Mid Term Elections

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by azuren82, Nov 3, 2010.

1. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Okay, we all know that the citizens have started voting on this event by the time I'm typing this. So my question is what do you guys think of this election? I remember seeing N numbers of polls stating that the public majority would want a Republic majority. What are you views on that?

2. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, here's what the next six years might look like. Republicans take the House. Tea Party rallies around possible Obama challengers. Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, and (I hope, I hope, I HOPE!) Chris Christie from New Jersey throws his hat in the ring.

However, if the Republicans elect a weak opponent like Mitt Romney (who had his own Obamacare like plan in Massachusetts) or Sarah Palin (no presidential gravitas at all) then Obama wins hands down in two years.

Chris Christie is what the US needs right now.This guy is EXACTLY what we need. Essentially, he is the go between. So many times politicians, Governors, and Legislators work with the government employees out of the public view, giving them what they want, all the benefits, perks, and salaries they demand. THEN they come to the American peopel to discuss how things are going. Absolutely ass backwards. The government sector is supposed to work for us, not us for them.

Awesome question and answer session. He lays down the issues that a few crying teachers couldn't manipulate. One teacher runs up and cries she isn't getting paid enough. Christie tells her she could find another job if she wants. The teacher come back was, "We do it because we luuuuuuv it."

Ugh, He asks the teacher union to make a 1.5% contribution to their health care plan, and take a one year pay freeze. Not a cut, a freeze. It would have saved 700 million in New Jersey and no teachers would had to have been fired. Instead, the teachers union rejected the idea, so thousands of teachers in new Jersey had to be laid off.

Liberals are kind and caring aren't they? Sacrifice a total of 1.5% of their pay and thousands of teachers can keep their job.

NOPE.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    One off topic question that interests me, Justice: What do you think of the bear hunt in NJ? From what I've heard, Christie gave the go-ahead despite the protest from the wildlife groups. I've actually heard it from a left leaning source, but due to the possible implications of political media, I don't know what to make out from this. -.-

4. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I never heard much from it. The only thing I know is bear hunting is not illegal if it is not an endangered species and hunting them is in season.

5. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I don't think black bears are in the endangered list, but supposedly the beef came up when these bears ended up foraging in human settlements. That's why Christie sanctioned the hunt. But then again, if the government had actually took preventive measures right from the start, things might not come to this.

6. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Interesting that no one came back to doctors with this response when they were "crying" about how much money they weren't going to make once the health care bill was passed.

7. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I heard plenty, but it doesn't matter. Doctors are at a completely different level than teachers. Medical school for over a decade. All sorts of exams and frequent testing and licensing. The cost of Med school alone is staggering. However, doctors are paid by hospitals, the majority or which still privately employ unless you talk about county hospitals.

Teachers are taxpayer paid, are producing terrible results in the US education wise, and have extremely powerful unions which essentially run the Democratic party. So it's not the same thing.

8. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Agreed, but the point I'm trying to make is that responding with, "Hey get another job" isn't really substantial. A better idea, IMO, would be to come up with solutions as to how pay rates can be changed for teachers. As you said, they have really powerful unions which keep crappy teachers employed when they shouldn't be. So maybe people should respond with "disband your union" instead of "get another job". The reason is that there are very many teachers out there who are great and are very important to the fabric of education in the country.