Massive open world games

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Midnattblod, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It is funny... many old school first person shooters were fantasy games. You have Catacomb 3D, Heretic, Hexen... the player controls a wizzard that blasts his way through demons and zombies.

It is interesting to note that the genre evolved to be focused on military combat almost exclussively. Maybe because of the reasons provided by OR.

2. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    that may be true, but I really want to try Chivalry. it's a FPS, but not really with the S part. castle sieges and Mideval warfare and all.

3. DITF-Ninja

DITF-Ninja Chaotic Neutral

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I don't know I have just been a little disappointed that there hasn't been very many true next generation type games to make proper use of the new consoles and crazy PC builds. A lot of them are some sort of a remake with just enhanced graphics. And it seems like one of the game genera that is seeming to take off is choice based ones like Life is Strange and Until Dawn, as well as the growing list of Telltale games. And as good as the stories get on those you really aren't playing a game, just selecting where the story goes and watching it play out. I think the creating of games like Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky are good things simply for the fact that they allow the player to dictate things in a true open world setting. However that only covers one category of game types. As far as the FPS world goes the majority is still accepting the cranked out face lifts from several generations of games ago and the few that break the mold rarely get enough of a following to continue.

I would say as far as games I am looking forward to because of new elements on the game structure level is Battle Born where they combine hack and slash with FPS in an RPG element. And the new Doom is adding several new elements by forcing players to constantly disengage enemies only to reengage later in a rotation, useful and quick assassination or "Gore kill" animations as well as a good looking third dimension axis of gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I couldn't agree more honestly. the fps genre needs to break away from the cycle it's created for itself if it truly wants to continue being an integral part of the gaming world. I feel like it needs to be a new franchise made by a studio with nothing to loose as well. otherwise it's just another in a long line of games. some genres I feel should also work more at breaking out of the 'beta' phase, like most survival games (i.e. Ark: Survival Evolved, Day Z, and games of that nature). I guess only time will tell. personally I am having more than enough fun playing FF XIV on my ps4 (which sadly is one of the only games I seem to play on it right now, but it's too dang addicting). I am still excited for the upcoming few years, just to see where we go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I agree with DIFT-Ninja in that many games feel more like a interactive film than like actual games.

Somebody made a Doom parody for rising awareness about this fact.

6. Detth

Detth Wanderer

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I possess Chivalry :D This game has been very cheap during the steam sales lately..But tbh it's fun if you play with friends, on the long term, it gets boring

7. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    so like any other multiplayer heavy game, fun with others, not so much when alone

8. JamesGoblin

JamesGoblin New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I measure the size not by empty maps (say, Elite:... was once accurately described as "A mile wide but an inch thick") but rather by number of players - of course, on huge maps if possible. In other words, I prefer MMOs to co-ops and multiplayers which are quite fashionable lately.

Games like No Man's Sky, Elite:... etc. are in that regard a couple (not a typo) of orders of magnitude below titles such as Camelot Unchained or hopefully Crowfall - classical titles such as Eve Online aside.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rochari

rochari Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't need an open world on the ground to be too big, but space will need some extra. In any case they can be constantly expanded with mods/DLC/exp packs, etc. No Man's Sky and Star Citizen will likely do that.

As for the ground I think the Far Cry or TES gameworlds are about the right size for a 20+ hour quest and a hundred or so of sidebars. Again mods etc will add to that over a game's life cycle - especially those with long waits between sequels like TES.

However it's all down to what you do with it. Far Cry 2 had one of the best open game worlds and source material I've ever seen. However it was marred by linear story, repetitive combat, silly nods to GTA, and a severe lack of content in the form of NPCs and side quests that would make up a living world. STALKER was similarly hamstrung by the idea its developers had that it needed to be a 'shooter' (that and it was clearly unfinished).

On the other hand fans of Skyrim, Oblivion and even Morrowind are still getting their jollies 5, 10, 15 years later. So as always it's not the size, but what you do with it. o_O

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I like big open world games, but they have to be detailed for me interested and the game itself has to have a good structure to it. I like Skyrim and Fallout 4, but ESO seems bland by comparison.

The problem for me is that the best open world games right now are all Bethesda and they're quickly becoming the EA sports of RPG's, IMHO. The graphics and mechanics improve from game to game, but they still have a massive number of bugs, and they just keep taking features away and bringing them back as well as redesigning the same old features and creatures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1