Midnattblod's Reviews

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Midnattblod, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +790 / 4 / -1
    So I'm gonna start a little review thread, just to give my 2 cents on new games. I'll start when I get done with work, just setting it up now. Please note that I use a 100 point review system, so yea. Also note that a full 100 is very unlikely, cause even games I might be a 'fanboy' for aren't all great. Feel free to add your thoughts on any games.

2. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +790 / 4 / -1
    Alright, so first up is a game that I've sunk about 48 hours into, the latest new game in my list. Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

Personally speaking, this is probably the 2nd best AC I've played, only behind AC2. The map is massive, and there always seems like there's something to do, whether it's bounties, or naval battles, or the main story. Right away, you choose to play either a male or female character, which I always like. I personally went with Kassandra, the female, though I've heard that this is the more popular choice as she has the better voice acting. You play as a mercenary, during the Peloponnisian War, actually the second part of said war, not taking one side or the other technically, though I've tried to side more with the Spartans lol. It's a bit of a slow start, though once you acquire your ship it definitely speeds up a touch. For those who never played Origins, the combat takes a bit of practice (I'm about halfway through the main questline right now, and I'm still trying to get the hang of it), but once you get the basics down, you definitely start feeling the badassery. It's much more action packed then the older AC titles which had you basically holding a button for a bit and then timing your counter correctly. The game is gorgeous, with very vibrant colors, and imo amazing architecture (I'm a sucker for Ancient Greek architecture, and love that I'm able to see it in all it's glory). The naval battles are fun, though they feel very Black Flag-ish when it comes to the mechanics. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just kinda blah. I do feel like the story is probably the best of what I've played in the series so far.

So those were the main pro's, at least the ones I feel strongly about, now for some cons. MICROTRANSACTIONS! There's no need for boostes imo for this game. The cosmetic stuff is fine, but I don't see why they need to make it so that someone with money to spend can hit level cap and finish the game in a matter of days. To me, this defeats the whole point of gaming, and this goes for all games that have them. Where is the enjoyment when you don't have to even try and get that little bit of xp? Or maybe you want to upgrade your ship right away, why? There's a sense of accomplishment when you work hard to get the money and resources to get everything upgraded. I think this is definitely something that should be left by the curb when it comes to the gaming industry. Are these publishers so scared that a game isn't going to do well that they insist on asking for more money after the game drops? Enough is enough. Whew, got the big one out right away lol. Other points that I'd like to see improved upon are maybe shake up the side quests a bit. While they're easy for the most part, they kinda get repetitive, and are only really useful when you need a bit more money.

So, with all that said, after about half the game finished for me, I give this game a total score of:

86 out of 100.

I feel like the good aspects of the game outweigh the bad, and while I don't agree with the microtransactions, they aren't absolutely necessary to enjoy the game. Granted I have heard that the game gets a bit grindy after level 30 (I'm 25 atm I think), honestly which game isn't a bit grindy at some point or another. If AC2 hadn't been such a great game, I think this one would definitely sit on the top step of the podium lol. Let me know if you have played this game, and what you're personal thoughts on it were.

(Please keep in mind that this is my first review in quite some time, so it might not be written out in a review-y sort of way. This is partly on purpose cause I like to review something as though I'm telling a friend how I feel about it, I don't really like being all about the points. And @Overread , if you come back and start doing the weekly forum news threads again, feel free to add this thread to the list of things to check out. Also, if anyone has a suggestion on a game to be reviewed, let me know either here or with a pm. Thanks)

3. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,120 / 3 / -0
    Great review, but I need to say some counterpoints and I know many fans wouldn’t agree with me but imo Origins is better than Odyssey and let me tell you why. First of all, bigger isn’t always better. The map in Odyssey is huge and feels bloated. Unlike Origins I didn’t feel the drive to complete everything. The game didn’t make me feel ambitious enough.

Now a great thing about Odyssey is that it lets you choose your gender and I agree Kassandra is the better choice. One of the reasons is the gender of the eagle, Icarus. He’s male, while Senu is female and the eagle to Bayek. This balances things nicely out. Male and Female working together. Kassandra in the books is also said to be the canon character and I agree about the voice acting.

Though the acting doesn’t live up to the character of Bayek in my opinion. The way he was shaped as a character and his story was magnificent. Many fans agree that he could have been the new Ezio and that he deserved his own trilogy. Alas Ubisoft was making this game almost at the same time as Origins, so didn’t know he would have been so well received.

The dialogue options are a nice add, but mostly pointless imo. Romances are just shallow, except for one character maybe. I haven’t tried them all so far, but I tried most. Your character is just a horny mercenary, who can easily switch from one love interest to another.

Combat isn’t really different in this game compared to Origins, except for abilities you can use with the wheel. You had that kind of in Origins using specific abilities, but it was through a combo of buttons. The wheel makes it much easier.

One of my biggest gripes in Odyssey are the historical characters. They’re not as memorable as in Origins. I mean Socrates is just annoying imo. I really hoped more out of him. You can’t expect too much compared to historical characters like Cleopatra and Julius Caesar in the first place, though I agree that they were a bit underused.

Last I want to say that that naval combat is unnecessary in this game. Many told me that you can’t have a Greek setting without naval combat, but compared to Black Flag it feels like a real lacklustre.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +790 / 4 / -1
    Greetings from your own game reviewer... me :D

In this review, I believe it's time to give a review for what probably was the biggest game of last year... Red Dead Redemption 2.

So, just like the previous review, please bear in mind that I'm only about half way through the single player campaign, and I haven't actually done much in the story part of online. I think I'll try and make this a trend, just to avoid accidentally spoiling anything for people, so please keep spoilers in mind for any comments on any review I do. Please also be aware that there may be some early game spoilers, though I will try to be vague enough as to not spoil actual story parts.

Let's start, shall we.

PROS: The game is gorgeous. Unlike in the first Red Dead Redemption, which almost totally took place in a desert environment, the sequel adds a whole array of natural environments. The game starts off in the snowy mountains. You play as Arthur Morgan, who acts as the muscle of the Van der Linde gang. If you played the original RDR, you may recognize the name as the old gang that John Marston (protagonist of that particular game) was in and tasked with taking out. His position in the gang can definitely be felt, as you're often tasked with getting this or that, though there are definitely other tasks that you can do like hunting and fishing.

The free roam is so enjoyable, most of the time. You're able to do so much, just roaming the map. Feel like hunting for hours on end? You can. What about playing some pocker? Yup, that's possible too. Maybe you enjoy fishing, but maybe don't have the time irl. Well, after a bit of time, you unlock the ability to do that here. Maybe you just feel like riding around and taking in the sights. Whatever you'd like to do, you can.

The story is very compelling. It just has a tendency to keep sucking you in. I'm not gonna go into details, but just know, it's probably one of the best stories I've seen in a game in a while.

CONS: The beginning of the game is rather too slow. I think it took me about 4 hours (I honestly don't remember lol) to get through the early part of the game. This wouldn't be a bad thing If it didn't have to be done in order to get to the free roam.

Combat can be a bit tedious. Unless you're getting headshots all the time, some enemies seem to be bullet sponges. There have definitely been a few shootouts where I've gone through a full clip of ammo just on one person. That's not to mention the times where right as you take a shot, the guy you're trying to shoot ducks back into cover and you miss. In other words, aim for the head, and hope for the best.

THE ONLINE: Wow, where to start. It was super grindy when it first started, where the selling price of a gold ring wasn't enough to buy a can of baked beans lol. (As of the last time I played, this was still the case, but they made some early changes so that you acquire money a bit faster, so not really the end of the world, especially since Rockstar has stated that they intend to continue ironing out the economy.)

While some lobbies have people in it that only feel like griefing you, a lot of the other players tend to be more friendly then in Rockstar's other game, (looking at all those who decided to blow my poor lvl 2 GTA online character up with a tank :mad:). I have unfortunately bumped into it a bit here, which has literally made me paranoid around others, but most of them just keep to themselves for now.

While you have access to the entire game map, there really isn't a whole lot to do. You can hunt, fish (once you hit lvl 14 or 15), and kill random players and/or npc's. The games that are in the single player mode have not been implemented in the online mode as of the time of this review, though I'm sure that it will be eventually. Just kinda confusing why they decided to omit it when they obviously have the code for it already.

Character creation is much more streamlined then GTA, though imo still lacking. It could be so much better, but it's still rather basic. The thing I really don't get is why you can't change the height of your online character. Hopefully they add the option, and maybe give everyone a free redo of their characters so that those who wish to make small changes like that can. It's also a bit disappointing that you're only allowed one character, though that may change once the beta phase is done.

Ok, so this will be a 2 score review, one for SP, one for MP.

SP: 92/100
    I think a few things get in the way of getting a full 100, but it is a very well made single player experience. Especially if you like the whole western feel, I'd suggest picking this game up.

MP: 70/100
    The online game world is way too empty of activities at this current time to give it any higher of a score. From what I heard, there are only about 9 online story missions to do, and while there are modes like racing and a tdm-espue, which may give you the Battle Royale mode of the game, this is apparently random, and I haven't actually done any of them yet cause I'm hoping that they make it to where you can choose the BR mode. Plus every time I tried to get into a race, it kept asking me if I'd like to spectate, which kinda defeats the purpose of searching for a race to do. It is still in its beta phase, so it will get better, but it still feels empty. Of course it is great to just roam around for a few hours not really doing anything in particular, but that gets old after a while.

Thank you for stopping by, and look forward to the next review :D