my play

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by olivia_the_lamb, Sep 23, 2008.

1. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    I just got this message from my Thea101 instructor:

About the ten-minute play: why do I care about these two folks? Are they comical? To a point, yes, but actually how much fun is to be had with folks that are neither antagonists or protagonists, supposedly merciless in their murdering, and hoping to find a new life in a slum in Sydney? I'd think the smart thing to do is to start over with new folks: relationship solid in brothers and sisters, man and wife, something real that seems to be going one way but surprises us in the final page or two...something like responsibilties to one another, generosity, emotional support or something real...in these contexts change can happen much easier, because you can keep your audience in suspense longer...think about it. Its not that what you've done is bad, its just hard to care about and harder still to see any change come over them in the play as it stands now. Think about it...I believe it would be easier to start fresh than to try to revise what you have. Mike

So now I have to rewrite my 10 minute play. I am pretty upset. Everyone else is writing about these people who's parents have left them stranded, girls that are in love, or things that are just so common. I don't care about any of those things. All of that stuff is overdone. He over-analyzed Bryan and Ry. It's not about love or anything else that is boring. It's about two crazy people. How hard is that to see? There's a climax, they do hold responsibilities, etc. And no antagonist? THEY ARE THE ANTAGONISTS! Against each other, against the world... I don't want to write about normal things.

This is why I hate school. Even the best class will constrict your creative flow.

(if you know your response is going to get a rise out of me, please refrain from posting. I'm not in the mood and I will report you.)

2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    That's garbage, in that situation it's never easier to rewrite the entire work, it'd be easier to just play up the status of them being on the lamb more, not only does it give more conflict to the story but it also gives the ending that element of being open to interpretation if you make it seem more like the law is coming for them. Sounds like your teacher has just never read a good crime story from the perspective of the criminals.

3. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I say stuff the total rewrite, just tweak what you've got. I've no idea what the play is about but if he wants relationship, work on the dependency within the relationship between the two characters ~ maybe one starts 'weaker' going along with the other but then have the relationship shift, so your early perceptions are turned on their head. Then just blow a big raspberry at your instructor ;)

4. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    But that's not what it's about. These 2 criminals are just enjoying their criminal life. There is no love or romance, in fact, they have tried to kill each other quite a few times. The play is comedic.

I sent this:

I don't understand why you want me to write something typical? I thought theatre was fugitive. Oh well. Thanks for your time.

Rhiannon

and he sent:

Theatre is about people that matter; and it also has a beginning middle and end with a major decision or life changing event known as the climax just before the play comes to conclusion. Typical people have enormous potential for all sorts of things. Start another one. Mike

uuuuugh :mad:

5. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Who said the relationship had to be romantic? Why are the two of them 'partners in crime'? Or aren't they? Why do they keep trying to kill each other ~ incompetence, rivalry, wanting to be free of the other...?

6. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    They are... but my prof wants like romance and "real" relationships. It's shite.

7. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    That is really gay.. I thought your play was really good!

I now pledge my life to destroying Mikey.

8. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    lol that's it ~ make your play about a shared campaign of revenge against Mikey (who did ? to them) but they keep on killing the wrong Mikey, a comedy of errors and they keep falling out over whose fault it was :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  9. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    LOL... he's not as cool as I thought he was :(

I don't think he'd appreciate that, but that's hilarious.

10. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    What the hell?! I loved it!!!!

I would say just blow off the rewrite, but if that is what he is wanting, and sadly (very sadly) sometimes you have to appease the teacher, then I guess try something else that he wants. I know that sucks ass, but you might have to give in. I hate it when people try to stifle creativity because they want something traditional, gah that's annoying.

i could have sworn your teacher would have loved it, I know I did.

I do like Ella's idea of the killing of the mikey's, hell if you want to do it just give the name a slight twist haha.

11. Cymoril

Cymoril New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So now I have to rewrite my 10 minute play. I am pretty upset. Everyone else is writing about these people who's parents have left them stranded, girls that are in love, or things that are just so common. I don't care about any of those things. All of that stuff is overdone. He over-analyzed Bryan and Ry. It's not about love or anything else that is boring. It's about two crazy people. How hard is that to see? There's a climax, they do hold responsibilities, etc. And no antagonist? THEY ARE THE ANTAGONISTS! Against each other, against the world... I don't want to write about normal things.

This is why I hate school. Even the best class will constrict your creative flow.

(if you know your response is going to get a rise out of me, please refrain from posting. I'm not in the mood and I will report you.)[/QUOTE]

I can synpathize with you, I really can. I majored in theater for a while and I fancied myself a playwright. The one thing I learned, in the beginning stages of becoming a writer, is that until you are at a really competant stage in your writing, you need to have some sort of resolvable conflict. And it doesn't have to be a humungous plot point that ecompasses your worldview of life. It can center around your characters, however crazy you want them to be, but they need to have a conflict and then come to a resolution. It could be about who is going to eat the last bit of cake. It could be how they're getting out of jail or who gets to knife the bank manager or whatever. A beginning, middle and an end is a must. Eventually, you can break free of these constraints and really make something "fugitive" but as you learn what works in theater, you should probably try to listen to what your instructor is trying to teach you. It sounds like he's not saying it in a way you want to hear.
    Take my advice, or leave it. It's not like I ever became Sam Sheppard or anything...

12. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    none of this matters. it's stupid. i'm going to write a play about two gay guys now.

13. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, not all film teachers share your views on crazy people. And yes, over-used stuff like love and relationship issues can get boring after a while.

When in doubt, do what all amateur film-makers do and make a low-budget ninja film in a forest somewhere.

14. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    This is one of the stories you will say when you are famous and successful...how a stupid teacher long ago couldn't see your talent when he had the chance..and instead of putting you down he made you more determined to succeed :D

15. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0

Shall I get my lump of 2X4?

16. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
  17. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I need a name, address and a picture of the vict......... targ..............subject.

18. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    loool I don't know his address and he goes by two names :S

19. Kaine999

Kaine999 ┼╫£ §₧£§╫µ⌠

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Ok, then both names, and I need full names, a pic, or a GOOD description, I can "acquire" the rest.

20. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    .. lool no I need him to teach the class