Money Makes the World Go Round'...

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Dynan, May 4, 2011.

1. Dynan

Dynan New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Does money actually cause happiness? Now, I know the cliche on both sides of the spectrum: "Of course it does! I can buy whatever I want!" and "Money can't buy happiness". And there is merit to both arguments. You can be the richest S.O.B on the planet and still be too socially inept to hold down a friend. It alienates, corrupts and distorts. On the other hand, without enough of it, you're on the street, dying of exposure and starvation, or just barely scraping buy, living in slums on the dangerous side of town.

So, my question is, does money itself cause happiness? What kind of person does it take to be completely broke, yet completely satisfied? And...is it possible to maintain a civilized society without it--where we get things with trade (services and products)? Could that lead, again to indenture? Slavery?

2. Eris

Eris Figment Of Imagination

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    you know, we have an expression in our country that says you need to have enough money too feel happy, when you felt you are happy just stop gathering a lot of it. cuz it makes you want more and more and more and you won't be happy ever! just feel the happiness with what you have and don't let something decide for you to be happy or not!
    It's what I have been told from my parents and they have been told from theirs...
    I just think we should work to have money but not that much. in that case money will have us

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Money is like all things - too much is not good for you

However defining "too much" is a tricky point since each person will have different needs and you have to have to factor in the fact that having more money tends to result in you needing more to continue your desired way of living. Thus there will never be a fixed value for what is too much money.

Generally speaking most people would be happy to have enough money to not have to worry about bills (food, electric, fuel) whilst having enough over to support at least one hobby as well as family needs as well as possibly travel money. As they get older most generally also want to have enough to leave to children/family though this is always a debatable point (some people are more selfish whilst others more generous to the next generation).

It should also be noted that if you've too much money you typically find people unsatisfied with many hobbies and interests - partly this is because they can kit themselves out with the best of the best or the complete collection within moments. The downside to that is that they get the feeling of completion way before they've really got into the interest. This tends to split - in the case of collectors they tend to shift from wanting one collection of something to collections of collections (since its too easy with one collection ;)) whilst those on a more skill based direction (ie taking part in something) tend to jump from interest to interest (mostly because whilst they get the best gear fast the acquisition of skills takes longer and can't be bought).

4. Dynan

Dynan New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Agreed and well-said.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Arguably the best lesson I ever learnt in school was the difference between a "want" and a "need." It really stuck with me since year 3 I think, and I've lived my life by it ever since.

My wife shares a similar attitude. Thus, we are able to lead simple happy lives on my modest single income, while raising 2 kids and paying a realistically affordable mortgage.
    Not to say we don't like shiny new things from time to time. But we live in an old house, drive 10 year old cars, eat basic food, wear the same clothes we have for years....we look after our stuff and prefer to repair than replace wherever possible.

If I can teach my kids that simple but powerful lesson, I'll have helped them with the entire rest of their lives :)

6. Dynan

Dynan New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I guess it's a fluid question for many then, of how many "wants" do they "need" to make them happy? I, for instance don't need more than anyone: shelter, clothing, water and internet. I'm not a big TV person, and I can do without a car. I can even probably manage without climate control. Food is my big thing. I don't eat fast food, and I try to stick with organic. Lots of fresh produce and good-quality meats, dairy and carbs. This can get expensive, but I feel that though it isn't absolutely necessary, it without much effort increases my quality of life beyond what owning material objects, or expensive services (like cable).

7. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I saw a graph about this once. Y was happiness, and X was income, or just the amount of money that you have. The more money, the happier until a certain point, the graph goes down again. The graph was a parabola. I don't know how they measured happiness, though. :)

I guess you start obsessing about money when you have too much of it... Would that be the explanation?
    Orrrr... You'll have less friends because people are often envious of really rich people. Orrrr.. There's more tension in the family because everyone wants to inherit the fortune. Orrrr.. You won't go to work and then get bored, have too much time on your hand and blabla.. Orrrr (even I am getting annoyed by my "orrrrrr's now, sorry, I'll stop after this!) when you have a lot of something, it loses its meaning. Like, when you go hiking and you get all dirty and you hardly get a chance to shower during these days, and then you get home and take a long and hot bath and that just feels soooo good, just because you didn't get a chance to wash yourself properly in these days. So maybe if you live your life in luxury all of the time, you get used to it, and don't appreciate things anymore.

8. Eris

Eris Figment Of Imagination

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    totally
    that was the perfect word! OBSESS! you can't get enough or it will loose the meaning!

And I think parents don't need to live a lot for their children

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    when was the last time you appreciated a drink of water - I mean really really appreciated it. Most developed countries have clean drinking water and most of us take it for granted that we have it (heck many consider it a right that they have the access to the water). Go out to a poorer nation and you can quickly see people really appreciate the little water they have.

Money is the same - just like all things when you have it so much that you hardly have to think about it its easy to get complacent with it.

10. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think that money makes not my world go round. The last thing/one that would make me tick is myself. A lot of people going to work everyday just to gain money and saving it. They give up all their life for god "money" whom they are slave to. It's a sound consideration just to work to earn as much money as to lead an agreable life but not live to work making money. As the reflection goes a bit further: When you are dead, you cannot take your money with you. Probably it will stay for your hereditaries who will fight each other of whom gaining the jackpot. So, you last shirt will have no pockets, better to spend the money you have as long as you live. You have earned it and you are the only one deserving it. Should it really be to much, start sharing! There are so many people around the world feeling glad having only the half of what you have. What you cannot take with you when leaving this life make a donation with.
    Remember that you really cannot buy health with money. Nowadays are still some illnesses that cannot be cured no matter how much you pay for operations or treatment.

And nevertheless as it comes to material as I have a special thinking concerning material: Money is material and material is not of continual duration. It will decomposite, of course, but before there will be other economic factors like inflation or all sort of economic crisis.

Last but not least: I do not like to be dependent on material. Moreover, I like to be free on my own.

11. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I agree that money to a point helps happiness, because so much in this world requires money to do, but I also believe that you don't need money to be happy. People cause happiness. Money doesn't. I have never been happy due to money or material objects. It makes things easy, it makes things nice, but it never made me happy.

I have a special hatred for people who believe they can buy love or happiness.

12. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I will have to say that money is the one and only way to survive on any level of reality. Yet when we use the differences between "want" and "need", now this is where we will be talking abt humane bias. The very fact that one person think earning 1.5K per month is enough doesn't equals the universal standard. This is point one. Point two lies in how much is enough? Simply put, you can't expect Donald Trump to say "Okay, I'll just put so-and-so amount as the maximum standard allowed to earn for MYSELF." There's a common Chinese saying that no amount of money can be seen as too much to be earned. You see, that's the greatest irony in humane nature. We professed ourselves to have a higher level of self awareness, but yet at the end of the day, chances are that we won't be able to differentiate between "survival" and "luxury". Absurd? Well I've nvr seen humanity itself as something firmly rooted in rationale logic anyway. -.-

13. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    If nothing else the economic problems of 2011 hopefully will redress the balance between need and want, save for it or borrow for it. If individuals, companies and governments had lived within their means only borrowing for long term infrastructure projects or for substantial investments / assets then we wouldn't be in the state we're in now.

Money is the oil that makes the world go round. You'd notice it if you had none and probably waste it if you've got too much! Most of the crap people waste their money on isn't needed and doesn't last anyway. It'd be far better if consumer goods were quality and lasted or in the case of technology were easily upgraded so we move away from a throwaway culture. 'Label' consumers make me laugh too. Who gives a #### if clothing has xxxxx brand on it if the non-flashy or unbranded version of equal quality is a fraction of the price? You might as well stamp 'MUG' on your forehead ;)

Happy (& Prosperous?) New Year :D

Hopefully 2012 will see the beginning of the end of the shallow consumer-driven, celebrity culture / life style that many aspire too.

14. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    @Elladan: On that final statement, you might as well wish for the Mayans' prediction of 2012 coming true. -.-

15. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hate money. I was raised to be grateful for a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food on my plate. As long as the basics are taken care of then I'm happy.
    I would much rather have someone do something because they are skilled or passionate about it rather than because they get x amount of money. People work around the clock, supposedly to better the lives of their loved ones but are in fact neglecting them because they miss out on all the important moments, the memories and then the children become spoiled and expect to get the best of everything as soon as it hits the market. They are never satisfied and they don't appreciate what they have until it is gone.
    So, does money make you happy? No. It can provide for the basics, but I'd rather spend a day in the countryside admiring the view and writing/reading than going on an expensive holiday, fitted out on all the latest designer clothes and gadgets.

16. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    No,money can't buy happiness.So give me all your money and go on in pursuit of happiness!

Search tags for this page
debate about money makes the world go round
debate on money make the world go round
debate on money makes the more go
debate on money makes the world go round
debate on money makes the world go round i
debating about money makes the world go round
does money make the world go aroumd soeevh
does money make the world go round debate
does money make the world go round speech
i dont agree that money makes the world go round discussion
money make the world goes around give five points