itself, cold, powerful and eternal.
    -"Welcome heroes. It is an honour to finally meet such distinguished individuals in the flesh."
    -"Who. What are you?" Asked Zillinzi quietly.
    -"How rude of me. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Zachariel the death knight." They had all faced death knights before, awe inspiring and frightening creatures as they were Zachariel seemed as much a death knight as a dragon is a lizard. While death knights had magical auras made to frighten lesser men they could simply sense the great power emanating from the manifestation before them. "I fear this is the end of the line for you."
    -"Ya dun scare me ya big bucket," the dwarf shouted. He charged head first at the death knight.

Khrinz heard some sounds from the barn then there was a loud crash as something came flying through the barn wall slamming into the brick wall next to Khrinz. To his surprise it was Gaurok. The dwarf got up of his feet and looked very wobbly then he banged his hand on his helmet to clear his head. Gaurok looked at Khrinz and spit out a mouthful of blood then with a roar he ran back into the barn. Khrinz could not help but pity whatever had angered the stout dwarf.

As Gaurok made it back in he saw Zillinzi fighting the vampire, two silver blades crossing two dark red. She was holding her own albeit just barely. The room was now occupied by six reanimated skeleton meaning the man in green had to be a necromancer. If he were cut down the skeletons would all collapse. The dwarf charged towards the unseemly looking human and found his way blocked by skeletons. He easily cut the first one in half but it left his right side exposed and he took a nasty hit from another one there. He answered by chopping the head of his attacker, one less to stand in his way.

Zillinzi could not help but to feel like a fraud. The vampire was pressing her hard. His deadly dark red blades made her hand tremble every time she parried his hard swings. She could not help but to think of Apyrous. It had been him that had slain Kheilomir. There were no one that could wield magic as he did, no human, elf or even undead. He had saved their lives numerous times and she believed the dark elves, the Na'Nuathan, feared him to the point they dared not wage war on their hated kin because of him. She could feel Mieltior toying with her and she was hoping that in his arrogance he would blunder enough that she could take advantage. She were great with her swords, few men could match her. Several times she had found herself outmatched but the men had fallen, as they had not realized how big of a threat she was. Her adversary made flamboyant moves, often unleashing spinning attacks and wide attacks. Attacks that would leave a mortal too open but he was so fast and so strong she found herself fighting for dear l ife without offering any effective counterattack at all. She did not enjoy being played with and she vowed to herself she would not die to this no name vampire she had never heard of before.

Jhotein felt this had gone on long enough. He was the strongest of his order and he did not doubt his capabilities. Calling to his god with a word he unleashed the light within him, he started to glow. Any human looking directly at him would find the light almost blinding, any undead that was not just disintegrated would be at least incapacitated. He could not maintain it for long but he would not have too. He took a quick step to the side knowing Zachariel would be unable to see him and he raised his hammer for a powerful blow. With all his strength he swung down expecting the death knight to crumble before him but the impossible happened. The black shield had easily caught his attack and now he was left exposed. Zachariel's hammer quickly countered to Jhoteins left knee. He could not help but fall as his knee broke.

Gaurok saw his friend fall and decided to leave the necromancer for now. He took a long leap towards the death knight to buy his friend time to heal. He swung with the intensity of a berserker, chopping wildly and savagely, his axe striking past the shield, connecting with armour. The dwarf was too much in a maddened state to realize he did not even put a dent in impossibly strong armour. Jhotein was grateful for his friends help and made sure to make the best of it, he cast a healing spell on his knee. It mended in seconds and he got back to his feet ready to fight. Just as he got up he saw Zachariels wicked weapon crushing into Gaurok's head. The dwarf went down in a heap not to get up again.
    -"No! You filth!" The paladin attacked with renewed fervor and the death knight found himself on the defensive.

Zillinzi hardly had time to register her friend going down. She was in the fight of her life and she could feel her arms tiring. She stepped back hoping to get some room to manouver when to her surprise her assailant did not follow, instead he stopped and looked as if he were looking at someone he just danced with rather than involved in a life and death struggle with.
    -"Would you like a moment to catch your breath fair lady?" She could not help but notice the pleasure in his voice.
    -"Who are you?" It was not possible a creature such as this had been hidden. He was old, she could sense it and there were less than a handful of known elven vampires in existence and he was not one of them.
    -"Since we have shared these moments I will make this promise, before you die I will tell you my elven name." With that he attacked again, this time without the flair, just hard and fast swings. Within moments she felt her left arm being cut and her legendary sword fell to the ground. Then almost too fast to see he moved around on her now unprotected side to her back and grabbed her good arm in a vice like grip. He leaned in as if to gently kiss her neck. He moved her hair back from her ear and whispered a name. Her last word was an inaudible whisper,
    -"Impossible." Then his fangs sunk into her neck and he started to drink her blood.

-"You have fought well Paladin. I see that your reputation is well deserved. Against any other foe you would have been victorious. The world will be less interesting without you in it." Jhotein was in pain. His anger had let him pummel away fearlessly but now when it started to dissipate into sadness he started to understand what it had cost him. He had taken several vicious hits to his side and several ribs had been broken and one of his lungs punctured. The paladin could not put any weight on his left leg his hip had been shattered. It felt as if in slow motion when he saw the hammer approaching this time without him being able to stop it. He could clearly make out the glowing red runes on the black hammer and although he did not know what they meant he was certain they were divine in nature. His life had been a long hard struggle for the forces of good and light. There had been pain and sorrow. His body scared and his road long, at last he would rest. At last he would know peace.

3. TheWarrior

TheWarrior The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Exiting story, really liked it;) I thought much of world of warcraft when i read this, is there a reason:p?
    Creepy vampire though:p

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. Khrinz

Khrinz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am glad you liked it. I have played some WoW so it may show in my writing but I have tried to create my own fantasy world with bits and pieces that I like from other sources.