Museum Line Sting - a quick rundown

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Justice, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Didn't purchase one yet, and for the price they were asking I definitely would not.

Got a chance to closely examine the Museum Line Sting sword. The Stainless steel version being the only competitor (except for the poor quality Paki replicas) I feel overall the sword is decent. Here is my perception.

Says full tang, says tempered steel, but how much of this is hype? Many of the UC stainless swords are quoted as being "tempered steel". I haven't seen a rockwell hardness test, or a flex test, was it an oil quenched blade? These kinds of questions need to be answered. High quality Toledo steel means squat, I've seen Toledo swords not good enough to be a paper weight. What is it, 1075? 1090? 5160? L6? There are many grades of steel, some better than other for different swords. And after glancing over it, I could see no signs of how the sword is assembled. The pommel (or lack thereof) is not threaded, and I saw no evidence of a peened tang. For the love of God I hope they didn't just epoxy it and say it's battle ready.

If this sword was hand forged I see no signs of it. And in a bad way. The blade was still covered in grinding scars. You know those little lines going across the flat of the blade on the UC swords? Those are lines left from the machining process. It would be scary to think that the sword was machined but then marketed as hand forged.

However the runes were very nice. As I commented nearly two years ago the runes on Sting stick out, not go in, and they replicated this. However, the "no two swords are alike" hype is just that. Sure all of them may be aged differently, but then again no two swords are alike when you pit the surface of the steel. The handle is a nice hard wood and there is a silvery inlay in the handle, once again confirming what I have previously mentioned about the sword. It is not like the inlay on the Noble Collection sword however.

Overall not a bad sword, but not worth what they are asking at anywhere near retail. Much nicer than the stainless one, but the display is too gaudy. A nice burgundy felt or other cloth behind the sword would have made it attractive, the printout gives it an overdone appearence. I'm skipping this one, I am interested to see what the full size sword will be like if they make them. Getting their weights and balance down will be the trick if they want to do it right. But if they end up being the boat anchor weighted swords of their stainless line I find I will just have to pass entirely on them.

2. Grabsteinkraut

Grabsteinkraut Good friend of John R.R.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Justice for this quick but interesting review.

It has been a long time since i have been waiting for someone to give his opinion about the Museum line after testing one blade.

3. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    thanks Justice.
    It basically confirmed what I had thought.

4. Grabsteinkraut

Grabsteinkraut Good friend of John R.R.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hope the great swords are a little better. But definitelly, you have to go custom smithing, if you want a fully functional LOTR Blade

5. Faerfaeniel

Faerfaeniel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice review!

Would you mind if I added a little? I've had one for about a month, and for the price I got it at it was okay, but not exactly a screaming deal.

First, the inlay on the handle appears to be just plain sticky tape. That was something of a disappointment. The pommel I think is epoxied on, but I wasn't that concered about that particular part since Mr. Lyon has said that the originals were done the same way. Just don't get it too hot I guess. :)

The blade is nicely hollow-ground, though yes not perfectly. As I've lived with it a while I've noticed small imperfections in the grinding process -- right near the tip on one side the spine wanders just a hair on mine. Honestly, you have to be looking pretty hard to see it though.

It flexes, but only barely. It's quite stiff. I presume this is due to it being so short with a pronounced spine. I'd expect the longer blades to demonstrate considerably more flex.

It's not particularly sharp, with a fairly obtuse secondary blade bevel. Yes, there are horizontal grind marks, albeit light ones. I do wish they'd taken the edge down a little more and polished the thing better before adding the runes. The runes themselves are quite nice, and very legible (presuming once reads Beleriand-mode Sindarin :) ) Anyhow, I don't believe these marks indicate that the blade was made soley through stock removal, as some degree of grinding and shaping is necessary even with forged blades.

All in all, I'd put it at about the quality level of a Windlass piece (at least those I've had the chance to play with) Not great, but solid enough I wouldn't fear it breaking in my hand provided I didn't truly abuse it.

The case (except for the silly cardboard map back) is quite nice.

Hope that helps. :)