Metallurgy/Blacksmithing

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Meteorain, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Right, so I have been attempting to find some information for a fantasy book I am writing (for myself and friends) and an important part of it is where the characters beceome blacksmiths.

Now in order to do this properly I wanted to find out proper techniques and methods as to how blacksmiths during "the old days" i.e. what fantasy usually adheres to in terms of technology level used to work the metals and make what they wanted.

So what I am asking is to be provided with any information or pointed in the right direction as to where I might acquire information with all the technical details (what method is good for what type of weapon and specific use, how to heat the forge, etc) on how a blacksmith did his work.

Also information on different steel types (other metals possibly) and which steel is better for what situation would be helpful aswell. I believe an example I can give is how Damascus steel is superior to Wootz steel or Quench-hardened steel. How to spot good metals/ores aswell.

If you need anymore clarification please ask.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. Fergal

Fergal New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I might be able to help. I'm a blacksmith that specializes in custom knife work. pre 19th century techniques and equipment, with exception to my hand crank blower which was manufactured sometime in the 20's. I'm also a "smith in residence" at a 17-18th century historical homestead and as such have a fairly thorough knowledge of metallurgy pre-industrial revolution.
    I've also been delving into period heat treatment and fabrication of knives from the 9th to 12th century in G.B.
    feel free to PM or email me via this site or my home site http://www.forgedknives.net

I can also recommend a couple of books to get you going on some of the more fundamental questions.
    try these for basic forge assembly, blacksmithing, and heat treating
    "edge of the anvil"
    "practical modern blacksmithing"
    and ANYTHING written by Dr. Jim Hrisoulas
    look forward to hearing from you, hope these references help and good luck with your writing!
    Shane Stainton
    Red Dog Forge

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Welcome aboard Shane.

Can I ask how the paper is used in the finishing process? Or do you mean abrasive papers, polishing by hand?

Search tags for this page

18th century homestead blacksmithing

metallurgy black smithing

metallurgy for blacksmiths