Medieval times or now

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Celtic_Ranger, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celtic_Ranger

Celtic_Ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    MEDIEVAL times all the way. back then it would be so awsome. you live by the sword you die by the sword. how cool

2. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    It would be cool. However, I like the present too. :D But I'd love to be able to trvael back in time and live in the medieval era for a while. Wishful thinking... :p

3. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Ya got that right, one thing that I like about it is that you could be an awesome warrior and not so quick in the uptake and you would still be respected.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    You guys all just gave your age away with those comments :)

Medieval life ain't the movies. You'd be lucky to live past 50, disease was common, times were tough, and only a priveleged few became professional warriors. And that job description meant that people are always trying to KILL YOU!!!

If you do some reading about life in medieval times, you'll find it's not glamourous at all. It's a life of toil and hardship, and then you die.

5. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Mububban, Personally I would prefer to live a short and worth-while life than a small cubicle in an office lifestyle, but that is just me. Also, I think that the diseases would be well worth the while. I have read many books on ancient greco lifestyles and celt-iberian lifestyles.

6. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, age has nothing to do with it.

7. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Living back then would be a dream for me, thinking of fighting in a grand army, heading a charge of mounted men-at-arms, manuevering on a vast battlefield, cutting down my enemies... Going home to a big open hall with lots of food, friends, and stories of bravery and heroics to share for hours on end... That'd be the life, 'eh?

To those (like Beren) who think like me... In the: "Ah man, it would be worth it! You could fight with swords, etc... Be in big battles, yada, yada, yada..." Let's get more realistic...

That's if you lived past being a kid in the first place. What type of family would you be born into? Would you be wealthy if you were randomly placed back in Medieval life? Not likely. It's likely you wouldn't even be able to afford a sword! If you did fight, and were any type of normal person, you likely wouldn't even have armor. You'd have a spear, and a shield, and be tossed in front of some rich men so that you could die before them. That was life for the soldiers.

If you did happen to work your way up, things would be even more chaotic. More people would know you, more people would want you dead, etc... On and off of the battlefield.

Now, it's more than likely you wouldn't even see much fighting during your life, unless if you were a professional, which, as Mububban pointed out, would be unlikely. You'd be some poor old sap who owed his life to a Lord in some manor, while you served as a serf on one of his many farms, and you and your family would be provided with little support.

There would be disease everywhere. If you would be lucky enough to live during a time like that of the plauges, there would be a one in three chance of you dying. Fun, huh? Food, well, you'd have to work your ass off for your livelihood. Hearty food was a novelty for many. What're the chances that it wouldn't be for you? Not many, if you were just "alive" during the Middle Ages.

Natural disasters? Not a lot of protection from the storms and fires... Death, well, dead folks didn't often get tended too like most these days. Another source of disease. Fevers and common colds? Little Viruses? Even Waterholes, etc... Spelled death faster than you could find someone who knew what you had, back then, a lot of the time.

Think realistically, Beren (and anyone else to whom this applies) You WOULD NOT want to live in the past, no matter who you are. Your chances of leading any type of what most would consider a "normal" and "safe" life, or, in some other folks perspective, a "successful" life, would be about 1 to 1,000.

I'm sure most of us have seen the film "A Knight's Tale". Well, in reality, it would have gone more as follows, in all likeliness...

His Nobleman would have died, he would have run away and been another loser squire to another knight...

OR, he could have put on his armor, fought a bout... Won an award, and then got hung several hours later when someone found him and realized that his knight was dead.

End of story.

-Gregory-

8. Gregorius0202

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    "I have read many books on ancient greco lifestyles and celt-iberian lifestyles."

May I ask, what books have you read about "Daily life" in any of these societies? I'd be interested in hearing about what exactly deluded you to think than anyone back in the day really had "good" lives, beyond being powerful, living a long time, or becoming part of history, which of course they wouldn't ennjoy any of the glory of, since it would only happen after their deaths.

Might you be thinking of the Caesars? Or the powrful and heroic warlords of Celtic Legends? Or possibly those famous Woad painted warriors who were brave enough to fight naked, and wore so many torcs on their person that their limbs shimmered with their great wealth (given to them from those who they had dispatched)? Few men under the "top" had a good life, and unless if you were one in thousands when born in the ancient or Medieval worlds, and were lucky enough to be considered on "top", then it's most likely your life would in fact be a living hell in comparison to anything in your wildest imagination that you could be doing right now in a normal American or European lifestyle.

----------------

It interests me in particular that you mention Ancient Greek lifestyle. Do you know much about the rights those people had? Not being able to speak out against anyone who was mightier than yourself, without having the chance of being killed for it? Having to work long and hard in order to raise a living. No "brain" work, back then, like there is now... All physical labor, for the most part. Often in the face of famines, diseases, etc... Heck, there were plauges in cities, where over half of the people would die. Happened in Athens at the end of the Peloponnesian War. Some of the only Brilliant men of that time, like Socrates, were killed by men with power, simply because they knew what was going on, while others did not. They were made scapegoats for their knowledge of things that others could not understand, and blamed for the problems of whole nations! Could you imagine living in times like that?

How about being able to be under the rule of a tyrant king of the Spartans, having to deal with and manage dozens of slaves (helots) and be away from your family for months at a time, fighting in a war-torn country, where every field you looked at would likely have been littered with bodies at one time or another?

Would you really like being in almost constant warfare with cities who were hating the guts out of you over some simple fields outside of your walls? Having to march around in big phalanxes when you'd much rather be at home with your family, and being stabbed at by EQUALLY good soldiers? What would make YOU the soldier who survived, or the one who wasn't stabbed first? The fact that you think you'd be a better fighter? Tell the guy who'd be trying to kill you that you're a better fighter. Doesn't make it so.

I have plenty more than I can write, but this is a bit messy right now, so I'll keep it at that. Sorry for the double post.

-Gregory-

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  9. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
  10. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I just got that book for Christmas from my grandparents. (the one in the link)

11. Gregorius0202

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to say that there is no way that KILLING men with swords would be worth a life of hardships and danger... If that's the way you think, then I'd have to say that you have some issues:\

People these days swing around and use real swords, and have combat groups (like the SCA) etc... Without any death, or destruction, etc... There's nothing unreal about the swords I have, and I get to do whatever I want with them, within reason.

Would you really give up the full life you can enjoy now, in order to go back and have the supposed "joy" of being able to slice living men's guts with swords? Do you dream of blood and gore? There's no reason to wish to go back and live in the past and "prove yourself" as a soldier at the cost of people's lives. Men can prove themselves on fields of battle if they so chose to now, but if it's not necessary, then it shouldn't be done. If you want to "swing" real swords, then buy one, and for god's sake, swing away!

-Gregory-

12. Celtic_Ranger

Celtic_Ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so Greg no one asked for your opinion

13. Celtic_Ranger

Celtic_Ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont dont think beren said he wanted to cut peoples guts out... i agree its better to wield a sword or a bow over a new-age gun. the walks of live were different back then so u cant possible compare the two (i.e. hand writin = computer).

14. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    actaully, you did. When you start a thread, expect to hear other's opinions.
    Please keep this thread in order, or it will be closed.

15. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I gave a warning, thread closed

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.