Man of Steel sequel (2015)

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Anakin, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,152 / 5 / -0
    An official sequel has been announced on Comic-Con, which is said to feature Batman. Some speculated that this would be a Superman vs. Batman film, but I think it's too early for that. I think they might want to let go of the idea of a Batman reboot and let him just feature in the next Man of Steel film so that they can avoid a possible reboot that doesn't live up to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. The idea of a new Batman is only necessary for DC to build up the Justice League movie WB wants to make, so an appearance in the new Man of Steel sequel might be sufficient, rather than a full film. Here's the official statement:

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    I've never thought that Superman and Batman could work in the same universe, because their equally matched foes wouldn't suit each other. Superman would just demolish the Joker etc, and Batman would be crushed like a bug by Zod. So how is that going to work, beyond batman helping with the detective work of solving a mystery?

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    I can't even work out how something with so many plot holes that even my mother noticed them can get a sequel. Also I'm getting bored with all these character remakes of the DC heroes. It's getting silly that they keep rehashing the same characters and re-launches over and over and over again when DC itself has legions of heroes to choose from.

4. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,152 / 5 / -0
    Well the thing is that they desperataly want to get a justice league movie, just to match Marvel's Avengers. You have more superheroes in the JL among Batman & Superman. There already have been several attempts to bring Wonder Woman to the big screen. It's sad that it hasn't worked yet. Also Green Lantern flopped, but are they going to ignore that and bring Ryan Reynolds back anyway. Bale & Nolan said they were out in case of Batman. Nolan is not even going to have such a big role in this movie compared to the first one. He'll just be executive producer.

5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +332 / 2 / -1
    seconded!!!! I'm so tired of them rebooting superhero flicks *sigh*

6. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,152 / 5 / -0
    It seems they are going for a sort of Superman vs. Batman film. I don't know how they'll pull it off. Batman's going to need a kryptonite armor to defeat Superman lol

7. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -0
    They'll probably go the standard route and have them start out at odds, Superman is shocked at how Batman can outmaneuver him, then they team up.

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    To be fair Batman is basically the good version of Lex Luthor - stupidly rich and smart; though with a better skill set at combat.

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +199 / 1 / -0
    Yeeaahh......can't see batman being any sort of threat or challenge to Superman at all. So unles they gimp Superman somehow (any options beyond kryptonite?) then I still don't see how and why he's going to need help. Take the Avengers finale. He's so fast and strong, he could have single handedly demolished all the Chitauri (eventually), and flown up through the portal, super-punched Thanos in the face, closed the portal, and zipped through in time. He's got Iron Man's flight, Hulk's strength and invulnerability, he has ranged ability ie laser eyes so that's Thor's hammer and Hawkeye's arrows. He doesn't need a shield ala Captain America, and Cap couldn't take out Loki so he's all a bit meh.

Still don't know how this is going to work, as Batman with/vs Superman, or Justice League. DC have gone less fantastical than Marvel with the Avengers universe. Who could they bring out as a somewhat plausible enemy?

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Superman's weaknesses are normally:

1) Kryptonite - despite being ultra rare every bad buy has a little stashed away

2) One place, one time - he can move super fast, but he has to know where to move too. He's a great guy for dealing with one problem at a time, but multiple problems over a wide are could defeat him

3) He tends to not have much of an eye on the world through electronics or other such surveillance - tending to rely on what he sees and hears directly - as such he tends to be very poor at predicting trouble before it kicks off.

4) Out of sunlight - he's powered by the sun thus with no sun he can weaken given time - however that requires incarceration or battles on other worlds (he tends to shift between being able to survive in space and not being able to survive in space).

That said most of these things he can overcome - he is very much a "god mod" of a character which is sort of the problem with pairing him with anyone - though Batman does at least tend to keep a closer eye on the world, even if his eye is normally very focused upon one city.

11. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,152 / 5 / -0
    Out of sunlight. I'm not sure, cause of course sunlight is reflected by the moon. So at night he would still have a certain strength. I don't think he suddenly weakens when it's night.

12. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Yes it takes considerable time for him to weaken, but just like other Kryptons gain strength in the sun they can lose it too. I think he has a much slower loss effect because of his growth under the sun itself leading to a natural ability to prolong its effect on himself.

That said most of the time that happens the only time to keep him under those conditions requires kryptonite to keep him compliant so that normally takes the greater effect (you tend to more see him recovering in the sun).

13. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,152 / 5 / -0
    Then again, when not under the influence of kryptonite it's easy-peasy to fly towards the sun and regenerate his power.

14. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +332 / 2 / -1
    the next incarnation of solar-power.... really, he should be green like the hulk: chlorophyll you know... it converts sunlight into energy :D

Personally, I'd like to see Superman have some kind of internal struggle in the sequel... the best heroes defeat the villains within themselves. For Superman that would be a worthy challenge! :)

15. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,152 / 5 / -0
    I think they've done that in Superman III. I'm not sure if Richard Prior's character produced red kryptonite, but it was something in that area, cause it almost had the same effect. Maybe they should show a really bad struggle with just Superman thinking back of killing Zod and how it frightens him in being a hero in case he kills someone else. He just has to learn that he can still be a hero without killing, so in a way conquer his own fear.

16. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -0
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169590/

This movie did a pretty good job of having a Superman/Batman teamup. As did the Justice League animated premier movie, and all the crossovers between the shows that happened before. As for a fight between the two people usually point to the Dark Knight returns, apparently forgetting that before that fight Superman had just been hit by a nuke, and Batman Hush. Nevertheless Batman vs Superman will not be the central conflict of the movie, I guarantee it. I'm also willing to guarantee that they'll start out at odds and end up teaming up to defeat some other enemy.

Possible enemies that would require skills from both of them:
    Metallo
    Despero
    Some sort of Vandal Savage or Ras al Ghul Scheme involving someone who could trade punches with Superman
    Brainiac
    Doctor Destiny(more unlikely than others for various reasons)
    Felix Faust(OR forgot to mention Superman's weakness to magic)

There are plenty of other possibilities, but those are the ones I see being interesting and not just a rehash of the afore mentioned animated crossovers.

17. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +116 / 2 / -3
    Ben Affleck Cast as Batman.

Truth to be told, could be worst, I am just not sure he can pull off batman...

18. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +319 / 2 / -0
    Re: Ben Affleck Cast as Batman.

... could be worse than what?

Not too stoked about this... Of course, Dark Knight never was to be the last of Batman on the silver screen. But, to be honest? Affleck would make a better Boy Wonder...

19. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0

lol tur

20. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +318 / 4 / -0

Couldn't agree more Tur but who knows, maybe it could work. He might surprise us.
    Still can't help but think this is a very strange choice. Perhaps he paid for the role lol. Money talks.