Mububban's Faramir Armour

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Mububban, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Much thanks go to Christophe of Grey for his tips on embossing. Plus my friend Derek who lent me his tools, and to Nicole Kipar (whoever and wherever you are!) for making the tree pattern available online.

Firstly, this is what I'm trying to achieve:

Attached Files:

2. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Below is the start of my Faramir armour. ~5mm veg tanned leather, undyed yet but it'll be the dark brown of Faramir's armour. I'll be shopping for silver leather paint/dye for the tree today.

I used a scroll saw to (painstakingly!) cut out the tree pattern in MDF (like super compressed cardboard). We tried plywood but it flaked itself to death. We tried perspex, but the blade melted the perspex as it cut, leaving flaky crusty edges. The MDF was strong enough to hold together with the blade vibrations, especially when cutting the twisty limb tips. But it was also strong enough to withstand me hammering it into the wet leather.
    A few branches did break off, hence the few darker or lighter patches. But overall, I'm rapt with the result.

The stars were also cut from MDF, which was a slow careful progress seeing as how close my fingers were to the blade. But no blood, and I reckon they don't look too bad either :)

I cut 5 stars thinking the thin star tips might break like the tree branches did, but only one bit of one star came off.

Attached Files:

3. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I'm only a skinny bugger so the tree chestplate won't be very wide, hence my making the stars a tiny bit closer in than on Faramir's one. I'll be wearing it over a padded gambeson and/or or chainmail so that'll bulk me out a bit, but skinny is still skinny :)

I use paper and then cardboard (manilla folders work a treat) so make up patterns. Cheap, quick, and once you've got it fitting right, you can cut your leather with confidence.

I'm waiting on my grilfriend to sew me a canvass dummy undershirt, which will eventually be made out of a suedey type leather. More photos to come as things progress. But so far, I'm rapt with how the tree has come out.

4. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks fantastic, Mububban! Great job there! Brilliant idea using a tree "stamp" to imprint it; if I had tried this, I would have stupidly tried to press down the entire area using one of those little leather tools, and it would have ended up all lumpy and ugly... :eek:

5. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    That was the original idea and why it took so long to come u with the best idea. I did lots of test embossing and attempts at stippling/depressing the inside of the tree, but it was lumpy and ugly, so I had to find a better way. Luckily my friend Derek is very crafty and has lots of cool power tools :)

6. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    dude that's pretty impressive...can't wait to see pics of you in the full outfit...when you are done...

7. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    for cutting the MDF, wouldn't it been easier if you'd used a dremel?

8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Don't know, I've got one but didn't try, but the dremel made a helluva mess with the perspex. The scroll saw cuts from the top to the bottom of the item you're cutting, whereas the dremel is limited to the size of the bit. Feel free to try and tell us all how it goes, I don't plan on going through that painful process again any time soon :)

9. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Man, that is awesome! that is as good(or better) as the movie prop.

10. defyitall

defyitall Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    maybe a roto-zip or similar spiral cutter? i've heard they don't tear or flake the material much at all and are fairly easy to guide through complex shapes.

11. standingbears

standingbears New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think your project looks GREAT!
    Is using the MDF more for protection or to make the embossing stand out?
    I use layers of thinner Veg tan leather, Leather "dust" or shavings etc.

12. CanadianRCist

CanadianRCist Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that armor looks kick ass!! i like it better than the movie props

13. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Looks great.

14. CanadianRCist

CanadianRCist Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep it does

15. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Okay, after a long time of being lazy, I've made a bit more progress.

The leather wouldn't take the light brown dye evenly, so I had to resort to a dark brown/black dye to cover the stripes from the differential dyeing. When the dye dried, I painted it with some silver leather paint which is flexible and won't flake off when the leather flexes. It looks white in the photo but has a nice silver sheen to it.
    I used a 4mm paintbrush, and had to use a bamboo skewer to push the paint into the corners of the stars and tree branch tips.

Once that dried, I sealed it all with satin seal. So the chest piece is done. Now I just have to wait for my girlfriend to help me with the undershirt. Stitching it onto the front of the undershirt will be interesting because it's got to be done on the slope of my shoulders and chest. Fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

16. alwyn

alwyn New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unreal

17. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi New Member

With my nose pressed against the window at the DMV
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thats really nice armor right there..

18. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Okay, pictures forthcoming, but it's finally finished!!!!!

Talk about dramas. The suede I bought for the udnershirt turned out to be ever so slightly too thin to do a front and back piece as one piece each. So I had to cut the front and back pieces into halves vertically, then "jigsaw puzzle" it onto the suede, just sneaking it in. Then I glued 4 inch wide reinforcing strips of thicker suede underneath, as well as stitching the pieces together. I'm a big fan of over-engineering.
    As a result, the underside is ugly as sin, but that's okay as no one will see it :)

So when the shirt was made, I popped it on, resized the neck and arm holes somewhat, then marked the holes to attach the chest plate.
    I'd oringnally punched stitch holes all the way around the edge, but stitching it onto a curved surface would have been a nightmare, so I ended up using dark brown 10mm pop rivets every 2 inches or so.

I originally thought of using 3 buckles and straps on each side to do it up, but was worried about the suede tearing, and the added bulk on the straps, seeing as I'll hopefully be wearing this with my back quiver, and a kidney belt, and with a quiver of arrows slung off my hip as well. So I ended up using looped leather lacing, which is period, and fairly flat too.
    For strength and looks (and to use up some scraps), I added some dyed and stamped pieces of veg tanned leather to run the lacing through.

You'll have to excuse the blue fabric marker pen :) I'll remove it with a wet cloth later but am still refining the arm holes, and will probably do so further after wearing it in combat.

Seeing as it's for combat archery and not just costuming, I also stitched on some buckles to the shoulders, so if I'm playing as infantry, I can attach the lamed leather pauldrons I also made. And if I'm being an archer, I can take them off to leave my arms unencumbered.

19. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Here 'tis. Pardon the cruddy photos, they were taken in a rush last night. And forgive my boobs and girlish hips, I'm using my girlfriend's sewing dummy to show it off :)

You can see the looped lacing on the sides as well. Makes for a snug fit, and is quite period too.

Attached Files:

20. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    And here are the pauldrons. The flat angle and not having an arm to wrap around and make them curvier doesn't make them look that flash, but they've come out quite well, again, for a first time effort.

There's a sinle thin strap on the second bottom lame, that keeps it securely wrapped around my upper arms as they're moving around. And the single attachment point on the shoulder makes for a wide range of movement too, so hopefully I can still reach my back quiver!

I'll hopefully get some better photos in 2 weeks at one of our archery days.

Attached Files: