Macs vs. PCs

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Anduril, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    ANNOUNCEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE MAC

The third fastest computer in the world is a computer in Virginia made up of dozens of G5 chips.

2. Nerdanel

Nerdanel [...The Wise...]

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anduril makes a good point about computers.

I've grown up having the most advanced PC our family could buy, so I've always been fairly up to date on new technology.

But it's WAAAY different from the Apple IIGS I learned to type on in school.
    Or the old macs I used in middle school that looked like shoeboxes turned on their end.

The thing is, that kids in school should learn to use both, so that they'll have a good foundation for later on. (My high school ONLY had PCs, my college had an average of 2 Mac Labs to every PC lab.)

When I worked at different college offices (registrar, health services, etc.) for work study ALL those departments used Macs.
    I had to cope.

You never know WHAT a company will have. Many have PCs, but many also have Macs ONLY.

It's beneficial to learn ALL the tools of the trade. Not just the one you like the best.

I hate it though when people like Macs or PCs to the exclusion of the other. For example, rabid Mac lovers who shout about how PCs suck, or vice versa.

They're only limiting themselves by choosing to use one exclusively. A job you're up for won't care if Macs are better for graphic design and you use them out of loyalty to what you grew up with and you hate PCs etc. if they're looking for someone who needs to know the computer and their office only has PCs.
    There are too many people trained in both bases for them to find it worth their while to retrain you on a Mac.

3. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well, speaking of games only for PC, not true. Actually they also come out for the mac at the same time most of the time. Go to an apple store and you will see Halo, Medal of Honor, and even RotK. As for me, I like Macs. I think they are in general better than PCs.

4. Nerdanel

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're right about games, but there are some programs required for certain college courses that aren't made for macs and PCs...
    I had a friend who was an engineering major and had one of those little white ibooks (or whatever they're called)
    it was a good computer...but she couldn't get the software she needed for her engineering program.
    She had to run it on MY computer.

5. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Strange. There aren't many professional programs that won't run on macs.

But Ranger of Gondor is right. Mac gaming is getting better. Most of the big games have made it mac. Even RotK about which I wrote many email to Aspyr.

And I might add that I was pleased to find the big Apple Computer logo in The Two Towers credits.

6. Dystopia Eternal

Dystopia Eternal The Windbringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont like to shout/yell/flame but......LINUX RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use only the best:
    Linux for anything
    Mac for graphics
    Palms for portability
    Windows for solitaire

7. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Then why did you shout, yell, and flame? ;)

8. Dystopia Eternal

Dystopia Eternal The Windbringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Because, at the time, it felt necessary to me to vent my frustration and anger. IS THAT ALL RIGHT WITH YOU????? :D lol

9. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, I think that's applying more to kids who don't use the computer at home, and would be completely lost with either OS because of their lack of computer knowledge and skils.

10. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
  11. Nerdanel

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, in my house I'm going to do my best to make sure that the kids know how to run both a Mac AND a PC...

But of course, that'll be secondary to reading and writing and all that junk. ;)

12. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    He He, Yeah I have Known about the G5. Looks nice! But what I really want for the Mac OSX is the Panther upgrade. That looks cool!

13. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I am good with both computers. Do to most people in my area use Windows I kinda have to. But I think I am very good with. Still though I can operate even the hard drive stuff on the Mac with ease.

14. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Linkux is like the odd ball computer. It isn't used that much in house holds or work buildings like Mac and Windows. But oh well. I still like Mac the best.

15. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Cheers Ranger. One thing that is absolutely great about Panther is exposé. It is so cool. With the push of a button I can instantly see all my Photoshop, Safari, iTunes, and all my other windows in front of me.

16. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  17. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    As far as games coming out go the comment that said they come out at the same time was wrong. People waited for what over a year for Neverwinter Night to come out. Same goes for halo. Once the game comes out they begin to work on a mac port. Although I have played halo on the pc and the mac and the mac version is amazing. Anyways just to fill you in on the gaming aspect.

18. Tawnos

Tawnos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    being a computer geek and repair technician, I'm going to have to go with PC over macintosh. Apple has some great products, iPod comes to mind, but their OS and computer hardware are not.

The G5 was *not* the first 64 bit chip to market, that would be the itanium. If you're tlaking consumer market, then the athlon64 also came before the G5.

I use PCs running Linux for my server needs, and some of my desktop needs as well. For everything else, windows has the most available ways to get what I need done available.

19. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    What I thought was funny is that there was one guy who was quoted all over the internet. He wrote a huge article that I read on how Apple cheated the PC in the test between the Itanium and the G5. Later the DELL people came over and told him that he didn't know what he was talking about and that the G5 was faster than the Itanium. But the megahurtz battle is only a race. Apple announced last year that they will have 3 GHz chips out this summer so they are catching up. And there is no finish line. But like I've said before, my problem isn't PCs. Many of them are real good machines. It's windows I can't understand. Boy, how many times have I said this? Must be at least six.

Here are two articles that may be of some interest to you guys.

Here is an article on what an F.B.I. agent said about macs concerning security.
    http://theregister.com/content/55/35175.html

Here's an article about the Virginia Tech Supercomputer. (The third fastest supercomputer in the world comprised of G5 chips.)
    http://theregister.com/content/39/35182.html