My own mythos

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by GrimWarlock, Oct 31, 2013.

1. GrimWarlock

GrimWarlock Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Basicaly this is a thread about creatures you yourself created. A race, a powerful beast, simply a fantasy-ish animal basicaly any creature that you made up for whatever reasons. So anyone?

2. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I've created many races for my books drawn on real-world ancient races and systems for inspiration. One of my favorites are the Junin. They're a kind of Fair Folk that dwell in the realms between the World of Light and the World of Shadow in the Material Realm.

Religion: a variety of Gods and spirits (kami) and ancestors, Susanoo (incarnation of storms and ruler of the seas and storms) worshipped by both races of Junin.

Society: Lords place entire regions under their protection and govern totally if behind the scenes in the Material Realm. Lower level Junin answer to lords who also serve in a military leader capacity. All come from and most live in tribes or clans.

Nature: aloof, dignified; they govern over everything in their selected region whether for good or ill.

Strengths: their powers, speed, weapons imbued with powers.
    Weaknesses: those they care about can be used against them.

Powers: They possess a wide range of supernatural powers that can vary greatly from one tribe, and often one individual, to another with only shapeshifting as the unifying power.

General Appearance:
    Male- 5'9" - 5'11"
    Female- 5'6" - 5'8"
    Build - for both genders, slender, supernaturally strong
    Features - handsome/beautiful, angular, pointed ears, claws

Yoake Junin
    Homeland: Dawn Islands (sky islands in ThoirImeall)
    Deity: Amaterasu (incarnation of the sun)
    Appearance:
    Hair - Black, red or dark blue
    Eyes - red
    Skin - beige skin
    General - usually bear brands of their clan in some way; favor kimonos as clothes
    Live in tribes
    Battle personality - favor distance

Yugure Junin
    Homeland: Dusk Islands (ThiarImeall)
    Deity: Tsukuyomi (incarnation of the moon)
    Appearance:
    Hair - silver, azure, magenta
    Eyes - gold
    Skin - ghost white
    General - usually marked with magickal tattoos of their clan in some way; favor Sashinuki Hakama, (a type of traditional flowing Japanese pants), gathered at the ankles to produce a "ballooning" effect for men, worn loose for women.
    Live in Clans
    Battle personality: favor close combat with swords, but also range with powers

3. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Interesting. To be honest, the only race of creatures that I have ever made are the draylocks. Not much of an achievment

4. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    I've created a mythical creature for my webcomic. They're called the Velella Hella, and they're roughly based on these real life creatures. They don't have any special powers per se, except they're quite partial to nomming on sentient lighthouses. :D

Oh, and Black Tat? The Junin sound pretty cool.

You should tell us a bit more about the Draylock, Grim. I like the name.

5. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Draylocks are pitch black skinned people living in The Burning Lands(A volcanic wasteland)

Society: Draylocks have the belief that every single thing has it's use and purpose, thus their society is one of meritocracy. Thus every draylock has his own place and work to do, based on his or her abilites each one must fulful a Role, the role being their craft, warriors, workers, scholars and so forth. The society is divided into 3 main groups or circles the first one are warriors, second are workers and third are sorcerers.

Religion: Draylocks don't really have gods, they consider religion as blinding and foolish. According to them beliefs are to be placed in actual things, not entities.

Nature: Pragmatic. Otherwise every other personality trait varies - I can't generalize

Strenght: Nearly unbreakable will. Strong, and fight smart. Slight heat resistance, somewhat inflammable
    Weakness: Believe they are right no matter what. Do not interfere with anything that is not their job even if they think they should. Dislike the cold and don't do well in cold areas generally, more prone to hypothermia.

Powers: None that are supernatural if you exclude the mages, but thats something they study and train for, not gain it by simply it being there.

General appearance
    Both males and females are about 2.10 m tall
    Build - Varies, draylocks develop a lot depending on what they do. A warrior would have a completely different build from say a scholar.
    Features - sharp claws and teeth, some of them grow horns.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  6. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Pretty stupid isn't it

7. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Ha ha! NO. It's pretty cool actually. I love that we have such creative minds on this forum. :D

8. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Fantasy always sounds a little weird in draft stuff but in execution it is really hard to botch the fantastical. Work your ideas into a story and they'll always feel more digestible. I was really hesitant to start writing for the game I'm working on because all I had were scattered "cool" ideas. When I finally rolled them together though things started to write themselves as the gravity and themes glued things airtight.

9. FirePhoenix

FirePhoenix Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I write a fantasy in Swedish, but I will translate it to English at some point I hope. I have these creatures that are a little bit like orcs. In my story I call them manshorer. I like the name but don't know if it really works in English. To hard to pronounce perhaps? any ideas for a new name? that are somewhat similar.

10. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Pronounced shore like "ocean shore"? If so it rolls pretty smooth already. I like it enough at least.

11. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Ephemeral :)

Grim Warlock, those Draylocks sound pretty cool!

FirePhoenix, I kinda like 'Manshorer'. I hope you get the chance to translate some of your stuff. I'd be very interested in reading it.

12. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    You really think so?

13. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Good grief! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, Grim Warlock. But yes, very much so! Your Draylocks sound kind of like a dragon-people. I'd be very interested in seeing how they would pan out in a story.

14. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Actualy since I want an actual medieval-ish structure of the world(Meaning no superknowledge and divine powers smashing stuff around)they just like any race in low-tech conditions know little to nothing of their origins. Me being the creator am going to say it straight - Millions of years of evolution, just like any normal creature ever was created. And no they're not dragon-like, in fact not even reptile-like.

Plus since I have dwarf persians, barbarian humans fighting civilised slightly steampunk city elves, and an entire country that actualy accepts necromancy and allows it(under sanction ofcourse)and so forth - Why not one more weird thing.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  15. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I just meant their personalities struck me as dragon-ish, their perceptions and whatnot. But that could just be because of the books I've read. Anywho, not necessarily weird but most definitely interesting.

16. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    I never seen a dragon act this way. Then again most of the dragons I met are either the ridicilous Inheritance dragons or the Badass oblivion that is Generic Dragons

17. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Most of those I've read have been "classical myth" - old, wise, slow to change types. Like in the Borderlands novels.

18. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmm, well there is the thing they are not wise or old - they are pretty much like everyone else if you exclude the philosophy of Order a.k.a "The Order Dictates" this brings me to their failing anything besides the absolute order that is demanded by the culture is considered Chaos. And for the draylocks there is no greater evil than chaos. They basicaly have the world's peoples in 3 parts:
    1.Order Followers - converted peoples that follow draylock philosophy
    2.Unenlightened - anybody who still does not follow the Order but could join(Or forced to join)
    3.Chaos followers - the legitimate bad guys, didn't like the Order and either didn't join or left it: and thats evil

Generaly speaking, your freedom in the Order concludes in - You are free to choose to obey.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    That's really quite a brilliant concept. It'd be very interesting to play out in the world you've created.

20. GrimWarlock

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0
    Why thank you. Nobody said this about my ideas since.... Well thats the first time really.