More theme ideas

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by javelin98, Dec 31, 2003.

1. javelin98

javelin98 does anyone read these?

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here are some more theme ideas for Elysium:

A strict lawful-evil-tending theocracy, where the priests run all governmental functions (I wish that sounded far-fetched...) and young folks are expected to become monks, cavaliers, or priests themselves;

A druidic society that worships the ocean instead of the typical forests (sort of like Celtic culture meets Seaquest DSV);

A peaceful, lawful kingdom of orcs, goblinoids, and kobolds;

A seafaring people whose towns are built of woven reeds that float offshore and flex with the waves (got that from a Retief novel);

Cliff-dwelling barbarians who all have astounding natural climbing ability, expert proficiency with small, one-handed weapons (daggers, handaxes), and who can't run at more than a brisk walk, as they rarely spend time on large flat surfaces;

A tribe of earth elementals who live among the great Crystal Forests to the south, crafting treasures of exquisite beauty, including weapons made of ceramic or glass;

Tribes that live under the branches of massive (500 foot tall, 500 foot wide canopy) life-giving trees, who nurture the trees and harvest the bark and sap to make healing and fertility elixirs. Each family has its own tree, and get nearly all their food from it;

A massive trading city that was laid waste when a dormant volcano beneath it erupted. Now the inhabitants and adventuring groups fight for the horde of precious stones and metals that lie within the ruins of the sprawling, shattered metropolis;

A belt of land that is permanently covered by lightening storms, within which lie rich fields of special fungi that have magical and medicinal properties. Apothecaries pay handsomely for them, but no one really knows what else might lie inside the storms;

Jungle-dwelling nomads who have a symbiotic relationship with a species of leech, without which they would die;

A collapsed totalitarian state, where warlords constantly fight for control of the mighty Duhr River but cannot harm foreigners because of a cultural taboo;

A cult of psionicists that does not know how to read, write, or speak, as all communication takes place thought-to-thought;

A mercantile company chartered by a distant king to explore and exploit the resources of the local lands (could be called the Budson's Hay Company);

Crime syndicates that vie for control of the underworld in and around the city of Istere, while trying to avoid open warfare with the authorities;

An earthquake causes Lake Gjuda, a massive body of water miles across, to drain away and vanish. At the bottom, explorers find the ruins of an ancient civilization, lost to time;

A demonic sect that breeds and raises humans, elves, and halflings for food;

A Kzinti-like race of cat-people who have suddenly, as the result of a great magical experiment gone wrong, become sentient, and must now deal with how to function in the world, both as individuals and as a society;

A warrior society where families are focused around ancestral weapons of exquisite manufacture; those who lose their ancestral swords are cast into slavery, and anyone who captures a rival's weapon gains the rival's family as part of his/her own;

Well, anyway, there's a few thoughts on how we can differentiate Elysium from other game systems. Some of them aren't very original, but could still provide fertile ground for adventuring.

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    WOW!! You've given this a bit of thought, Javelin. :)

Those are all great ideas for starting RPG characters or kingdoms.

3. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Great thoughts for people Jav. Great thoughs.

4. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Wow, great ideas! If anyones willing to work with me, I'd be willing to start a group of those Earth Elemental people.

Hmm, do you happen to watch Stargate SG-1, by any chance?

5. Sabishii

Sabishii Sindarin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Mmmm a Lawful Evil society sounds nice... Then our Chaotic Good Robin Hood-type characters could have a crack at some non-Orcs. =D

6. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    A few???

great ideas!!!!!!!

7. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    javelin those are great ideas....how on earth did you come up with them....not mentioning the time put in!

8. javelin98

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a long train ride into work each day (SW Connecticut into Manhattan), and things just kind of pop up. I used to want to be a writer, but that whole "starving artist" thing had just a bit too much of the "starving" part about it, for my taste.

I'm trying to come up with something around spiders, but I can't seem to without being too cliched. Hmmm... maybe more inspiration will hit later this week.

No, I actually haven't had TV reception for years. I didn't really regret it, either, until the new Star Trek series started up. Blast my feeble rabbit ears!

9. javelin98

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    By the way, thanks for all your great feedback! I appreciate it.