Minor Theories

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Unraveller, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I thought I'd start a home for all those little, unimportant things that confuse people that you've managed to figure out.

Basically I classify things into Major Theories, Minor Theories and Fledgeling Theories.
    Major Theories are the Biggies, Who killed Asmodean, Who killed Adeleas, What's the deal with Taim etc.
    Minor Theories are conundra unconnected with the main plot or unimportant to it.
    Fledgeling Theories are nice ideas you haven't found enough evidence to support or disprove yet.

Here's my first Minor Theory, feel free to comment or add yours.

Aviendha's Toh. (LoC Spoilers)

In Matters of Toh chapt. 19 of LoC, after 'Far Snows' and just before she goes to Salidar, Aviendha is thinking on her toh to Rand and Elayne. She thinks that she has toh toward Rand but much more toward Elayne, a termite mound beside the Spine of the World. All Rand did was save her life, she feels she betrayed Elayne. Now the part that confuses everyone:

"Killing Rand al'Thor would meet one toh, killing herself the second, but each toh blocked that solution to the other."

It had me stumped, how could killing the man Elayne loves meet her toh to her, obviously killing Rand isn't the solution to her toh to him?

Then it hit me, Aviendha wasn't going to kill him as the man Elayne loves but as the most important thing to her in the world.

Aiel don't value their lives very highly, life is cheap in the Waste, but living alone is terrible.

So, she could kill Rand and force herself to live without him, knowing that she'd killed him. That would be the worst punishment she could think of (very reminiscent of LTT's plight). BUT, in order for it to work she would have to be alive. Plus there's the small matter of her toh to him.

She could kill herself to meet her toh to Rand, basically undoing what he did for her. If it never happened then there's no toh to meet. BUT in order to meet her toh to Elayne she must stay alive and kill Rand.

Ji'e'toh's a bitch ain't it?

2. darkonesluck

darkonesluck New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

very interesting. never thought about it this way. good theory!

3. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Another one:

Elayne's kids

We only know a few of the Heroes of the Horn but two we know of are Shivan the Hunter and Calian the Chooser, twins born to herald the new Age.

we know Elayne is expecting twins, a boy and a girl, both strong and healthy. The timing is right for them to be born about the time of Tarmon Gaidon, either to fulfil the 'his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul' Prophesy, to herald the new Age or both.

Hence I believe Elayne's kids will be Shivan and Calian Reborn. We'll know for certain if they don't show up when Mat blows the Horn next.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Okay: didnt aviedha meet her toh to rand with the sword she gave him, I knw he gave everything but the blade back, but he accepted it?

other than that the theory is sound as a pound.

5. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    That was after she thought this.

6. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I though it was her afterthtough right after he got the blade.

7. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Aah, could be, I'm so tired these days my memory's going.

8. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Must be the taint of Saidin. You should get that cleansed.

9. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    What?!? Trust a woman?!?!?!

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    okay this is venturing a little beyond my knowledge, so I'm going to go away.

*Sticks fingers in ears and hums*

11. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    *mutter* *mumble* "Make'em pay" *mumble* *mutter*

12. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
  13. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Another Theory: Moiraine's Rescue

It's obvious that Thom is going to be the one to rescue Moiraine from the 'Finns. We know the only way to beat the 'Finns is to cheat:

“Courage to strengthen, fire to blind, music to daze, iron to bind.”

My Theory is that courage, fire etc, represent people, not things.

Thom is obviously music.

Iron would be Perrin from his Blacksmithing days. He also holds the missing piece of the puzzle that they need to find her, knowledge of the Tower of Ghenji from the Wolf Dream. (Birgitte also knows about them though.)

Courage is tricky. It could be Olver, he's often fearless. Tuon is another option. Mat can be brave sometimes and people think he is.

Fire probably refers to Mat with his connection to Auldra. It could be Rand, or another channeller too.

Basically the Theory hinges around the idea that the 'Finns can see the future in the same way as Min and like her cannot always interpret Viewings correctly, even though they can see them around each other. They saw that they would only be beaten by these four things and so set up the ritual in order to prevent it. This may now have given our Heroes the information they need to beat them at their own game.

14. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Although I'd like to see it happen, I'm not entirely convinced the Moiraine will be rescued. My main reason for thinking this is that there has been no hint of anyone suspecting she is still alive, other than Min's vision, wich is open to some degree of interpretation. Lan felt the bond disapear, though this could be because of both women channeling as they went through the portal, I think that if she were alive and well inside Lan would feel her. There was no indication that he felt anything different when she went through the portal in the Stone of Tear. I'm also not convinced that channeling inside Finn Land would have any negative effects, remember Rand channeling when he went into the portal in Tear?

One thing I did think of though, is if Rand had another encounter with reincarnated Lanfear, if might clue him in that Moiraine could possible still be alive.

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I like the sound of the people as the verses of snakes and foxes unraveller, it makes sense.

Obviously if rand is to win tarmon gaidon he needs moiraine because of mins viewing, which s the only indication we need her back and like turin said, reincarnated lanfear might clue him onto this, if perrin throws in his knowledge from chasing slayer then we have it.

I would assume to enter the tower of ghenji it would have to be through tel'aran'rhiod, as slayer did, and i would assume if it was accessible in the normal realm then a lot of people would go missing there. Unless it requires channeling to enter.

another thing is when mat enters the first doorway the snakey ones ask him if he brought iron, this may cast a shadow on your 'people' thing unraveller, but maybe it could clue something out if we look hard enough.

16. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    We don't know if Slayer went in or not, he could have just stepped out of the dream. I personally believe he did this as there is no reason for him to enter the tower. Or even know about it for that matter.

Other evidence....

-Moiraine knows who her husband is going to be.
    -Min saying that "Rand needs a woman whose dead to survive.
    -Min saying "Moiraine was the only viewing of hers that ever failed."
    -RJ saying that Min's viewings neverfail.
    -Mins viewing of Thom pulling a blue stone out of the fire.

17. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Thank you EMT. As I said, she's definitely coming back, too much evidence/foreshadowing for any other option. Plus the fact that RJ said he wouldn't be bringing her back to her old position as Rand's advisor.

The 'Finns questioning about iron etc. is a result of their not having interpreted correctly/not being able to interpret the Viewing about themselves. All they know is that they will be defeated/beaten somehow using those things. That's why they're so wary of Rand when he channels the fiery sword, they're watching for the other things showing up. This could also explain why channellers aren't forbidded from going through the doorways. If they were so scared of fire they'd never allow someone who can channel in, all four together are needed. They don't know when or how it's going to come but they know it is. Perhaps the rescue could be the end of the Tower of Ghenji...

18. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The only thing is.....why would they think Moiraine could be rescued ? And why would they think "Aah, Tower Of Ghenjei." As far as they know its just a tower, right ?

19. Unraveller

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    They all have different pieces of information, Perrin knows something about the ower, Mat knows the game and has met the foxes, etc. Once they all get together and start talking they'll figure it out. Or there could be some new development or they could decide to go there, for example, to kill Slayer or something and stumble across her.....

20. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Thats alot of ifs, especially for a series which has two books left.