My costume pics

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by doleniel, Feb 12, 2005.

1. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    interested in making a star wars costume?:D

3. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    it depends on how complicated it is, really, because I have two other projects I'm working on atm, and I am busy with other things. It would be difficult to get fittings, you being in Belgium and all, as well. But, I'm open to commissions, and I'm sure there would be a way to work it out, especially if you don't need anything particularly soon.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    What is soon?

5. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
  6. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Within the next few months

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Interesting mix of stuff there. Did you make the jewellery yourself as well? If so, how?

What's the blue sleeveless outfit? It looks kinda Greek, but you're wearing a torq? (spelling?)

8. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Most of the jewwllery I made, yes. The belt and the armband I'm wearing with the blue one were purchased, but I made the torc, brooch, etc. The four bangles were purchased bracelets that I added bead dangles to using headpins. There were originally 18 of them. The torc, I made by twisting together six pieces of brass wire and three pieces of copper wire (I can't remember the guages at the moment) I had made a pattern out of a single piece of the brass wire and, after twisting the nine wires together, bent it to that shape. I had my dad solder some copper wire around the ends to keep them in place and dull the ends of the wires. The triskele pins were a couple of cabochon setting I found at a local craft store. I coiled the wire to my satisfaction and then fixed them in by setting them in a layer of white glue. The brooch was simply a piece of coiled wire. I cut the end at an angle to make it sharp. The ring was just a small brass ring I found at the same craft store as the cabochon settings.

The blue outfit is, from what I came up with after a couple of hours of research, what a woman of one of the celtic tribes would have worn, probably during the summer. It was basicly like a chiton, and would have been worn with a long sleeved tunic in colder weather. I chose the shade of blue because it was woad-ish (I came up with the costume after seeing King Arthur. It was originally concieved for Senior Toga Day at my school)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    If I ever make a movie Dol you're gonna be my costume designer!

10. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    At least I know I'll have one job after I get out of college. . .

11. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Yeah definatly!

12. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    And if you make an horror movie, you'll probably need blood... LOTS of blood... I'm as good to make blood as I am to spray and use it realisticaly! so maybe, I'll have a job to ;)

13. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    LOL Sure.

14. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Those are amazing dol! I especially love the medieval dress...the cut of it is gorgeous! :) You have such talent...how long did it take to make each piece?

15. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Its kind of hard to say, since most of them were made during school, so I was doing other things at the same time. The celtic one, including the jewelry, took less than a day. It was really just a tube of fabric that I hemmed. The jewelry took a few hours, with the torc taking the longest at about an hour and ahalf. The skirt with the buildings on it was my design, but due to marching band being at the same time, my mother made it. Its beaded, and she was getting a degree at the same time, so it took her about a week. There is a purse that goes with it (will upload later) that took about a month. The medieval one probably took me about a month, total. The single part that took the longest was the hem, of which I unfortunately do not have a picture. It did not come out. The hem is machine embroidered (If you look in my artwork album, the black and white drawing on the second page is me in the dress, In the bottom left, I have drawn the hem stitching). Anyone who has used straight-line machine embroidery can tell you that it must be done very slowly, or else it will screw up. Since the hem is several yards in circumference, it took about six hours. The bronze one took about the same amount of time, although in this case the sleeves took the longest, due to the nature of sheer fabric.

16. Eowyn

Eowyn Shieldmaiden

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    oh my gosh! They are so absolutly goregous!!!!
    I love the two gowns.
    are you the one modeling them?

17. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  18. Eowyn

Eowyn Shieldmaiden

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think that I especially love the red one.
    Dol you diffinately have talent!
    And you seemt o love it, all the better!

19. doleniel

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I finally got my dressform and I played around with the digital camera and got pics of most of my stuff I didn't have online. I've updated my album, so there are more goodies for you to look at!

The first gown you will see (there are more pics of it further down the page) Was neither designed or made by me, but I thought I would put it up because it is an unmodified version of the pattern I designed the silver medieval gown from. Note how there are no laces on the sleeves or the back, there are buttons, the dress is looser, and the skirt is far longer in the back. The next gown in line was made in eighth grade for a project when we did Romeo and Juliet. The undergown is apholstery damask and the overgown is velveteen. Needless to say, the gown is very heavy. Unfortunately, the white is somewhat grubby at the hem because I wore it to a renaissance festival several years ago. The third outfit is my most recent (completed) project which I made in Sewing II last semester (yeah, the class taught me nothing other than don't use boning that already has a casing on it if you can at all avoid it, but I figured colleges would want me to have formal instruction). This is the second of my two corsets. The boning took quite a long time, because I wanted it straight along the lining seams, and that is practically impossible to do with a machine. Unfortunately, there were 11 bones to attach, and I was using rather small stitches. It took no less than six hours per bone on the shortest bones. Please, take my advice and simply sew boning channels if you ever use boning.This was also my first use of a steel corset busk, which I had to figure out how to put in on my own, because my teacher had never even heard of one. Next is the flamenco outfit I made in about a week for Spanish last year. The ruffles were annoying, because there are about forty yards worth that needed hemming. I basically set the machine on zizgag (eliminating the need to fold the edge under twice) and floored it. The shirt was the first thing I made entirely without a paper pattern. The shawl, surprisingly enough, came with I pair of jeans I bought at Penny's a couple of years ago. Finally, the reason for the whole red corset boning fiasco: the green corset. This was only my second full garment, and looking back on it, it is not particularly well made. Originally, the poofy shirt was not even a part of the equation; rather the corset had 3/4 length sleeves that matched the skirt and did not open up the front. At the time I made it, I was about two cupsizes smaller and very self concious about it, so I tried to get the fit better. Of course, knowing nothing about fitting, it resulted in the noticable slant of the front and back openings. When I was sewing the boning to the lining (it was sewn along the seams and the seam is supposed to go down the middle of the boning), it was difficult to keep the fabric and the casing together, so the seam zig-zagged back and forth (maybe will post pic later) and looked bad (hence about 100 hours of hand sewing-may also post pic). I also bodged a sort of busk out of some nylon boning I had lying around, because with the corset pulled tight, it tended to gap between hooks and eyes. To make the sort-of-busk, I just sewed a bunch of the hooks and eyes to the two pieces of boning and then sewed the boning into the inside of the fron opening. I usually have it pulled far tighter in the back, but I squish far more than the dummy does, so I had to adjust it to even get it on.

Also added is the aforementiond beaded purse.

Some other time, I will upload my sketchbook and get pics of the liningd of the two corsets for comparison.

Enjoy!

20. The Empress

The Empress Solitude and Strength...

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Wow!!! This is the first time I have ever seen this collection! You are incredible! I am going to bring my Grandma over to see these as soon as she can! She will be very impressed with your abilities! She has been a seamstress for over 50 years...she has done all of our formal gowns in the family and countless other pieces including Halloween Costumes! Now that my sister and I are older and a little more accomplished, we try to do as much ourselves as possible. My Grandma will have the highest compliments for someone so young to be so accomplished! Bravo to you!