Medically assisted suicide/patient induced death

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Tinuviel, Dec 10, 2003.

1. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This is a very tricky subject. Can't say I have made up my mind on it yet. But if it were to become leagle, some people would take advantage of it and try to knock people off leagally for all kinds of reasons.

2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    While this is legal in other countries, I don't see how this is an issue. You can't take advantage of this cause as I said it's a long process of testing whether the person is sane of mind and other tests so no mistakes can be made. Anyone who wants to do this and has to sign personally a contract a clearance that they are ready to take the poison and will allow themselves to be assisted to do so, as of course family members won't accuse the people who give them the poison of murder or any kind.

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Why? I certainly don't, and I guess other atheists don't need it either. I'm quite content with the idea that life is unplanned, that there is no purpose or greater meaning. We live, we experience, then we die. Good things happen to bad people, bad things happen to good people, and vice versa. I'm quite okay with that and I don't feel the need to believe anything else.

I agree with you on that point. There seems to be something innately human that needs reassurance. I think it's fear of the unknown/unpredictable, especially death. All cultures have worshipped something - the animals they rely on to eat, the sun that gives life, the seasons that dictate life etc.
    Humans also have a need to seek out mind altering things like drugs and alcohol. I'd love to see a study on the addictive nature of humans and centres of the brain that control that, and religious belief.

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Thanks to Anakin I found the video he mentioned, Terry Pratchett : Choosing To Die :
    Whether you are for or against assisted death or voluntary euthanasia, this is well worth the hour it takes to watch. It's very sensitively done and shows people who have chosen to live in hospice care as well as those who wish to die. It also doesn't shy away from showing a very "anti" stance from Terry Hatchett's personal assistant. It shows self-doubt, fear, confidence, vulnerability, and strength. It's not gruesome or gratuitous in any way.

An interesting snippet:

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The entire thing is absurd.
    What sort of bizarre world are we living in where we need to ask the government for permission to die?

What's really sickening about it, that these people for lack of guts bring strangers into the mix and burden these people with their own death. Unless the person has a catastrophic accident and is suddenly rendered unable to act on wishes to end it all, then they should be masters of their own destiny. I also watched the recent Frontline or BBC (I don't recall which) production on this subject as they followed one such case from beginning to end. Do we really need to turn death into a bureaucratic nightmare? He could have killed himself long ago but instead he draws it out to the bitter end. What kind of death is it when you find yourself in a foreign country in a rundown hotel room, and sucking poison mixed with fruit juice through a straw.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Well what do you expect... That people can just kill themselves freely using any means necessary. Death is not a light subject so following some rules are in order, but I do believe everyone is entitled to take their own life depending on their medical status.

7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    But why does the State need to be so intimately involved in what is a very personal affair?

These are things that should be left to individuals and their families. Just my opinion.

8. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Money-grubbing kids pressure parents to kill themselves to get their money.
    Mentally ill person not making a sound decision has unquestioned access to assisted suicide rather than mental health services.

This is one time I actually think the state does need to be involved to ensure the system is not abused. Realistically, the only way this sort of controversial topic will be introduced is with several strict checks and balances to avoid abuse. Then once those frameworks are in place, the state is effectively "hands off" in your own personal decision, if you understand what I'm trying to say.

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    This link is to an anti-euthanasia article, which I disagree with but hey, a debate needs two sides right? :)

http://www.watoday.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/no-dignity-in-euthanasia-20110704-1gz0o.html

This to me is a ridiculous argument designed to prey on fears, rather than facts. Euthanasia proponents nearly always support very strict guidelines, not an open slather "here's your death pill" attitude to anyone and everyone who hates Mondays. We're talking about people of sound mind making a conscious deliberate decision. Obviously if you are in a vegetative state, you can't decide. So your wishes would default to things like a "do not resuscitate" order or orders left with your family. My wife and I have the DNR understanding if one of us were forced to choose for the other in a vegetative state.
    Nor have I ever heard any voluntary euthanasia advocates suggest the abolition of palliative care. If you want to fight tooth and nail and hold on as long as you can, then you should receive every help available. Voluntary euthanasia has never been about removing other options, it's about legalising an additional option.

10. ciemnika

ciemnika New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My vote is that anyone of a certain age should be allowed to commit suicide for any reason they see fit. Your life is your life and I can't fathom standing in the way of someone's choice about when to die anymore than I can with when that person wants to eat.

No, I don't *want* the people I care about killing themselves en masse, nor do I expect anyone else to. However, the notion that I should have any say over how you behave insofar as it doesn't harm me boggles my mind. I cannot imagine telling someone they can or cannot commit suicide anymore than I can imagine telling them they can't have an abortion or they can't eat meat.

Clearly, it would be problematic if people with young children killed themselves, but I don't really think ready access to a painless suicide method would really push those sorts over the edge.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I sort of think it would.
    I think the government should in general just butt out... but nor should they, or we as a society, make it easy for people who are suffering emotional pain to commit suicide. I'd prefer the government promote ready access to mental healthcare. There's no going back on suicide.

12. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yet another elderly couple commit suicide as there is no legal option to end your own life in this country.

And this comment from a reader sums it up as well:

I want to live as long as possible. I treasure each day I have of this wonderful experience called life. But if I get to that point, I want to be able to say my goodbyes and take a drink or pill that will make me go to sleep with my loved ones around me. Not kill myself in hiding and have my poor family discover my body and explanatory note a week later.

Search tags for this page
assistedsuicide hotelroom
belgium hotelroom assistedsuicide
content
meaning of medically induced death
medical induced murder
medical induced suicide
medical inducted death

medically induced death

medically induced doctor suicide

medically induced suicide

medically induced suicide terminal