Most Powerful

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mystarian, Feb 6, 2007.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Illuvatar is from the Silmarillion, as are Ungoliant, Melkor and most of the elven heroes.

2. Kai

Kai Dark Jedi Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As Sauron had not taken physical form in LOTR, I believe it was Glorfindel. I am a firm believer that Glorfindel was the High Elf lord of old, returned to Middle Earth. Now we don't see any evidence of his great power in LOTR which is a great shame, but as the Silmarillion refers to the High lords of the Elves were powerful enough to take on Balrogs on common occassions, and Glorfindel scared the Witchking from battle there is evidence of power. Also Galadriel is to have great power, but there is no evidence of it being a power used in battle. Elrond though powerful was known for his lore and knowledge. Gandalf was powerful, but he and the Balrog slew eachother after an epic battle. Gandalf was brought back stronger, but not powerful enough to change the heart of the witchking. Tom Bombadil I don't believe stacks up to any of them in that same way. Tom had power over himself and his area. I think of it like this. Hold a banana in front of a dog and it doesn't affect the dog, hold it in front of a gorilla and the gorilla will want it. Doesn't mean that because the banana has no affect on the dog, that the dog can kill the gorilla. Same with the ring, just cause it doesn't affect Bombadil, doesn't mean he has some greater power then others.

So like I said if Sauron was in physical form he is my choice, but then Glorfindel. If your some of the few that believe the Glorfindel of LOTR is different than the one of the Silmarillion, then my choice is still stupid.

3. jhsierra

jhsierra New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tom Bombadil for sure. Even Gandalf was afraid of the ring. Tom Bombadil however, was not. He took the ring on, and laughed as nothing happend.

4. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Sauron is. Both Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron(and the other wizards) were all maiar, but Sauron was the most powerful.

5. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    has to be Sauron....Gandalf & four other wizards inc..Saruman and Radagast were sent to the shores of middle earth too combat Sauron..Only Gandalf stayed true...

6. darkfox

darkfox New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I was going to say the One Ring, but that Tom Bombadil point was great. so i'm going with Tom.

7. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the ring had no effect on Tom..thats not who he was,the troubles of mortal were'nt his concern..For people that played an active part in the war of the ring,i would have to say Sauron.

8. Ravenhart

Ravenhart New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Sauron/The One Ring, considering they are technically one. Even if he can't actually do anything physically in LOTR he has immense power over other people's minds. And from the Last Alliance he was pretty damn destructive too.

Can't see how people can say Gandalf though, considering The Witch King is a slave to Sauron, yet the books portray him as more powerful than Gandalf. (Think it was something like... "White is mighty but black is stronger still." Believe it was Gandalf commenting on himself matched against the Witch King)

9. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Plus, Tom Bombadil's power is linked to his land, his forest. Outside of it, he's not that powerful.

10. Nathaniel

Nathaniel I've fallen...

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It is said by Gandalf that Sauron was the greatest. And if you think of it that would be wuite true.
    Either Saruman or Gandalf were too weak to oppose Suron directly.
    Shelob was defeated by a Hobbit...
    Galandriel is an elf. So is Elrod. The Nazghuls were the ringwraiths, even Aragorn was beyond them.
    The Balrog was a Maia, however, Morgoth used weak Maiar to create the Balrogs (Feanor beat 10 of them before he died).
    Radagast was too weak to be true :p
    The Dead Men where vampires, not too dangerous.
    Tom Bombadil was the Lord, but a Lord of his own land. Beyond its borders he was as ordinary as anyone.
    I believe Sauron was the most powerful since without his ring was such a great threat... imagine him with his ring...

11. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Nathaniel, I think you've forgotten Morgoth? ILUVATAR even?

12. Snoken

Snoken Probably out fishing

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say Tom Bombadill.

13. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Ged in the legend of earth-sea...

14. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    bombadil, inside his territory, and sauron with the ring.

Search tags for this page

tom bombadil most powerful