My Leaf blade is finished!!

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by David S, Oct 8, 2003.

1. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh on the subjest of twisted guards. Thats not so uncommon at all. Here is a pic of a sword, made also by John Lundemo, that i reviewed earlier this year. It features a twisted guard and John has been doing that for LONG before LOTR movies came out. It is also common on rapier baskets as well. [​IMG]

2. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As to what do i do with them? well i cut with them, and no its not boring because I constantly am experimenting with different cutting mediums and types of cuts. Its a learning process. I have been heavily invovled with swords for about 8 years now and i am still learning!
    heres a freeze frame from one of my cutting videos. this is me cutting with the Atrim Ranger sword
    [​IMG]

3. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I like Boromir's sword. Your's must have been expensive though. Very nice.

4. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    david, you just said that atrim's semi-custom leaf sword is quite reasonably priced compared to a full custom sword like Gwailas
    My question is : can you give me a indication about how much a full out of hand custom sword comparable to gwailas costs?

p.s. I heard that the leaf shape of a blade makes the blade more fragile and easily to break than a straight bladed sword. I dunno if I should believe it but I guess some of you wil know the answer.

5. Tenaka

Tenaka New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    David is right tho, any change in design makes the blade completly different. You cant very well copy write a sword, but you can copy write the name. No one can say "thats my design for a sword and no one can use it" Personally, the only thing the redeemer and Borimir's sword have in common is the look of the guard, even then, the guard's are not the same.

6. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Patents are another thing entirely. Although with swords, that has more to do with the manufacturing and/or forging process than with the design.

As far as design thieves go, I'm not sure how the law works to protect the artists, if it does at all. I know UC is constantly annoyed by cheap, mass-produced swords made to look pretty much exactly like Kit's quality work. Most of the time, the retailers selling them are careful not to use the same names as the UC brand swords, but they are still making money off of design work that they didn't do.

7. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just thought I'd be clear though. I'm not saying the swords mentioned at the beginning of this thread were stolen designs. I think they're all different enough to stand on their own. I'm just saying that its hard to say exactly when a design has been stolen and when it has just been used as inspiration. It's definitely more obvious with complicated, fantasy-type sword designs, as opposed to historical and/or functional blades.

8. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MOST good custom swords, you are talking about spending at or around $1000. The more elaborate stuff, like carved pommel, spacers and stuff like seen on Gwailas obviously jumps the price up. One thing to note about higher end swords. MOST custom sword makers do not include a scabbard, thats an additional fee, and you are looking at anywhere between $200 and $300 for a scabbard, if not more depending on how elaborate.
    I would say $1000 is a starting point for most custom stuff. Sure there is cheaper stuff, but you get what you pay for. That is really just a starting range, It goes up almost indefinantly. Vince Evans, one of the finest historical replica sword makers out there today, his stuff is usually in the $3000 bracket, but it is SOO authentic to the original that its actually better lol.
    Id suggest looking around. Check out sword forum and you will see a plethora of custom sword makers.
    As for Gus's swords, his stock swords are all under $500 just about, more are in the $400 range.
    Any upgrades to those swords are done usually thru Christian Fletcher, although their are others. For doing an all out upgrade, like i did with the Leaf blade, which includes getting a scabbard, you are usually looking to spend as much if not more than you spent on the original stock sword.

Sword collecting is NOT a cheap hobby guys.
    Heck even these LOTR wallhangers are FREAKIN high dollar!! Theres no way i could spend $300 for a broken narsil, but thats just me..........
    in favor of the UC swords, i must say the aragorn knife is really nice...

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    http://www.thefantasyforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=160

I think there's more than just the crossguard that's similar. I didn't even highlight the blade as well.

But anyway. I love Boromir's sword and when UC release it I'll definitely buy it :)

10. David S

David S New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The pommel is alot smaller and has different carvings on it, the grip is spiral wrapped whereas boromirs is a series of bands all parallell.
    The guard is a flat guard with twists, no pommel shaped finials.
    The ecussion (block part of guard) is ALOT smaller on boromirs sword, and the Redeemer actually has what is called a rainguard on the guard instead of an ecussion, the rainguard is that large half circle part of the guard that protects rain from getting in the scabbard.
    the blade is COMPLETELy different. it is the same typology of sword, but its not hollow ground like borormirs nor does the fuller taper and the blade overrall is not as tapered. .
    Geez. im tired ,, there are so many differences its ridiculous, just because a sword has similarities doenst mean its a copy, sure its inpsired but the buck stops there.

11. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info about custom and Atrim swords Dave.