Magic Systems

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Dragonbane, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Aspholessaria

Aspholessaria New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :bafly:In one of my worlds, magic is operated by manipulating 'mana' that flows invisibly round the world, a bit like rivers. In places it wells up to the surface, and in others sinks down. Where there is water, it goes down deep,
    Some places the mana flows join, and at these 'nodes' as they are called, magic is stronger.
    There are 5 known schools of magic, although there is a theory that a sixth exists. They are, Matter, Energy, Spirit, Mind and Time.
    In another world in a yet unpublished book, magic can only be used in ggems imbued with it by a magician.

2. Aspholessaria

Aspholessaria New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3. Aspholessaria

Aspholessaria New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What a superb system. I'm most impressed. I wish I'd thought of it!

4. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I always thought it should be connected to confidence. Say you start with beginner's luck, then if by chance the trick/spell fails, then your chances of pulling off another trick/spell goes down, until you finally succeed again, then your chances start to go up again.

5. Aspholessaria

Aspholessaria New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Orkin, my antagonist in the series I'm writing discovered his affinity for magic because of taunting by other children. He grew angry and cast a spell at them. since the use of magic was banned at this time, you can imagine the trouble that caused! However, that's in the backstory that I intend to publish at some time.:wolf:

6. Heatman81

Heatman81 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    There are many different variables to consider when dealing with magic which is what makes it so hard to do. There are many different branches of magic that need different means to achieve such as blood magic, elemental, witchcraft, etc. Also, it is another thing to consider before you are putting magic into a story how religion fits into how magic is used. It is not necessary to consider religion, but it adds more depth. Some magic relies on it, and some magic ignores it.
    For example, magic in video games often relies on mana to cast spells, while if prayer was used, a priest would not need mana, just faith to cast magic.
    Also,

7. Heatman81

Heatman81 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1
    Magic that requires faith in a god or gods should not involve destruction magic, or any magic that involves hurting. It should purely involve cleansing and healing
    Although all magic is unpredictable, magic that requires religion would also be much more unpredictable than magic without reliance on a god or gods

8. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Wether divine magic is destructive or not should depend on the gods involved. I am certainly fine if Árelor, Lord of Revenge, grants destructive spells to His worshippers.

Divine magic that is more unpredictable than arcane magic is mostly against the most established clichés in fantasy. Divine magic is casted by the gods through a worshipper, and since it is guided by a superior power, it is less likely to backfire. For some reason (usually game balance in RPGs) it is also less spectacular magic. Arcane magic is usually awesome but can turn you inside out, because you are dealling with the raw fabric of reality with nothing but your feeble mortal will.

9. Heatman81

Heatman81 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

I agree with everything you have said, and I see that I have to be more clear. What I mean by more "unpredictable" is that magic derived from divines should sometimes not even amount to anything good or bad. Sometimes the god or gods just choose to ignore you, but I agree that divine magic should be more predictable in that it has almost no chance to backfire.

And I agree that divine magic from evil gods can be destructive