Melee or ranged?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Foinikas, Mar 2, 2010.

?

Melee or ranged?

1. Melee

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Ranged

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I think my cop friend said if an angry crim is within 8 meters (~24 feet) there's not enough time to safely and effectively get your handgun out. Lucky for him he's an experienced wrestler :D

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Mububban,

I agree completely. Action beats reaction, and an assailant can cover a lot of ground and attack before even a trained man can react and do much of anything. If someone is within 10 metres or so you're already in knife fight range.

3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Not always. If you're skilled at evading and quick-, close-shooting, you could be deadly

4. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    It takes time for sensory information to reach the brian; it takes time for the brain to process that information; it takes time for the brain's response signals to reach the muscles. That's called reaction time. If your assailant gets to you and sticks you with something sharp faster than your reaction time you can be as accurate as a machine rest and as fast as Buddy Rich on speed, but you'll still end up an accurate, fast corpse.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Try it with a friend. Stand a set distance apart, with a toy water pistol or something in your pants pocket, and him with a rolled up magazine "weapon." Have him lunge at you and try to "attack" you with no warning and see how you go.

Keep in mind that police holsters have safety press studs or clips to avoid anyone stealing their weapon, so it takes an extra split second to undo that safety catch and THEN draw your gun, THEN thumb the safety off, THEN fire it in a controlled manner.

Like I said, my friend has done aikido and wrestling for about 15 years and he's built like a tank so he's taught quite a few drunk idiots who's boss :D