Mirkwood leather armor

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Soldier of Gondor, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Soldier of Gondor

Soldier of Gondor Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what is the best way to make some beautifull elven leather bracers with engraved elve motives? I have no experiens with this:)

2. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  3. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Soldier,
    Making bracers is easier than it seems.
    1 - Make a paper pattern that fits your forearm. Decide if you will be wearing something under the bracer or not when you make your pattern, i.e. the sleeve of a costume.
    2 - Transfer the paper pattern to sturdy paper/board, i.e. poster board, manilla folder.
    3 - Trace the pattern onto the leather. BE SURE YOU TRACE ON THE BACKSIDE! Use a Shaprie.
    4 - Cut the leather.
    5 - Dampen the leather then trace your elven pattern onto it.
    6 - Cut the tracing. Use a swivel knife if you can, $10 at Tandy.com.
    7 - In days of old they used orange wood sticks to widen the cuts.
    8 - Let the leather dry.
    9 - Stain, dye or antique to taste.
    10 - If you are using laces, I always reinforce the lace holes with gromets (any fabric store). If using buckles, attach the straps first (rivets), then put the buckles on.
    11 - Apply a finish. Right now I'm using Atom Wax which does a great job of sealing the leather plus providing a great shine. The finish makes your bracers shine like just polished shoes, and semi-water proofs them, should you spill an adult beverage of choice on them. Stains, while period, are so unsightly!
    12 - To custom fit the bracers, when finished, dampen the insides (untreated - no dye, stain, etc) then wear the bracers dry. They will conform to your arms better this way. I would also recommend turning up, just a bit, the leading edge of the bracer nearest your wrist. Much more comfortable over time.

If you use the anitque finish it will enhance the cuts of your elven pattern along with any irregularities in the leather, i.e. bug bites, scars, things that make your bracers look used and very cool. You could also tool the elven patterns. That would involve getting the tools and more detail. If you choose this option, re-post here or PM me and I'll give you the steps for that and where to get the tools.

I've got some of my bracers in the Art Gallery along with a pattern for them. You could start with that.

And please, when you are finished, POST YOUR RESULTS so we can all Ooooo and Ahhhhh over them!
    :balrog:

4. Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Im realy gratefull!!!!:)
    It will take a whild to make them since I have never made some before but I will attack some pictures to this site when Im finisht!!!!!!! :)

5. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I also have some files on winzip, if you PM me your email addy I can send them to you

6. Soldier of Gondor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how do I do that???