Male Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Sorcha, Sep 9, 2004.

1. jake1964

jake1964 Old enough to be your dad

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    My great-grandmother used to say; "If men had the babies, there would only be one child to a family.". :p

2. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I know I wouldn't :D
    I just don't find it normal for a man to be pregnent. It's just not right! And crazy.

3. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I see no problem with it at all. I would not choose to have this procedure personally, but if a Male wishes to give birth to his own child, I will support them. Everyone should have the freedom to be entitled to experience what is realistically possible, and evidently, Male's becoming pregnant is now possible. Of course, I would like to learn more about this topic, as this is the first time I have heard of it.

No one is playing 'God', we are just altering how nature originally made us. And good ol God shouldn't even come into this discussion, IMO. Unless you can find a Bible quote that say's Men who give birth will go to hell....:rolleyes:

4. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    I think that it is the right that make us a women! even with the stuff that nikk was talking about on how a lot of wemon can not have kids, it is still part of what makes us a women. adn I do not think eeewww I just thenk that it is wroung!

5. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Well, Lady, are you saying that barren women are no longer women because they can't have kids?

Radagast, I see what you're saying, but God does play a part in this. There's a reason he made nature to work the way it does. Doing this goes against nature, and might cause repercussions that we can't see yet.

Plus, there are homeless children in all sorts of countries and it's rather selfish to spend all that money to reproduce when really we should be taking care of the children already alive.

6. Draconis

Draconis Dragon Kin Mage

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Very true. I think that it should go Natural atempt, try to get a kid that already exists, THEN do this as a very last option.

7. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    you did not get what i said I said....

I think that it is the right that make us a women! even with the stuff that nikk was talking about on how a lot of women can not have kids, it is still part of what makes us a women.

meaning just having the body parts is what makes us a women, not just being abele to give birth to the kid.

8. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Scorcha, man has surpassed nature and God. We are yet to discover how to controll the weather and such, but I bet you soon we will. Man is heading in that direction. But I still think it's pretty messed up for a male to have children. I don't agree with it.

9. darkonesluck

darkonesluck New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Actually I think this is a great idea. I personally wouldn't like it and would more than likely never get pregnant, but this does provide a lot of alternatives and solutions for people.

For example, if a husband is a stay at home or does not have a full time job and the mother does, the father could "become" pregnant and the mother would not have to take maternaty leave since it's all screwed up in the USA anyway. The mother could continue to work.

And, why not? Just because it's "weird?"

10. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Your assuming that God exists. Unless you have proof of this, I think it's safe to say that believing that God created Nature is just that, belief. And reason's with no evidence is no way to develop logical decisions.

If you go on the basis that everything new may have repercussions, thus shouldn't be explored, your going to get no where in life. Everything new carries the risk of having set-backs, but has that stopped us before? Don't think so.

11. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I like the general idea that about everyone goes eeewwwww, or whatever the right letter combination may be. I do like it that we are so bound by the notion that women get kids and men don't. I'd say be a bit more open minded. It just takes getting used to, just like baby out of a test tube. Personally, I find this much less offensive then for instance cloning, apart from the fact that cloning is a very unsafe technique. Maybe it's comparable to that Italian doctor (what's-his-name) who is speciallised in weird IVF conditions, like the 50-60 year old women who got a baby due to his help. That is equally unnatural, and possibly even more dangerous then male pregnancy.

Oh, for you guys who are planning to make the trip to the gineacologist... This technique is EXTREMELY painfull. The embryo will be inserted in the peritoneal cavity, and that is not the place you want that 10 pound kid kicking about. It would probably feel as if you are kicked in the stomach... for about 3 months continually!

12. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    s'ok. I think the world has been populated with enough 'lil Skyanides. :p

I agree with you, Turambar. Most people are saying it's wrong "because it's gross" Well, eating bugs is gross. Doesn't mean there aren't people in the world who see no problems with that. Morality and cultural tabboos are subjective.

I personally don't see any reason this would be different that any test-tube pregnancy. While it would involve taking of hormones and a c-section delivery. Many women with problems have to do both in order to sustain a pregnancy. As far as having children being the defining factor of womanhood, that's an antiquated thought where all women were good for is bearing children. An occasional (and I'd suspect darn occasional) man having a baby would do nothing to harm the status of women.

Adopting the children already existing in the world is a difficult matter. For anyone who's not aware, foreign adoptions are costly. Besides, agency fees to locate the child, there are fees for home visits, various amounts to be paid to officials in the country you're visiting, airfare to and from that country, time that needs to be spent in the country you're adopting from, amongst other expenses. A minumum amount would be around $20,000 from one of the more liberal countries allowing adoptions. Some countries will not allow women under a certain age to adopt, people who already have a child and anyone with even a minor criminal incident in their background. Healthy babies born in the US have no trouble with being adopted. If you have the money once again to finance it and the patience to wait on a list for several years. Needless to say, advanced fertility techiniques may be some couple's choice for having a child.

Finally, sometimes science just likes to see what can be done for the sheer joy of it. Science is about discovery, not always practicality.

13. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm not the one going 'eeeewwwwwwwww' I'm the one saying I just don't feel that it's right to for a man to have a child. Which is weird since I don't have much against gay marrige. You'd think that if I thought one was right I'd think the other was right. But if that man wants to have a child, then they can go ahead. Not harming me. I just don't think it's right. That's all. But of course as Nienor pointed out that what man would want to have a child? Not many.

14. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Amen, Nik!

15. DarkElv22-JJ

DarkElv22-JJ Your opponent

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    men having children? dude that is like an abomination. hell no i dont support that crap. god made women have the children, keep it that way!!!!

16. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    :stupid: :stupid: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :stupid: :stupid:

17. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  18. DarkElv22-JJ

DarkElv22-JJ Your opponent

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    These kind of remarks will not be tolerated. This is your only warning.

Nienor
    TFF Admin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2004
  19. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Watch it DarkElv22-JJ.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and everyone is allowed to voice their opinion.

20. PenguinofDeath

PenguinofDeath The name says it all.

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I have no problem with men having kids should they really want to...but I'd suggest adopting really to any man who wanted to have a kid of their own

Darky...if you assume God made us, then originally we weren't living past 30-40 years? Was that wrong cause he made us to live longer? Or is living longer than that wrong? *shrugs* That's what it seems like you're saying to me.