Male Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Sorcha, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Originally we were living past a thousand. After evil came into the world, along with it came disease, hence the not living past 40ish. If you notice in the Bible, the ages generally decrease as the generations pass. And the important part of us is immortal :)

2. Arwen

Arwen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Do you really believe that? Years were not the same as they are now, back then...

I dont know why I even bother..

3. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Oh, now I know what what LAdy GW was saying.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Ha, reminds me of a Conan O'Brien skit series called "In the Year 2000." One of them was "In the year 2000, due to advances in medical technology, men will be able to carry a baby to term inside their bodies. However, all the men will die in childbirth, as they don't have (proper anatomical term)."

My first response was "Eew, weird." Closely followed by "But really, what's the big deal?" I can't think of any guy that I know wanting to have a baby, and I really can't see guys doing it for a laugh or on a whim. I imagine if it happened it would be in very rare cases where the female is incapable of carrying a child. It is substantially more "unnatural" than regular IVF or hormone therapy for women, because instead of aiding a suitable but weak body to carry a baby, you're enabling a totally non-designed body to do a totally foreign task. But if you hate this idea so much and insist that god runs the show in every aspect of human life, why aren't you also against hormone therapy and IVF and tampering with a female body that god must have deemed unworthy to carry children? Isn't IVF going against god's will?
    But enough on the religion stuff.....

I certainly can't see it affecting the status or modern societal definition of "woman." My housemate has man-boobies but he's not a woman. He's just got man-boobs.

I'm surprised no one's brought up the union (no pun intended) of 2 controversial topics - gay marriages, and gays raising children. I don't have a problem with either, but can you imagine the uproar if you turn the news on one night, and there's a story about a gay couple and one of them is pregnant? Woo hoo hoo, that would bring criticism from just about every conservative on the planet! :) If you had a whole bunch of pre-printed "ABOMINATION!!!" placards for sale, you'd make a fortune lol

5. havelockploz

havelockploz With a preliminary 'P'

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I originally thought "Oh dear, not cool!" when I heard about this, but now I think that, although I still hate the idea, it is not so bad.

The only time I could see it happening is if the woman was infertile (as has been said) or in gay couples. I, too was a bit surprised that the topic of gay couples had not been brought up, but that is getting a bit off-topic. I'd just like to say that that is how I can see this occuring, through gay couples, and I guess that would open up a whole new can of worms.

Sorcha - let me get this straight. According to you, Genesis is totally true and evolution is a lie. So is the big bang etc. etc. etc...?

6. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm not bringing god into my opinions here. I don't belevie everything in the bible.

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Actually I think the issue of gay men being able to bear their own children is very closely linked to this topic and I'd love to hear some more people's views on it. Once the technology becomes available, it's only a matter of when, not if, it happens. Thoughts/opinions/feelings anyone?

But please don't prompt more religious questions in a non-religious debate thread. Inevitably religious people will put forth their religious views on a topic, just as my non-religious background colours my views. But please try and steer clear of asking a pointedly religious question in a non-specifically religious thread.

8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    TMI. :rolleyes: Now I gotta get that picture out of my head...

Truthfully, my original opinion was this is most likely something a gay couple would do. But I thought it was best (considering the religiousness of many arguments here) not to bring it up til somebody else did. Most like wouldn't be infertile couples using this but gay couples. Makes perfect sense, they wouldn't have to adopt or find a surrogate, just find an egg donor. The majority of heterosexual couples would be more comfortable hiring a female surrogate, if they could afford it. In fact, the only males I would consider willing to even consider this would be a homosexual male. Fact it, most guys would be completely freaked out by the idea.

I have no issue about a homosexual male or any other man willing to attempt carrying a baby. Of course, I'm rather liberal and think consenting adults should be able to do whatever they chose to their own bodies. So long as they're not harming others.

9. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Okay, I have explained my opinion but I'll think I'll just clear mine up: Yes, I think a pregnant man is pretty messed up. But would I be one of those people who walk on the street with a picket sign yelling "Ban Male prenancy!" ? No. I'm not going to freak out if a man does that. I'm not going to go up and protest it. It's not worth good time. Do think it's completely normal? No. I'm neutral in this matter. I mean usally I'm on Science's side when it comes to matters like this over the bible.

10. Kal-EL

Kal-EL New Supes costume sucks

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    *giggle* Sometimes its hard to not bother...

11. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Do I believe what? Bother with what? Sorry this is so late, haven't been really keeping up with this thread...

12. Kal-EL

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think Arwen was referring to the comment you made about living for a thousand years at some point in history, and she was curious as to whether or not you actually believed it.
    And she meant bothering with trying to discuss what looks like a topic with religious implications which seems inevitable to lead to everyone else being wrong.

13. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Oh, alright, thanks. Yes I do. And it does kinda seem that everything ends up coming down to religion....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  14. Kal-EL

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I believe in evolution. I hope that someday, we as humans, can evolve to live very long lives, but i dont think we've done it in the past, we're a very young species, evolutionarily speaking of course.

Speaking of evolution, I think that many years down the line men will naturally evolve to be able to naturally have children. I think anything is possible in nature if the need arises.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  15. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Well, it seems to me...and I'm not sure my facts are right, so feel free to correct me :D...but it seems we are buying ourselves a oneway ticket to SHORTER lifespans, rather than longer. If we didn't have the drugs, like antibiotics and such, barely anyone would live for long. Our immune systems are weaker because of this. And the weak are living to reproduce, which throws off evolution...survival of the fittest. No, I'm not saying anything like kill of the weak ones or anything, but I'm looking at the human as a species. And we're not doing what's best for the species, but I'm pretty sure that would be a bad idea...hope some of that made sense...although its...completely off topic...whoooops :D

Meh, and to think I want to be a doctor :p

16. Kal-EL

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Interesting perspective. It's worth talking about sometime, not really on-topic here.

17. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. But hopefully the need for male procreation will never arise...

18. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Errr... uhhh.. No comment. :duh:

• Like Like x 1
  19. jake1964

jake1964 Old enough to be your dad

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    Did she just say "arise", in reference to males and procreation? :p

• Like Like x 1