Multi-Genre Music Lovers

Discussion in 'General Music' started by S.J. Faerlind, Apr 2, 2013.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I like to listen to a bunch of different genres of music ... almost everything from classical right up to rock, metal, "alternative", pop and new age/electronica. What I find is that I like different genres for different purposes or listen to them depending on my mood.
    So how about you? Do you listen to only one or two genres of music or a wide range of them? What genres/bands do you listen to? What determines when you want to listen to something?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I don't have any type of genre I like above others. I listen to all and every genre of music. I've never really had a fave I'll listen to everything from rock, metal, electro, rap, classical, country etc.

3. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    As a general rule I don't like country (with rare exceptions). The reason I like pop is because there's a strong percussion element and the timing of the music is usually energizing because it's faster. The problem I find with a lot of pop is that many of the songs are "fluffy" - the lyrics are repetitive and they're not very profoundly interesting or meaningful. Sometimes I find the newer country to be a lot like pop but without the heavier percussion so what's the point? Country can have some great and meaningful lyrics, though I admit I'd rather have the drama come both through the music and from the words. I like Evanescence for that: their songs have lots of musical expression and the lyrics to some of their songs are pretty profound.

4. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Like you guys, I like a pretty broad range of music. Dead Can Dance is great when I want to listen to something percussive, yet atmospheric and profoundly moving. My Silent Wake are great for when I want my doom metal fix (and some more music that's on the moving side). And often I'll stick on Wovenhand for some alternative folk, Bob Dylan and Cash for something with folk leanings, Billy Bragg for punkish and a little bit political, and Wilco when I want something that's kinda laid back and introspective. There's more, but I'd end up listing everything in my CD collection.

Music is so awesome in that there's always something for every mood. I love it!

5. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    Gotta listen to as many as possible and get as many perspectives of the world as you can.

6. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    From melodic death metal to bluegrass and reggae, I listen to just about everything.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  7. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I love all genres of music, maybe only certain songs in those genres, or all songs in those genres except certain one, but in general I love music.

8. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Until about 3 years ago I listened to basically EVERYTHING.. But now.. I can't. Other music outside of the metal & rock genre doesnt appeal to me anymore. I really hit home with metal though.. its awesome.

9. The Hero of Canton

The Hero of Canton Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I really like punk rock and will listen to my favorite Flogging Molly in any mood or situation but then I like to listen to folk metal and music like Dead Mau5 and Prodigy when in the gym or doing work. I like country too but mostly just the beer drinking country songs. The only real music I don't like is this new age club rap/ hip hop stuff. The repetitiveness about nothing (basically what S.J. Faerlind said) drives me up a wall.

10. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    A few years ago I could only listen to rock music, then I discovered how awesome all genres are. We flipped.

11. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Try and tell me you don't like Nujabes. Everybody like Nujabes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwRGPxCG_Y

12. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I like it all. the way I see it, if it sounds good to me then why would I hate it just because the genre. there are some exceptions though. I don't think I will ever like anything emo. but other then that I listen to it all from classical to rap to most metal to some country and so on. the only pop I really like is jpop though.

13. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    What's jpop? I've never heard of that before. :)

14. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    arent all people multi genre lovers?

15. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    japanese pop. a lot of anime use it as opening or closing songs.

and anon I do think most people are. there are some people who are very shallowminded though.

16. azsandman

azsandman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    music is to the soul, what air is to the body. Hold the same breath loo long, you'll pass out from how good air turns to bad air. When I write, I use music like a soundtrack to a movie.

17. Indigo Orchid

Indigo Orchid Caveo Discipulo

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I love Musicals of all styles, origins and decades; Classic, Folk, Soft and Hard Rock; Classical Crossover and real Classical music; Celtic, Folk and World music; Pop and Adult Contemporary, aswell as American Songbook; Swing, some Jazz and definitely Gospel. Some Symphonic Metal.

Other genres, too, of course, but not with that passion. I like some country, but not all.

Everything that is done with both a heart and some know-how.

What I can't stand is most (not all) German music, completely over-produced music, really bad music, music that is only screaming, techno and rap.

Oh and, by the way, not all people are multi-genre lovers! Some people love one genre, or a few. Other listen to anything. I'm in-between, I don't like everything but love several genres with a passion like people who have that one genre they love.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Moandor

Moandor Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    From Death Metal to Lady Gaga

19. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    I love everything except girly conformative pop and try hard rap/rnb (By the latter I mean every single African American who thinks because they can rhyme, their songs are good). Not being racist in the slightest, just seems there are too many people trying to get into the music industry with repeated lyrics in that genre that have been done to death.. Plus not a fan of the 'N' word being used in every damn rhyme (or at all for that matter).
    Most of them have a good rhythm and good beat but..

There is a radio staion in Australia named Triple J, now they play all kinds of music all over the world and actually try their best to promote new 'talents'. That is Awesome! it is also censorship free all day long, so swear words and bad language is fine. However... When I hear 'N'.... 'N'... all day long it makes me want to change the station. Why do darker skinned people Have to pump that word out?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  20. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I usually listen to Power Metal, Heavy Metal, Epic Metal... you get the idea...

There is good music out of those, but my speakers rarely play any other thing.