Most Powerful

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mystarian, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Mystarian

Mystarian Magistrate of the Earth

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Who do you think is the most powerful person (or thing) in the whole of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit (not the Simillarion, too many great entities). Some suggestions are the Balrog, Shelob, Tom Bombadil, Galadriel, Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron, or Smaug.

2. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    The ring? After all, it got the whole book named after it :D. But I guess Sauron was the most powerful - he was beaten by stealth rather than force after all, since no-one else had his sheer power, they just thought outside the box a little more :).

3. Lord Melkor

Lord Melkor New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I would say Gandalf, Dnt for get he was sent to middle-earth only to help them defeat Sauron and not do it for them. He also had one of the Elvin rings of power.

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Tom Bombadil, followed by Sauron, Smaug, Galadriel, the Nazgul (chief among which their King), Saruman, Gandalf and Elrond. Beor, Aragorn and Cirdan get honorable mentions :p

Tom Bombadil was easily able to withstand the pull of the Ring, setting him above Sauron. However, he was no party in the War. Sauron as a runner-up makes sense. Then, Smaug, the Dragon. I don't think anyone would have known how to tackle him, untill he was slain by chance. Galadriel, sister of Feanor, is ancient and powerfull. Do not ever underestimate her. The Nazgul are just... well, very tricky adversaries. Saruman fears them, that is for sure. He is also, traditionally more powerfull then Gandalf, to which Gandalf, on more occasions admits. Elrond is wise and wields a ring, but I don't hold him superior to the Istari.

In the end, Gandalf proofs the smartest, both by entwining fates to slay Smaug and destroying the Ring. It was his design, although he later admits that he is not sure whether it was his design at all.

On a sidenote, I leave the Balrog out, as it is very hard to place them. It remains to be seen whether Saruman, the Nazgul or Galadriel would have had a chance against them. This goes for most of the face-offs. Although very brave, the people who slayed Smaug, the Witch King and destroyed the Ring (and thus Sauron) are not very powerfull in themselves, but were very brave and lucky in doing so.

5. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ Agree with Tom, Sauron, Saruman, Gandalf, the Balrog (balrogs were corrupted Maiar), then Galadriel, Elrond and the Nazgul, Smaug ... we can't forget Radagast or the Dead Men of Dunharrow (a ghost army would be pretty difficult to defeat!) either ...

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  6. Lord Melkor

Lord Melkor New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes i would put Tom as most powerful, but Gandalf has to come second after he becomes Gandalf the white.

He broke Saruman and cast him out of the order... Sauron is not at his full power only when he has the ring that is when Sauron becomes more powerful then Gandalf the white but that never happens.

7. sepi_1982

sepi_1982 the French Fantasy Guy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    it is frodo the most powerful.
    Come on, this guy alone with Sam went to mordor to destroy the ring, 2 gus in the middle of thousands orcs and goblins. I would not have done it for my part.

8. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ nah, any of others mentioned could have kicked his butt, even Gollum & Sam were stronger :)

9. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    i'm sorry but, WHAT? frodo is uber weak!

10. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Galadriel.

Knowledge and wisdom are the true powers.

11. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Aragorn had a very high potential since he could have combined the powers of being the leader of all men in Middle Earth, the power of the dead army, the connection he had to both elvish civilizations and the power of the ring itself. Since he never combined those powers, we cant be sure.

Sauron himself had the largest army in Middle Earth under his control. That cant be overlooked.

Bombodil couldnt protect the ring according to Gandalf.

Saruman was able to control Gandalf where the Balrog could not.

Sauron controlled Saruman and drove Denethor insane.

I think the two stongest would be either Aragorn or Sauron depending on who would be able to posess the ring, and only Aragorn had a chance to take posession of it.

My ranking would be:

Sauron
    Aragorn
    Bombodil
    Galadriel
    Saruman
    Gandalf
    The Balrog
    Smaug

There about 20 beings from the first and second age that are stronger than most of these though.

12. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Kartaron: the argument put forward against having Tom guard the ring wasn't that he was not strong enough to protect the ring from sauron but that he would most likley forget that he had the ring at all or what it was for. This is not to say that the ring had power over Tom but more to say that the events in the world around Tom have little or no effect upon him. Remember he was around at the rising of the first dark lord (saurons original boss 0 can't remember or spell name) and during that time he did not participate in the wars even though they were far worse than the war for the one ring.

13. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I'd say Sauron is the mightiest of them all, his only weakness is his ring.. dont judge him for being a "fool" and not protecting it as the most precious thing ever. Conclusion -> a power that has a very small or no weakness is the ultimate one.

14. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Interesting observation to call the Ring Sauron's weakness, Aphelion. I think that's definitely true, although the Ring was the most powerful THING in Middle-earth. Power is as much a weakness as a strength sometimes.

I have a difficult time classifying Gandalf in this one, because had he decided to use his full power to defeat Sauron... well, he didn't so one can't quite be sure of the extent of his abilities (although I suppose they would have been similiar to Saruman's).

Overall though, I probably have to agree with Kartaron's assessment.

15. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    By Saurons original boss, you mean Melkor aka Morgoth?

Correct! ^_^

16. kane

kane New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean "most powerful"? If there will be a championship of combat when one would win and the other one would die, most probably the most powerful is Sauron or Smaug.
    For sure not Gandalf (Saruman overpower him), not Balrog (Gandalf kill him). The elves and human are too weak against thees demigots.

17. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Slave of Duty/Son of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I would say Sauron was the strongest- he could not be beaten by force alone. As for the Istari, they could not be the strongest at the time of the War of the Ring as their powers were greatly reduced when they were sent to Middle-Earth. They were sent y the Valar to assist the free peoples via wisdom, not force. (The Valar had learned their lesson since The Silmarillion).

18. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I thought Gandalf said something to the effect that Sauron could defeat the rest of Middle Earth and Bombodil alone couldnt hold off Sauron. I know he also said that Bombodil couldnt caretake the ring.

19. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    It was not that the ring would overpower Tom, but more that the world outside of Tom's life was of no concern to him. Thus the ring, from the outside, he would eventually forget about, disgarding or losing it in some fashion, simply because it would not longer concern him.
    In the council meeting Gandaulf expresses this thought to counter the idea put forward by another member of having Tom guard the ring based upon his apparant strengths - in this case the example was driving off the Barrow Wights

20. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Some people have Aragorn quite high up their lists, for instance, kartaron.

I can't agree less! Aragorn, though strong in battle, wise in all sorts of ways and worthy in all sorts of matters... he was also mortal. Let's face it, his ancestors were lucky to defeat Sauron and it was not after Elendil (I hold Elendil mightier than Aragorn) was slain with a simple blow, that Isildur got lucky. Isildur, of course, being of less power. But none would stand a chance against Sauron. But what about Galadriel? Let's not forget about her history, shall we? She stood up to Feanor (!) and refused him a single strand of her hair. She fought in and survived the Kinslaying of Elqualonde. She, herself claimed, for a long time, Queenship over Middle Earth, for at least two and a half ages. And Aragorn? Aragorn has a sword... Galadriel has a ring, mind. And so do Elrond and Gandalf. And what would Aragorn have done against a Balrog (Fly, you fools!) or Smaug, mortal both were in the end. Gandalf defeated the Balrog because he had exactly the right ring for the cause. Smaug... that was chance. But let's face it, Smaug might well have been the second-mightiest dragon in the history of Middle Earth, through his age alone. The greatest power Aragorn had in the end, was the ability to inspire people and give them hope (Estel).

Search tags for this page

tom bombadil most powerful