Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Gavaha, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Want to improve your swordfighting? I would totaly recomend this A++ book, it shows sword and sheild, longsword. This is a great book.

To check out this Great book, go here

2. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Link doesn't work.

3. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hmm, well, go to www.waldenbooks.com and search for Medieval Swordsmanship, its a blue book

4. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is the one by John Clements, yes? It's a great introduction. Does have its faults, though. He wastes too much energy bashing what has gone before...

Check out http://aemma.org/ Academy of European Medieval Martial Arts. They have a pdf longsword manual.

Western Martial Arts (WMA) is just beginning as a movement, and it's a very good thing.

5. Kinslayer

Kinslayer Warrior of Rohan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if there are any books on fighting from horse back? with sword, mace, flail, hammer etc?

6. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There's a book coming out based on the works of Fiore dei Liberi, which includes longsword, dagger, and should have some horseback stuff. Check Chivalry Bookshelf.

7. Boromir Of Gondor

Boromir Of Gondor Aragorn was a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I plan on purchasing Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques, very soon. So i want to ask if it is a good way to begin, and how useful it is. Thanks alot.

8. tharkun

tharkun coraxion

Netherlands and between heaven and (middle)earth
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you guys and boromir of gondor I am also planning to buy this book.

on the following page you can look inside this book, but its only the contents and the introduction:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=sr_8_1/103-0330946-8059001?v=glance&n=507846

Now I want to ask: if anyone has this book, can you scan a page with a practice-drill or some technical-drawings, so I can see how it works!!!

PLEASE!!!

Mail or PM, bye and thanks

9. Boromir Of Gondor

Boromir Of Gondor Aragorn was a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes! it says on the title page that it has sparring methods and practise. i am ordering from Amazon, and i cant wit to get my hands on it!

10. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I own the book I got it a few years ago as a christmas present.
    it was loaded with a lot of stuf I already knew about he longsword, some stuff I didnt know aobu the sheild and sword and not enough about the greatsword, whih really is jsut a big longsword only more limited in gaurds.
    And it oofers up some guidlines for fighitng agsint pole arms and other swordsmens
    there are no actually drills in the book as such. Clements suggests using transitons from the differents gaurds as a drill. And he does spend too much of the book bashing on styls taht differ too much from his own veis, not with out any real reason though the styles of practice he bash deserve to be bashed IMO.
    And he does have nce info on the different types of medieval swordds even if I disagree with some of his clasifications.
    It worth it if know next to nothing about swordplay and its some what useless to some with some wokring knowledge.

11. gohekan

gohekan The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    KYO vs Samurai X. Who will win?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  12. gohekan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just tested for 4th degree black belt in TKD.Wich means i start to train with swords , sheilds , knives and bows.YAY i cant wait.Remember this though , Force is completely usesless if used without regardness of technique.I learned the hard way.If your fast and accurate with a blade,You are more deadly than any adversary.But if you mix that with brute force, then you will be untouchable.Remember these things in a sword fight: concentration,reaction force,breathing controle,balance,speed.If you master all of these elements then you will be unbreakable.

13. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Umm....gohenkan. This is a thread discussing a specif book about a specific style of swordplay. There are several other threads about general sword play. know I am probably the wrong person to say anything to anyone about what they can post where. I undestand you excitement about being allowed to learn weapons from your TKD dojang, are you plaig in purchasing this bookk to gain a different perspective on wordplay?

14. gohekan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am truely sorry.I dont know what came over me.

15. gohekan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and yes i am

16. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    John's book was good for it's time but is seriously limited now. Far better books on the subject include 'Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship' and 'Fighting with the German Longsword', both by Christian Tobler. Also 'Medieval Sword & Shield' by Paul Wagner and Stephen Hand, as well as 'The Medieval Art of swordsmanship'. This last one is a reproduction and translation of the original medieval manuscript upon which Wagner and Hand's book is based. 'The Swordsman's Companion' by Guy Winsor is also an excellent how-to book.

All of these are far superior to J.C.'s book and don't have the ego present.