My own mythos

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by GrimWarlock, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Wonderfulhugs

Wonderfulhugs Fred The Sabertooth

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    Thank you Black Tattoo. I greatly appreciate that comment.

And to GrimWarlock,

They have one weakness, there are a set of weapons called the Forgotten Weapons. These weapons have special traits. Two of them are called Forgotten Blades that posses untold enchantments that some believe will grant unimaginable power. But really the main secret and power the two blades possess are two tiny scrolls hidden in their handles with two spells of great destruction, the only two spells that can kill a dragon without much effort. Anyways, there are two other Forgotten Weapons that have ancient enchants that can steal the Fruenbah'eye's druidic powers for a short time to use against them, the only magic that causes them any real damage. The weapons also drain the life essence of the Fruenbah'eye giving the weapon user the strengths of the Fruenbah'eye. Other than weakness to their own druidic magics and the weakness of those two weapons crafted to kill them, the Fruenbah'eye have no other weaknesses.

2. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    Black Tattoo,

Woolverton is going to be giving everyone in the world of Ryend major trouble. He will raise an army of werewolves to destroy the other races and attempt to control the entire world. His mixed heritage may have given him several advantages but its drawback is that he is somewhat insane.

I cant wait to let you read the first book in my series. :)

3. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I'll be honest, I can't wait to read it! :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    well... It is my great displeasure to tell you that you made this race ridicilously powerful. They are weak to nothing but their own magic or really powerful enchanted weapons a.k.a can't be beaten by nothing but a handful of people with these weapons, or by somebody else of their own race. Really think about how they compare to normal people, they are: great hunters, great herbalists, great mages capable of using unique form of magic, near invulnerable against all other magic, great strenght, great intelligence, great lifespan, great everything... Soooo... What is the downside again? What is the argument you have for them not already ruling over all of creation? Sorry but, I think they're overpowered and I suggest a bit of weakening here and there, not necessarily bringing them into something low, in fact leave it all as it is if you want - but add something a bit more common than "Rare set of Relic Weapons with awe inspiring power" that is actually capable of doing something to them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    if they have only one weakness, what are they striving for? hell even elves have weaknesses. I do like the idea but I agree with Grim. with my race (earlier in the thread) one of their bigger weaknesses that I don't think I mentioned is that they are very militaristic, which causes them to always be fighting. they're society is built around conflicts between two or more clans or families for natural resources like a lake or a small woodland or even a mountain. the larger families have a decent amount of territory but it doesn't compare to they're golden age, which was still large warlands and full of conflict.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    The Fruenbah'eye dont need to strive for anything. As I have stated earlier they are reclusive and do not interact with the world so no one knows much about them or even sees them. Besides why would I want to follow the guidelines of the rest of the world? Everyone loads their races down with all sorts of weaknesses. I am not following the trend of every other writer. Im starting my own guidelines. Every race in my books have barely any weaknesses so that the fighting between them will be on a whole new level. Even humans in my world live for 400 years and are almost as fast and strong as vampires. So, tell me, why should I do what every single writer in the world does? Why cant I just create my own guidelines instead of being a copy cat like everyone else? The Fruenbah'eye are a very peaceful and reclusive race dude so world domination is not their interest. They are not power hungry savages like standard humans bro. Not trying to be rude just stating a point, being different is better than being the same as everyone else.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  7. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    If the Fruenbah'eye were involved with the world I would have placed something similar to your warring weakness. The werewolves in my books have a weakness to vampire bites (slowly kills), and to bloodlust, they cant control their urge to taste blood so they are always hunting and being hunted. Vampires in my books are not weak to sunlight at all. Silver still kills but only slowly like a potent poison and a werewolf bite will disorient them momentarily. Again I ask, why should I be like every other writer? Why not do my own thing to be different. Besides im bored with every idea people use for their creatures such as vampires and werewolves and such. Use your imagination dude, be difderent, have your own ideas and guidelines. Dont folow the rules of other writers. Not trying to be rude just making a point.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  8. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    To your dismay although imagination is limitless realism is not, therefore using imagination in a realistic manner does have its limits. I'm not asking you to follow specific instructions or rules, after all fantasy is a pretty flexible genre. What I do ask of you is to sit down and think about how it would apply in an actual world. Not just how good something can be but also how bad. I believe a friend of mine put it best by saying: "Imagination is both magnificent and horrifying for what it offers."

And finally: you honestly shouldn't just dismiss critique just because. I learned more about being a good writer from a guy in a forum who pedantically scrutinized every single word I wrote in the "Stories" section, than from a whole bunch of friends telling me how great and creative I am.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    Lmao dude your talking out your asshole now. How in the world can you even put created creatures such as Fruenbah'eye and werewolves and such into a bracket of realism? Hahahahaha wow dude thats just plain stupid right there. Its called imagination because it isnt real dude. How in the world can an imagined creature have realistic limitations? Are you even listening to yourself? I have heard some stupid people in my day but woooow you take the cake. Its writers such as yourself that have ruined the imaginative possibilities of fantasy. Trying to put strict guidelines and limitations on the works of imagination is a crime against ones own self and against the readers of fantasy. Google the words FANTASY and IMAGINATION. You obviously need a reminder on what those words mean.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. dgstorm

dgstorm Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Please be respectful and keep your discussions constructive. Name-calling and personal attacks do nothing to further the discussion. They simply escalate hard feelings. Consider this an unofficial, friendly warning. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Child I will put this as simplistic as I possibly can.

1. You asked "How in the world can you even put created creatures such as Fruenbah'eye and werewolves and such into a bracket of realism?":

For this you need to first understand how imagining things and creating a world, its own set of creatures, and its own laws works like. Imagine yourself as an artist with a blank sheet of paper - it doesn't have anything on it. You're allowed to draw anything you want, in whatever style you want, in whatever order you want. However, once you draw something, no matter what, it starts being there and therefore affects how the entire picture looks. In the same way, the moment you sat down and wrote the very first sentence, realising it or not, you already started creating a set of rules for the imagined world, these rules are real only in their own realm but that is quite enough to limit your options in imagination. You are not allowed to act against the rules once you have set them yourself.

2. Next you say "Hahahahaha wow dude thats just plain stupid right there. Its called imagination because it isnt real dude."

Yes, imagination is not real. However no matter how creative you got, you are being limited by your own beliefs and way of rationalising the world. As I said, imagination becomes limited simply because it creates things. By itself it is limitless, but this is not imagination itself we are talking about, or have ever actually talked about - we talked about an idea. And this idea had its rules, and they were supposed to work in some way. That alone is enough to make it unable to break the rules simply because the idea itself sets them up by existing.

3. "Are you even listening to yourself?"

That would be a yes, and also the more accurate formulating of the question would be "Did you even read what you wrote before posting?"

4. "I have heard some stupid people in my day but woooow you take the cake. Its writers such as yourself that have ruined the imaginative possibilities of fantasy."

I have to say that I am greatly amused how you concluded all this by conversing with me for several posts.

5."Trying to put strict guidelines and limitations on the works of imagination is a crime against ones own self and against the readers of fantasy."

Then by your own reasoning imagination itself is a crime - for it is what puts the limitation on its own works so that it can give them a form. Hell you reasoned - that is a limitation you give, because you said something is incorrect and should not be done - therefore disagreeing with it and saying it should be limited.

6. "Google the words FANTASY and IMAGINATION. You obviously need a reminder on what those words mean"

Again, I am most amused.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    Understood dgstorm. I apologize for name calling. I got a little carried away.

And to you Grimwarlock,

I am not going to read all that useless opinion you posted in response to my last comment because I have already proven that your imagination is seriously lacking depth. There is no way on this world you can put limitations on someones imagination. Following the guidelines other writers have placed on creatures and fantasy only puts the writer into a hole of dead imagination. Have some originality kid, dont be a copy cat like so many others before you. Open your mind and set your own guidelines to fantasy. I believe you honestly believe what I say is true you just have an overbearing and uncontrollable urge to argue so therefore you cannot openly admit defeat. Not trying to be rude or mean but the thoughts of someone who places limitations on imagination is not worth paying mind to. I do wish you luck on finding the true potential of imagination though. Good bye Grimwarlock, I have nothing more to prove. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

If imagination isn't rooted in reality then what connection to it will a reader have? The trick of good fantasy writing is to make it as real as possible, or else it loses its intimacy.
    Imagination is really nothing more than an extrapolation of reality. When it goes too far beyond reality it loses structure and becomes foreign, and doesn't really mean anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Again child, you are really amusing, first you never proved anything, simply stated a personal opinion without giving any argument or fact to support it, by not reading "all that useless opinion" I gave you, you never actually knew what I said, furthermore after not so much as looking at the opinion of a person other than yourself, you state that I am the close minded one, thats great bravery on your side, congrats. Second - how do you even state I have no originality, or I am a "copycat"(it is spelled together y'know) OR in fact not having an open mind by never reading any of my work. Third - I never stated anything that actually said that you should follow a strict set of rules and guidelines, I merely explained how exactly fantasy becomes relevant to reality and why it needs some realism into it. Oh such is my uncontrollable urge to argue that I told you I didn't like something you did and asked you to take a look at it... What a blind pathetic fool I am :D:D:D. Lastly - Sparrow here said it perfectly, couldn't have put it better myself.

Well... I feel sorry for having to say goodbye, you were really fun to have around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    That is an interesting way to look at it Sparrow. But i firmly believe that imagination can go anywhere even away from reality. I have read a few things that were not rooted by reality at all and my mind had zero trouble understanding it. The works i read did not lack structure, in fact they possessed even more structure because they were not limited by reality. Imagination doesnt need to be rooted by reality. Thats why its called imagination. Readers are generally intelligent and do not need the fantasy to be rooted down or limited to understand it. The human mind is capable of limitless imagination so why should we hinder it in any way? Some people may never be able to break through these silly attachments of limited thinking or creativeness but everyone is not the same. Anyways, all this was started over one race I created. Just because I didnt load my race down with tons of weaknesses does not mean they are not worth having in my world. If a writer wishes to have a peaceful race with only two weaknesses then so be it. And if there is a writer that wishes to have a race with zero weaknesses then so be it. Although I must agree that every race should have at least one flaw. My Fruenbah'eye have two.

Grim, I already told you I refuse to be trolled by you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ And there we have it finally. Imagination truly can go anywhere even away from reality, that is in no way wrong. And yes, there can be something not neccessarily existing in reality that is interesting and understandable. However reality is always there, it always and that means ALWAYS affects what you imagined. The very fact that you know of the concept "race" or "imagination" or in fact any concept at all already places atleast a tiny bit of reality into the work since these concepts are inherently existing therefore real. Imagination by itself is not rooted by reality, but rather based about our understanding of it. You can have a fantasy based on a more realistic setting but it can never be fully real, although that also applies to the other possibility - creating something that is based outside of reality can never be fully unreal. While the human mind is technicaly capable of limitless imagination in practise that is impossible, but if I deviate into explaining why exactly I'd go into biology and psychology territory so for the purpose of this conversation I just accept that it is infinite. Anyway back on subject, you said: why hinder? Counterquestion: Why do you think being realistic hinders?

And yes we started this over the argument that you created a race. And that race had two weaknesses. Again proving you never read my post fully, I self-quote:
    "...I suggest a bit of weakening here and there, not necessarily bringing them into something low, in fact leave it all as it is if you want - but add something..."
    Not being weak does not make them not worth. Being a peaceful race with few weaknesses is fine. Race with zero weaknesses.... Well we've had these nearly since the dawn of mankind and an individual of this weakness-less race is called a god/ddess. And I would say that I'm very much agreeing with you on "every race should have atleast one flaw". Now I'm spelling this out and honestly not knowing why, seeing how you won't read it anyway: It's not about that they didn't have flaws, it was about these flaws being commonly unappliable.

Well if you refuse to be trolled then I suppose I have lost the option of changing the point of my argument to that, now PLEASE just read what I posted before saying anything. Conversing with a person who tells you that you're close minded for not obeying and accepting everything he forces down your throat, and tells you how you're wrong without even taking a look at what you actually say is just ridicilous....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    Trolls actually believe I care what they have to say? Grim I still havnt been reading your comments because frankly I dont care what some middle school wannabe has to say. Enjoy the loneliness kid. :')

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    ^ Hiding behind insults, and not proving any of your points simply demonstrates your inability to handle critique maturely, and the fact that you are angered by something as simple as a suggestion for changing something you've done. I have nothing more to say to a person who cannot accept that not everyone who dislike something he does can be something else than trolls.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Wonderfulhugs

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -1
    Lmfao I give you an A for effort.

20. grumpycroc

grumpycroc Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Name-The Quetzal aka the Garuda.

Physical descriptions-Flightless birds with curved, toothed, beaks, grasping talons on their wings, and a large hook like claw on each foot. The men are sometimes admired by other peoples for their colorful, red, and blue plumage.

Real life inspirations-The general organization, and economy of the quetzal is borrowed heavily from the Inca, but their writing system and propensity for poetry is reminiscent of the Aztecs. Their physical appearance is a hodgepodge of a Cassowary, a parrot, a velociraptor, and a terror bird.

Disposition-A proud, race of carnivores respected for their organizational skills, and feared for their military prowess. In their empire they often take on the role soldiers, judges, administrators and other government officials. A few of them are traders, or poets. Poetry is a deeply respect art among the Quetzal. They have invented their own writing system, and insist that they are the first people to invent it. To suggest otherwise is to risk a war. Note another race, the Naga, also claim to be the first people to have writing. The two races have a long history of warring against each other.

Society-Being warm blooded carnivores makes it near impossible to have a population large enough to form a strong society with the divisions of labor to spur economic growth. So they have incorporated herbivorous peoples, such as humans, into their ranks. These plant eating people are forced to grow live stock to feed their avian overlords. The quetzal are theoretically ruled by an emperor, but a plethora of written rules allows administrators to function without the emperor, who spends most of his day with all his hens, so judges are responsible for most of the day to day governing activities. For that matter judges can even make new laws through court precedence. Writing is an important prerequisite for advancing in Quetzal society. The herbivorous slaves are forbidden from learning to read and write except for those that are given special permission from a judge. This is rare.

Religion-A few Quetzal still worship the emperor, who is said to be descended from the son, but most have forgotten about this religion. The law has become the new god, for their laws are written into the stone of their temples, and are said to be inspired by the spirits. Poetry is considered a sacred activity, so good poets are the closest thing the quetzal have to priest.

In battle-The Quetzal run at great speeds. They sometimes ride terror birds and flying beast to be faster still. Their tendency to eat their enemies in the midst of battle terrifies many would be opponents. They are equally adept at forming disciplined phalanxes to halt an enemy advance. Though all troops are out fitted with spears and knives, their deadliest weapon is their writings. Pomes are used to excite troops to war, troops are taught to read to spread messages more easily and battles are recorded to the finest possible detail so that lesson can be drawn from them later.

• Creative Creative x 1