My new longbow

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Mububban, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Ha, found a photo of me from 2006 using my longbow. Guy borrowing my camera to take a couple of shots of me snapped the moment of release, the arrow is only a few inches from my hand.

How's my release look?

Edit - I remember now, I had no targets arrows of my own then, only combat blunts. So I had to borrow my girlfriend's 26 inch arrows hahaha. That explains the short-drawing and crooked bow arm.

Note the barren native Aussie bush :) Lush it ain't! Lots of brown.
    I'm at Hoddywell archery park's field course with some other local archers from an Aussie archery website.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ good photos, lol at the excuses ~ plenty of arrow still to draw :p

v following double posted

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I thought these videos were pretty cool, showing how much arrows flex on release:

& how to robin hood an arrow...

These are all with modern bows but we'll forgive them that :D

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah that series of videos with the Korean guys is pretty amazing. I do love the super long range shot on the golf course, where the guy nails the yellow nose of the target in windy conditions. A-mazing.

I love all the ignorant comments saying that it's impossible, especially when they reference that shitty Mythbusters episode as "proof" that Robin Hooding is "impossible." Bah! Mythbusters is entertainment, not science. Anyone who's done archery knows it's possibe. The club I visit has a wall of Robin Hooded arrows on display.

5. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I've Robin Hooded a self-nocked arrow (split the wood right down the middle) at 80yds. It was not however intentional, I already had an arrow in the gold and this was supposed to go there too but trashed my arrow in the process ~ it looked good though ~ the other 4 arrows shot that end were nowhere close :D

6. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    One main reason I do not use self nocked arrows is Robin Hooding. Not that I do that a lot, but when practicing I have, too frequently, shot the nock off of arrows in the target. Using plastic ones makes repair very easy.

As for pictures and technique, the only thing I'm seeing is a short draw. I noticed that your bow arm has a slight bend at the elbow and that your shoulders are not in line with the arrow. The theory is that your bow hand, arm, elbow and shoulders are all in one line. The phrase I use with new archers is "bone on bone on bone". This way it takes very little muscle to hold the draw. Next is the elbow of your draw arm. I see it slightly canted in towards the picture view, towards us. That would mean that the forearm of the draw hand is not in line with the arrow shaft. That coupled with your shoulders not in line it appears that you are using what's called an open stance. In this case you would have to hold the draw with your arm muscles. Now if you straighten out your bow arm, line up your shoulders with the arrow shaft, and stick your chest out it would bring your draw elbow and arm in line and allow you to hold the draw with your back muscles. This allows you to hold the darw in a more steady manner and longer before release. So the idea is, better aim.

Now for snap shooting, using the open stance works. The open stance means instead of both toes on line with a line to the target, your back foot is forward of the line to the target. This pulls your shoulders out of line with the arrow shaft. But this form is very useful for snap or quick shooting. Often I will actually use an exagerated closed stance. This is when the back foot is behind the line to the target. It causes my body to have to twist to face the target which accents the shoulder alignment and holding the draw with my back muscles.

And I have found that the whistling points fly just as good as a field point. I typically use a 125 grain head on a 11/32 shaft cut 30 inches long with triple fletch, 5 1/2 inch shield, and plastic nocks. With the whistlers the 10% FOC moves only about 1/2 inch forward on the shaft. For a novelty arrow that's no big deal. I have bodkin points that cause the FOC to move several inches forward!

7. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Well I only took a couple of snaps with my digicam and none of me, but we had a good time at Hoddywell's archery park. We mistakenly did the easy course though, so we had to spice it up by shooting from further back than designed, or between trees etc.

We had 2 selfbows, a horsebow, some recurves, and one compund from a guy we just happened to bump into as he was taking his son out for a day's shooting. Even 100km from the city, Perth's a small place :D

The selfbow in front of the group photo has wood borer holes in the back big enough to poke a pencil into. Paul made it and he's worked around them so it's a real character bow, lots of wiggles and lumps but it's held together with a couple thousands shots so far, with almost no string follow after 3 hours of shooting either. He is a bloody good bowmaker.

Best shot of the day was young Carl nailing a ~70m killshot onto the paper deer. The target was well above us, we saw it from long range and all had one shot each at it. He nailed it in the chest, cracking shot from that range with no other shots to gauge distance. Mine was on line but fell 5m short.

But then we moved up to 30m and kicked its ass :)

Can't wait to go back in a few months and tackle the harder course.

Attached Files:

8. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Love the last one ~ "kill the paper deer don't let it get away" ~ *everyone empties quiver* :D

9. Annatar

Annatar Lord of gifts

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really nice bow!

10. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Saad

Thought folks on this list would be interested. Yesterday, Sunday, we set out the moving targets for our big archery event next weekend. We now have a double pendulum, whack-a-mole, quintain, advancing man, coon up a pole, and wind mill in addition to a 125 yard clout shot and four additional static stations. In the woods I set 12 hunter themed challenging targets where the archers will have to shoot between trees, through bushes, over logs and around trees. I plan to take pictures and will post some here after the shoot. Should be lots of fun.

11. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Southern Atlantian Archery Day, SAAD 3, is in the box. We had 34 archers shooting for score and about 15 who either did not finish the course or choose not to keep score. 12 stations in the field, 12 stations in the woods, and one target-in-the-lake. The picture attached is the Bubba Merry Go Round. It rotates with the targets on the ends of the arms.

Lots of fun, a few lost arrows, but lots of smiles and happy archers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2009
Search tags for this page
archery bows with horn nocks

australian longbow makers

longbow makers australia
longbow nocks
nc longbow makers marks