Most Disappointing Change from Book to Movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by LOTR Fan, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    I don't complain how much more screentime Arwen has been given...I see it as a good thing, but yes linking her life to the ring seemed a little strange. Why her alone?

2. Lapis Lazuli

Lapis Lazuli New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just don't like the way the movies seem to be consumed by the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen.

And yes, why.

3. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    mmm consumed is a big word imo...it's just a detail in the story...stronger in the films yes, but it doesn't consume them.

4. Lapis Lazuli

Lapis Lazuli New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It just about consumes the movies. I mean, compared to the books.

5. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I think that the director might have done things differently for the first film if he did it again. It almost seems like there were two Arwens: Xenarwen, and Lady Arwen. From what I've gathered from the behind the scenes, they wanted Arwen to have a bigger role in the films. Understandable. So they put her in as a fighter, having her rescue Frodo and putting her in Helm's Deep (yes they did film her there). Then they reconsidered and decided that they wanted her to have a more spiritual bond with Aragorn which, I think is more faithful to the book. Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine, but I would say it doesn't consume the movies. But I will say that if they had made her part of the fellowship, I might have not gone to see the film.

6. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    why is that anduril...because its not faithful to the book or other reasons?

7. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    well my biggest upset, well the most major one. that is was in a triliogy.

8. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

A. It's not faithful to the spirit of the book. I don't mind changes that changing details very much, but changing the spirit of the book can be detrimental. It would have been a very bad change. Jackson acknowledged that.

B. It would be dumb for the movie. Nine guys going on a perilous journey. Oh, yeah, and there's one girl who's the fiancee of the leader. cough! *stupid idea* cough!

9. anna236

anna236 Modern day Anna

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well... I think that the most disapointing thing about the book and movie is, as someone mentioned earlier, was the ranger friends of Aragorn's comming to meet them after helms deep. That would have been cool to see them. In the EE of ROTK, also, though small I was disappointed in the fact that they gave the "Great Wave" dream to Eowyn, and not to Faramir. I thought that it was more appropriate that Faramir said it. He has a lot more meaning in the movie than she, but I'm glad that they at least put it in the movie. That was cool! The EE of ROTK has a lot of good things about it, that were small parts in the book, but made it more authentic. Like when Gandalf and the Witch King have their showdown in Minas Tirith, and they hear the trumpet of Gondor, and say that the wind is changing, that was AWESOME! That was one of my fav scenes in the book, probably even in the entire series!
    Fell deeds awake!
    Fire and water!
    Spears shall be shaken,
    Shields shall be splintered.
    A sword day, a red day,
    Ere the sun rises!!!!!

Also all that was mentioned before, about Faramir and Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire was all okay to me. I thought that Faramir still did a great job. He still seemed to be very noble, he was just being fooled by Frodo, and in the end did "show his quality", and it WAS "the very highest". He's even better in the ROTK. I didn't like Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire in the book, the only thing I didn't like was seeing the showdown between Frodo and Saruman and the death of Saruman, but atleast some of it was in the EE of ROTK. PJ did an awesome job, though. I have no other complaints.:)

10. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Most Disappointing Change from the Book:
    The character assassination of Faramir.

Most Annoying Change:
    I understand that Tom Bombadil must be cut, but the fact that the blade Merry uses to stab the Witch King comes from the barrow downs is significant in the success of Merry's blow. And all it would have taken in the movie is to have Aragorn say where the swords/knives came from when he tosses them to the hobbits in the first movie. One line, how hard is that?

Change that oddly doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others:
    1. elves at helms deep - they were fighting elsewhere in the book but they were fighting
    2. arwen's increased role - the relationship is discussed several times during the book, but since you don't want one of your main characters constantly monologuing on his elf girlfriend and you can't narrate it you have to show it. Though tying her life to the ring wasn't necessary.

11. Taria

Taria Dark Doll

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would also say that most annoying change from the book is prolongued role of arwen. Also, Elves instead of Ents at Helms deep.
    Then, Faramir in The Two Towers acter really weird. I almost took him for negative character.
    And those "funny moments" (which supposed to be funny) with Legolas jumping onto horse or when he uses his shield as, well let's say, skateboard...not funny! They were stupid.

12. lewy

lewy Lewy the lethal lunatic!

In the darkest valleys of death and despair...
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    the eragon movie (and everything...)

13. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    euhm it's about Lord of the Rings here...

14. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    There were no ents at Helm's Deep. The only ones that showed up were the Huorns, and they were included in the extended version.

THe two moments you listed were not at all meant to be funny. They were intended to show how graceful and agile elves were. Maybe the shield bit was too much, but the part with him jumping on the horse definitely was not (if for no other reason that humans really can do that).

15. andave_ya

andave_ya laudator temporis acti

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Faramir. Faramir, Faramir, Faramir. ARGH! Faramir!
    Do I make my point?

16. Mystarian

Mystarian Magistrate of the Earth

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Really, the book and the movie can't be compared, there is just to much seperating them. Really, movie was itself a accomplishement, but people get blinded by this when comparing it to the book. Nothing can fully map the book, its just to unique. So what Peter Jackson took it and gave it a somewhat different view. I still like the book, but I hold nothing against the movie. But hey, this is a controversial topic, so anyone is entitled to their own opinion.

17. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    definitely the scouring of the shire! i thought that part was really good, and then they totally changed it in the movie... so sad!
    and the relationship between farimir and eowyn... they showed then together in the movie, like, twice.

18. Arky

Arky New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The last chapters of the 3rd book are missing in the movie. The part when Frodo and his friends come back home from their long journey and discover that something terrible has happened in the Shire. I know , it's not so important, and making a film about a book of over 1200 pages it's not easy, and everyone has his own ways of imagine the story, but they could al least make a very short "clip" in the end.
    Anyway, I think the LoTR is a great book, came up from the brilliant mind of Tolkien and magistrally written. I will not stop saying this!

19. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    I think as soon as we saw Sarumon fall from the top of Isenguard - from that point we all knew there would be no scouring of the shire - its a shame because it was a pulling together of the world - it made hobbiton feel more like it was a part of the whole of middle earth - - and made hobbits look better than just farmers

20. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    The most diappointing thing is Elladan & Elrohir's part being cut from the movie. I mean what's the point of being Elrond's son and Arwen's brother if we don't even get to ride the Paths of the Dead :rolleyes: :D

Apart from that ~ Bombadil & Shire