Mount Doom?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curunir's bane, Feb 22, 2004.

1. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ok I have watched ROTK several times and I have noticed something. Whenever there are shots of Barad-dur you see that mount doom seams so close, yet in TTT when you see barad-dur you can clearly see that mount doom is much further away. Anyone else notice this?

2. Aragorn II Elessar

Aragorn II Elessar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its just the angles. in TTT, looking from the northwest, mt doom will be back and to the right. but in ROTK, your angle puts them almost side-by-side.

3. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    which is funny becuase they're actually a great distance away... and a great distance away from the gate.. there's no way in hell you could see Barad-dur from the gate.. well.. unless you're an elf. then maybe. :p

4. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ever wonder why there is fire and lava pouring out of the top of mount doom, but on the inside all the lava is down below. Must be a two story volcano :)

5. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes!!! i actually said that out loud... i was like..
    "what the hell. how is there lava coming out of the top, and they are standing there.. about 500ft above the lava level.. Only explanation i could come up with is that the volcano was split into caverns, like a honeycomb and they happen to be in.. an.. area.. with.. non... evelvated. lava....... yea.. silly movie mistakes. :p
    Fire whisps, burning wind, and smoke comeing from the top yes... likely a small chute of lava escaped through the top.. not likely.. but possible.. full scale eruption plus chaimber below.. ERRR.. nope. lol.
    Unless that area was safeguarded by a spell of sauron's then.. no.. which would make sense, and would explain the eruption after the ring was destroyed.. the spell was broken, and the lava set free?

meh.

6. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    yeah i guess there would have to be caverns, but i guess pj had everythin so close together for the dramatic partof the film, i dont know, EBM has a good point.

7. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sauron had hihs own entrance about 2/3 of the way to the top of MT. Orodruin. Frodo and sam enterd there. Notice that MT. Orodruin is always flowing lava. ever think that there are cliffs that are jutting out into the big hole? lava coul flow of that if it doesnt make it to the top. And anyway that carbon dioxide would have killed them both bofre the top.

-dt

8. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually Alan Lee says that Baradur is insanely high like 2 miles up or something on TTT:EE. So it's quite feasable that it would be visible from the gate over such barren terrain.

9. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well thats the way tolkien wrote it, with lava spewing out, but there being a door part way up and lava below, so its not a movie mistake....

10. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ermm.... i still doubt it. If you look at referance pictures, such as this one http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/maps/orodruin.gif
    Barad-dur is about 60 miles away from the black gate.. not only that but orodruin and might be in the view a bit..
    plus all the ash, dust, and fumes of the land of mordor would have made it impossible.. and even on a barren terrain.. 60 miles is a long, long way. Plus you have to take into consideration it was concealed by fog and mist at all times, and the only characters in the lord of the rings (books) to ever see Barad-dur were frodo and sam..

11. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I highly doubt that, all the elves and men that made up the front ranks of the last allinace saw baradur.

12. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    movie drama! what do you want! In ROTK when Sauron say ARAGORN isnt the eye mile and miles away? In the book frodo could see the eye before they went into moria. But it looked like a red star.

-dt

13. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  14. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    i dont remember the part about the red star. Could you direct me to it.

15. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think it was when they were on top of mount doom just before they went in. I am not sure, either.

16. curunir's bane

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
  17. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, in the progression of the movies, it seems to me that Barad-Dur gets closer and closer to Mt. Doom. In FotR, the distance does seem to be about 60 miles. Then, in TTT, it seems like only 30 miles away from eachother. Then when Frodo and Sam get to Mordor, its like 5 miles away. Wierd.

18. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's all about the drama in the movies. I think they wanted a way to show Aragorn, Gnadalf, and the others finding out Frodo completing his mission. That happened when everyone saw Barad-dur fall and explode. They were extremely happy that Frodo succeeded :banana: , but then when they saw Mt. Doom explode with lava it changed the mood. They realized that Frodo probably lost his life. Then they were sad. :(