Matron Malice (R.A Salvatore) vs Graendal (Robert Jordan)

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by S.J. Faerlind, Aug 3, 2012.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Apparently we need a new debate since nobody's posted here in days. If you've read both RA Salvatore's original Drizzt series (The Dark Elf Trilogy: Homeland, Exile and Sojourn) and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, I'd love to hear your opinion on the following:

Graendal and Matron Malice both scheme, plot and use both their magic and cunning to get ahead in life. They both call upon the favour of their respective deities to do it too. If they were competing against each other, who do you think would win?

2. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I don't know who Grendal is,but Matron Malice is a fascinating character.I remember when I was reading "Homeland" and "Sojourn" I was so impressed by the Drow society.The characters in these books are so powerful,so imposing and fascinating.The Forgotten Realms' Drow matriarchal society is one of the most interesting ones in fantasy and Matron Malice is a character you'll think of as familiar,but at the same time original.

She's smart,she is manipulative and falters easily when her hatred consumes her and blocks her logic.Strategic but at the same time ambitious like a typical Drow Matron,she is a great villain and imposing character.

3. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Matron Malice and Graendal have a lot in common Foinikas. Graendal is one of the "Forsaken" - powerfully magical servants of Robert Jordan's "Dark One". Like the Drow house matrons, the Forsaken plot and scheme amongst each other to serve their Lord much as the Drow try to earn Lloth's favour and move their house up in the rankings. The Forsaken all want to be Nae blis: the Dark Lord's favoured servant when he comes into his kingdom. I think Graendal has even been labelled as "the spider": weaving her plots of treachery from behind the scenes to further her own ends. Should be an interesting "cage match"!