Meditation

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Kelmourne, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    So does anyone here meditate at all?

I've been doing it for about a year now but I still know very little about it and I would like to hear if any other TFF members have had any experience with it.

My 'method' involves closing your eyes and breathing in for 3 seconds, holding the breath for 1 second, exhaling for 3 seconds, then waiting 1 second before starting the cycle again. It seems to work pretty well in clearing my mind if I focus entirely on my breathing pattern.

Anyways, share meditation techniques/stories here.

2. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I just clear out my mind and prevent thought from forming, accompanied with deep, slow breaths.
    Sadly, I don't meditate as much as I should.

3. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    I try for at least 10 minutes every day, usually before I go to bed. It's so easy to fall asleep after that.

4. Aatell

Aatell The one who has two minds

The brotherhood of brothers of brothering brotherl
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i meditate, on a regular basis lol but honestly the best meditation out of EVERYTHING is train hopping not really suggesting it but yeah

i just sit down and keep my back straight and close my eyes breath deeply but steadily or laying down with your head raised slightly

5. Oliver

Oliver Sekhai

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You just have to sit in a confortable way and pay attention on your breath (or heart beat). If you pay attention on one of those, you won't have to worry about clearing your mind. And then, the lack of thoughts will make your brain work on your health. (I could explain this with more details if you want).

You can also use "mantras", special words that you repeat in your head in order to clear your mind. The most famous mantras are AUM and OM, which stimulates your superior chakras.

6. Mortuhm

Mortuhm New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I meditate every day, before bed.
    I start out by clearing my mind for a bit, then I let whatever images flow into my mind manifest. It's like going on a journey, but not controlling your destination. And in the end, I sit in retrospect about what just happened.

7. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have been starting with transcendental meditation from the age of 12 on. Later, I added Zazen (listen to your inner silence).

Meanwhile, I am myself some kind of an instructor how to breathe and meditate correctly.

Here is somewhat like a little instruction for the TM (transcendental meditation):

Firstly you should make sure that you cannot be disturbed during the next 30 minutes. Search a quite and calm place far away from noise and people. You can either choose a room that you can lock or if you prefer freshness, perhaps under a tree on a beautiful meadow. It is up to you.

Then you should assume a comfortable position. You can sit on a chair, armchair, at the bottom or even on "nothing". I myself prefer two positions (lotus position or half kneeling sitting on my heels). There again it is up to you, where ever you feel quite comfortable.

Your hands should rest in your lap. The open left hand palm should be placed above the open right hand palm. The thumbs of both hands should be joined together in form of a triangle which garantees best energy flow like in an uninterrupted circle.

After that you should close your eyes, not fixed or firmly, just soft, so that the light cannot penetrate. Do not do something uncomfortable by force while having the wish to meditate.

Now empty your head and put yourself in a most relaxed state!

It works like this:

Take a deep breath and inhale through your nose, then let your breath circulate for a while in your body and after that exhale through your mouth.

While your breath is in the circulating modus you can practice various things:

- counting (you can e.g. count till 10 and then exhale through your mouth)

- visualizing (you can imagine your breath e.g. as a white beam that rushes up and down and down and up)

- feeling (you can e.g. feel a draft passing your lungs, a wind that is getting stronger passing the solar plexus, tossing and tearing around the navel and climbing softly like on a ladder up, feeling little tappings)

It is again up to you how to get best relaxed but follow your breath. That greatly helps.

You should continue controlled breathing with your eyes closed during the following 20 to 30 minutes. You can practice this meditation several times a day.

To "come back" just stop breathing for a while and open your eyes. You will automatically adopt your usual breathing method. It could be that you feel a little tired afterwards. Therefore, you should stretch your body, rub your eyes and/or take a litte walk (if you have the possibility to do so).

Any questions? Please, just ask :)

8. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    I do Meditation; but not traditional. I focus more on my chakra's and the energies that some attribute to subtle bodies. I am a Christian by my faith, but there are many things in eastern beliefs of life, energy that I have found to be true to my spiritual beliefs; even if some might consider or call them pagan. My God knew what he was doing when he made my body and it is just as spiritual as it is physical and I do like to keep my spiritual side safe, clean and strong.

9. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The Skeptics Encyclopedia of Pseudoscience;"The chakra system... has no proven relationship with the anatomy or physiology of the human body. Nothing resembling the energy of the chakras has ever been detected, despite the exquisite sensitivity of modern instruments."

You only find these things "to be true to my spiritual beliefs" because they make you feel good.

There is no 'spiritual' side to the human condition, only the physical. If meditation helps you detach from the physical world, or clearly stated... reality, than it's not for me.

10. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    If it is possible to detach from the physical world, then the human condition is more than the physical. Your post is kinda hypocritical.

Also, it is possible that the chakra system is actually a physical phenomenon that we can't yet explain so some of us assume it is non-physical, and it behaves in the same manner coincidentally. People have been making correct observations and giving them incorrect conclusions for millennia.

11. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    Thank you Kel.

And Sparrow; there are still many things unknown about the human body; tell me what the appendix does for one.

I am not much of a person for believing in haunting and possessions; in fact i think most to many of the stories and people who do believe in it make it up for the attention. However I have seen many things in my life, including 'people' who could not be seen by the others around me.

Meditation is one thing that can do many things and it can be freeing in more ways then one; how far some people want to take that deepens purely on the person.

I have seen aura colors and energy colors; there are in fact energies of the body that science cannot prove and that nothing I say to you about what I have scene can prove that I have scene it.

While we are in the realm of things that cannot be explained; why in the world did God ever make a platypus? It is the mot backwards half assed animal their is, yet it is real and we cannot fully explained why it is the way it is at all. all we know is that it is those things, and that it works well that way.

12. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    When I was practising ninjutsu my sensei tried to teach us how to meditate. It didnt work for me maybe because at the time I didnt feel that I needed it, I just did it as part of the lesson. But lately Im thinking about it starting it more and more each day. I think nurishing your spirit is as important as food for your body.

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Scientists aren't completely sure what the Appendix is, or better put... was.
    The appendix is just that, an appendage to our intestines that over time has lost it's original function. It's just evolution at work; we needed it in some regard, or it was of some use in our evolutionary past, but is no longer needed. There's no occult mystery about it, just science.

About a year and a half ago I went into our local Emergency Room with horrible pain in a place I knew to be the location of my appendix. Within four hours it had been removed. I have three slight scars; one just below the bellybutton, another about three inches below that, and one on my left side. All healed by themselves as they were stitched with surgical glue and a few dissolving thread stitches. Almost no pain, just a little tenderness, and I was discharged from the hospital 23 hours after walking into the ER, as good as new... sans appendix. In fact next month I'll make my last payment on the 2,500 health insurance deductible... that was painful. :)

Thanks but no thanks, when the chips are down I'll take medical science every time.

14. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Sparrow doesn't believe in human spirit/ soul. Look at the do you believe to ghosts thread... You spend your time trying to explain him about meditation...

15. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    If someone doesnt beleive in human spirit then why bother visiting a thread on meditation? Having an opinion doesnt mean that you have to express it anytime you can. This is random chat not a debate thread.

16. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The thread is about meditation and in my opinion, in the religious/metaphysical/supernatural sense, it's nothing more than taking a placebo; that is I think in many cases meditating corrupts self-awareness by distorting reality.

In any case there's many kinds of meditative practices, not all are religious or pander to some "higher power", and perhaps I'd be open to one of them. If for instance there's a meditation regimen that includes a full body massage by a young asian woman... you can count me in.

17. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    All I can say is trolling much?

18. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    Meditation increases self-awareness by temporarily removing your mental barriers such as fear and prejudice, thus making you more aware of them and placing you in more control. People are unintentionally "brainwashed" by things around them all the time.

For instance, if you are an American, I bet at one time in the last 10 years you held contempt for the entire nation of France, disregarding them as pussies. The truth is, their people protest the things they dislike in their society much more than any country in the world. That takes balls.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    You must be kidding or something?
    The French protest a longer work week, loss of government benefits, loss of government jobs, for more vacation time, pension reforms... and so on. What the French dislike is having to compete in a Free Market and work more than a 32 hour work week. I think protesting those kind of things doesn't take balls, it takes an obscene amount of nerve.

And we Americans don't regard the French as pussies; truth is, we don't regard them at all.
    As we like to say, Paris would be the greatest city on Earth... if it weren't for all the French people living there.

20. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I do hope that you are the one who is kidding. Also unless you have the written approval of all american people your argument is invalid.