Most Disappointing Change from Book to Movie

Discussion in 'Movies' started by LOTR Fan, Jul 7, 2004.

1. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As that site said, purists should be mad about Frodo and Sam, and stop b****ing about Faramir.

2. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with Kain about the Gandalf/Saruman battle in FOTR. I really didn't like that one. And like kartaron, I missed the day/night thing at Pelennor Fields, and also, this is a minor thing, but I didn't like the fact that the sun was out shining brightly as they went to attack the Black Gate. As I recall, in the book there was an ominous darkness over the entire land. I thought the sun sort of spoiled the effect...

3. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  4. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I miss the Fiefdoms of Gondor marchin in! also they made gondor total wimps1 in the book the gondorians FIGHT in the pellenor fields and the orcs dont even take 1 level of Minas tirith!!

5. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Byz Warrior - I agree, but the issue becomes MOVIE DRAMA

6. telcontar_63

telcontar_63 Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I missed the housing of healing. It shows eowyn, merry, and faramir all on the brink of death one minute and next minute merry going off to a battle and eowyn and faramir are all smiles!

7. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Good thing those scenes are in the extended edition.

8. boromir_the_ranger

boromir_the_ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when pj does not put the socering of the shire in the movie that pissed me off

9. Grabsteinkraut

Grabsteinkraut Good friend of John R.R.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you Boromir the ranger, I was realy disapointed by the disapearing of the Scouring.
    I personaly think there could have been a way to make it without destroying the end.
    For example, calming the climax and turning off the music of victory when the fellowship meets two guys on the road, one with a dirty white dress, and the other one looking like a snake. And then an odd feeling of anxiety would stay in Frodo's head while they are celebrateing their victory in Rivendell. And when they finally come home...

The fact that the hobbits are totaly ignorated when they return, as if never anything hapened, makes me angry.

Also when i read my book again, i realy miss all the parts when they rest and sleep, and especialy when they eat delicious meals at Tom's house for example :D :D.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I think would say that they definately would have destroyed the film is they put in the scouring of the shire scene. It was WAY too anti-climactic. I was always for the cutting of that part out when i read the book. The moment i read it i knew that it woudln't work in the movie. And I thought that the siege of gondor should have had more scenes taking place at night but it really didn't hurt that bad. And the pellenor fields was supposed to take place during sunlight, I don't know why people complained about that. And what was it that was not liked about the wizard duel in FOTR? I thought it was really intense. But that's just me.

11. boromir_the_ranger

boromir_the_ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so curunir it might but it would be awsome if u know what i mean... hobbits fightin ruffins... awsome

12. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you on Glorfindel all the way. I'm glad their wasn't a Tom Bombadil, because I didn't want some g@y guy to mess things up.

13. Kera

Kera New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like Faramir at all... and he's my favourite character ToT
    And also... Liv Taylor, Liv Taylor... always Liv Taylor... Arwen isn't such an important character (ok, she is, but not that important ¬¬)
    Mmm... I didn't like Tom Bombadil at the book... so I didn't miss him at all...
    And I think that's all I can remember...

14. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Since I am really picky and really weird in such things,when it comes to a book and more specifically LOTR which I love,I wanted it to be totally close to the book or at least at the biggest degree possible.So that means I didn't like MANY things in the movies and especially in the second movie which was almost not LOTR.

To be more specific the things that pissed me off are:

1.The Elves who fought in Helm's Deep with the Rohrrim.What the heck?Tolkien didn't put Elves to go there and he must have done that for a reason,you can't just change that for fun!
    And even if they found out that Saruman was marching to Helm's Deep HOW THE HECK did they get in Helm's Deep so fast?It just doesn't make any sense.And it also deletes that nice line that Legolas said in the book about wishing that he had some elves with him to fight.

2.All the ridiculous look they gave to Gimli.They made him say stupid lines all the time and act as a comic relief.Plus they gave him...5 axes?!He only had one axe.

3.The fact that they made Saruman look so much as Sauron's goon and servant while he was supposed to want the One Ring for himself and betrayed both the good guys and the bad guys.

4.The huge part that they gave to Arwen and kicked Glorfindel out of the movie.

5.All the stupid scenes during the battle of Helm's Deep where Aragorn grabbed Gimli,a heavy and strong dwarf and using one hand he threw him on the bridge and then the two of them fought against a few hundreds of Uruk-Hai coming against them and then when they all rode out of the gate and didn't even hit the Uruk-hai with their swords,they just rode between them and pushed them off the off the bridge while the Uruk-hai where hundreds and also had pikes.

5.The whole Legolas Spiderman thing on the Oliphaunt,Come on guys,get serious...

6.The fact that they didn't let Aragorn get Anduril from the beginning.

7.The way they portrayed the Mouth of Sauron was ridiculous.It was as if I was watching a stupid show like Power Rangers or Xena.Not to mention they didn't include a good scene with the Mouth of Sauron in the movie that was shown in the cinemas.

8.The fact that the Orcs who held Merry and Pippin fought each other because they wanted to eat them and the others didn't want to eat them and not because the Uruk-hai wanted to take them to Orthanc and the others wanted to go back to Lugburz.

9.The fact that they got us dizzy in all 3 movies with the "World of Men" and the "World of Men" and the "World of Men will fall" and such childish bullshit.

10.THAT UGLY,WEIRD,CAT thing Orc that looked as if a Troll farted on his face who was supposed to be a commander of Mordor's Army in the third movie.

11.How they portrayed Sauron as a big eye on a Tower that looked so stupid.Instead they should have shown some parts of him sitting on a throne in Barad-dur like a hand dressed in armor or wrapped in bandages or I don't know what.

13.The whole Theoden thing where he was supposed to be possesed by Saruman.Come on guys,he was supposed to be under the influence of Saruman through Grima's bad advice and lies not like they made him look in the movie.

14.Why the heck did they give Legolas two knives?He was supposed to have a long knife and a bow.

15.The fact that the Orcs reached the 4th or 5th wall of Minas Tirith while in the book no Orc passed the gate.

16.The thing that they put in the movie where the Rohirrim are supposed to be so desperate in the battle of Helm's Deep that they recruited children and old men.What the heck is that stupidity now?They were supposed to have enough men to defend Helm's Deep.They weren't that desperate!

17.The fact that they didn't make a nice fight scene with Gil-Galad and Elendil against Sauron.

All I can say is "Bilbo...the Ring is still in your pocket you son of a bitch!"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +388 / 0 / -0
    Someone said that Aragorn was suppose to be ugly? Well according to Padmé they succeeded to cast a perfect actor for that!:D

16. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to disagree with some of your points.

1. A key element in the book was that the elves were still fighting. In a film, it's difficult to show that without an obscure scene about Lorien that would detract from the storyline. Besides, in the book, the elves would have come if they could.

2. About the five axes, it's cooler for a film. Besides, he used the one axe most of the time.

6. It's harder to show progression of a character's thoughts in a short film compared to a book. In the book, Aragorn was on a journey and wasn't allowed to have Narsil for a long while. For the film, they just moved that material from the appendeces to the main story.

8. It added some well deserved intensity. It was there in the book, but in a different context if you remember which is harder to show in a short scene.

9. I didn't get dizzy, and a lot of that was in the book.

10. Gothmog was supposed to be an older orc. It made sense for him to be deformed.

11. It was the easiest way to convey him as an eye (which is how they often refer to him in the book). I do see your point though.

14. It was cooler. Besides, why aren't you complaining about the sword Legolas uses in the movie which he doesn't use in the book?

15. It added more intensity.

16. That was from the book. You'll remember the line "Some have seen too many winters...or too few". That was part of the book.

17. They did. It turned out to be too long with too much information. You can watch the original concept of the scene on the DVDs that has the whole bit with Elendil and Gil-Galad.

17. Entreri

Entreri New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I really dont like how they left out the dunedain who helped Aragorn! I mean come on!!!

18. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Anduril I understand your points,but still if those things were done exactly like in the book for me it would be much better.By the way,I knew that they had more footage of Gil-Galad but where on the DVD do they show that footage???? I have all the extended DVD editions and I didn't find that.Can you please tell me where?

19. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    i know! they made it seem like it was a real.y short part of the story

20. Lapis Lazuli

Lapis Lazuli New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My main problem with the movies is Arwen. They gave her way too much screen time. Did you know that they actually considered including her in the battle of Helms Deep?

Now, I haven't read the books in quite some time, so I could be missing something, but I almost lost it on this one. How the hell do you figure Arwens fate somehow being magically connected to the fate of the One Ring? How does that make sense? I suppose I'm venting over how rediculous it is, as well as asking for confirmation as to whether or not my complaint is merited, or if I'm just not remembering something from the books.