More Religion Woes.

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Kakashi, Mar 9, 2008.

?

Are you still following your parents religion?

1. Yes. I still belive in my parents religion.

34.9%
  2. No. I have converted to another religion.

11.6%
  3. No. I have dropped religion altogether.

53.5%
  1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Infidel usually describes someone who believes in another religion.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Infidel:
    a. a person who does not accept a particular faith, esp. Christianity. (I guess that relates to me)
    b. (in Christian use) an unbeliever, esp. a Muslim.
    c. (in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kaffir.

3. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yup check my quote above.

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    But as my description said, it says nothing about believing in another religion.

5. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Infidel doesn't mean you believe in another religion, it means you are a non-believer......

6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    But yeah, concerning the atheist crap again, you know you can get people who call themselves Christian Atheists lol Which is enough to prove to me how stupid it is to have the word in the first place lol By me saying I don't believe in god, or in any religion, that's enough. But when you get Christian Atheists...... lol

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    you see it's better not to be called an atheist, cause they could confuse me with these christian atheists, so that wouldn't be good....

8. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Infidel is usually said to describe a person of another religion and it's mostly used by muslims.

Now...Christian Atheists?What's that?It's the first time I hear that.

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I gave you an exact description of what the dictionary said, Muslims said it to insult Christians as they didn't believe in Islam.

Christian Atheism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheists

Infidel: An infidel (literally "one without faith") is an English word meaning "one who doubts or rejects central tenets of a religion or has no religious beliefs", especially in reference to Christianity or Islam.[1][2][3][4] When used in an Islamic sense it serves as a translation of the Arabic word kafir (literally "one who denies the blessings of God") referring to those who deny the existence of God, worship more than one god, or worship something else other than God.[5][6]

source: Wikipedida

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  10. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    You can look up Christian Atheists on wikipedia if you wish lol I'd send you the link but I'm using the PS3 so I can't copy links, but if you search it there, you'll find it lol

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Now I must suggest to all of us to stop this debate. I have heard from mods that this poll section is not a debate forum, so we should talk about this at debates if you really want to continue, but what this is, is actually spam, so if you don't want a mod on your back. Don't continue...

Here's a thread about atheism: http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?t=13159&highlight=atheism

12. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I drive people crazy :(.... :D I don't mean to but sometimes I just can't help an edge of sarcasm or a bit of cutting humour creeping in when I see total tripe being presented as fact rather than just as an opinion....

Infidel sounds so much cooler than atheist, especially if combined with the odd adjective like 'bloody infidel' :D

Oops just noticed, no 'debating' allowed ~ *smacks own wrist*

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  13. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I dropped religion altogether, although my parents aren't all that religious so it wasn't difficult. Still go to a religious school though.

14. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    lol, there is a single muslims ad on the top of this page.

15. Thagryn-Sylrand

Thagryn-Sylrand Ranger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Dropped religion for my own set of beliefs

16. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My parents are Christians, and I'm a Christian . . but I don't believe Christianity is a "religion" . . it's a relationship with Jesus Christ . . .

17. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    How can you have a relationship with someone who's been dead for two thousand years? Or do you hold the religious belief that he still exists in another dimension called Heaven? Because if you do then it's a religion.

18. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In that case, how can you have a relationship with someone you're not always able to see? I mean, if you can't see someone . . who do you know they're there? For example, when you're falling asleep at night, can you see all of your friends and family around you? No, you can't but you know they are real. And, I have faith . . "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." And when someone looks around, wether they're looking at a flower or a another person, it should be fairly obvious that someone had intelligence to create that. And, he's not dead for another thing, he's alive. For if he wasn't the foundation of this country and the millions upon millions of believers in the past and the present wouldn't be here . . and you can see them can't you?

19. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    A relationship requires some form of interaction between the parties. Anyway, that's not important as you have contradicted your own position by invoking faith. Your quote is a hideous parody of the real definition of faith, which is belief contradictory to, or in spite of a lack of, evidence.

How? Complexity does not imply design, rather the contrary. Designed items tend toward simplicity whereas even a brief education in Chaos Theory will show you how mind-bogglingly complex repeating random patterns quickly become. If everything had been designed by an omniscient and omnipotent creator then why are there so many flaws in nature?

A lack of logic in religious arguments is common but this statement takes the biscuit. Assuming you're American, do you actually believe that Jesus Christ founded the nation? It was my understanding that Jamestown was founded by entrepreneurs, not priests, and that the Mayflower and its cargo of English separatists didn't arrive until 13 years later, a year after the first representative assembly. The existence of the people is not dependant on existence of a deity either, in fact, without religious wars there would be far more of them...

And I've just realised that this is the poll section, not debating...

20. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    For one . . I could go on and on about things that I've experienced in my life and I know that were acts of God, but you, being non-saved, would have an answer or response based on what you know as far as the world is concerned. You mentioned "flaws of Nature", but you and almost everyone else in this world that doesn't believe in God/Jesus Christ has NO IDEA what the bible says, and you therefore say things that could be answered by reading the bible. The reason there are "flaws in Nature" is because of sin, before sin, the world was perfect, but after Adam sinned it all changed, the bible Specifically says that because of the sin of Adam there will be thorns and weeds and that in order to eat we will have to till the ground, and the thoughts of man will always be evil, which is why we have death and wars, and from death and wars you get flaws, whether the flaw was caused by skin cancer from chemicals used in a war, or in a plant that was overgrown by harmful weeds.

Your statement on Faith was prolly written very recently, whereas what I said was written over 2,000 years ago. Have you ever wondered why the Bible is the best selling and oldest book of all time?

As far as complexity goes . . it only makes sense that it was designed by an Intelligent creator, for if it wasn't, nothing would funtion . . nothing could have ever "evolved" not even in a trillion years . . because, when you look at the thousands of working parts of a single cell, (which the body has millions upon millions of cells) it would have been IMPOSSIBLE for time to put it together, because it would die before it could learn to build upon itself, nothing could have ever survived in that case because it would have to way to. UNLESS . . it was all made perfect the first time by God . .

Go look at the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It was written by Christians, and signed my them. And, now look . . now that we're turning our backs on God, the whole country is going to Hell . . but you know what . . you can't have heaven without hell too.

And, I don't mind discussing what I believe. And I'm not trying to get you to believe or convert, I'm just letting you know what I believe, and it's good to hear what you have to say too.