Macs vs. PCs

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Anduril, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Erador

Erador Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    personally i prefer PC over mac
    although i dont care much for microsoft
    MAC can sometimes be wierd and i think that windows or Linux runs better on PC rather MACS of course i can be wrong, but as im getting a G5 soon i will be able to test
    also the PC im using is 2.8 ghz 140 gb hd
    nvdia gforce4 with all hat stuff 1012 ssd ram
    some cool stuff besides that
    but im looking forward to the g5

2. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Macs do not run Linux. They are not supposed to. They run Unix. I am running a G4 Titanium Power Book with 1024 ram and a 1ghz processor that blows the doors off of the mega Alien Ware I have sitting next to me. And it is a gaming machine. Macs are just more efficient at memory usage than PC's are.

3. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I hate to correct you Boomerang but Macs do run Linux. While they can only run Windows through an emulator like Virtual PC they do have a PowerPC version of Linux and if I am not mistaken they are making a version for the G5's as well.

Like I said I have two computers. My first is an iBook 800MHz G3 with 640 megs of RAM and a 32 megs of VRAM on a Radeon Mobility 7500. My (much faster) PC is a 2.4 GHz Celeron with 256 megs of RAM and 64 megs of VRAM on a Radeon 9000.

My favorite is the iBook because it just doesn't crash that often. Oh sure it crashes now and then but that's because I'm a 16 yr. old and even then it only crashes about once every two or three months. And my dad has had to restart his powerbook from a crash around three times since he bought it. My PC on the other hand crashes maybe once or twice a week.

4. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    The Mac OS is a Unix Based program. However Virtual PC for intents and purposes runs on Unix yet has Linux underlyings so it can run all the windows junk. And to further prove that they are Unix based Linux is what windows has its underpinnings in and why it is so open to viruses. There are roughly about 300 - 400 known Unix viruses.

5. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    To back my Unix Comment up even further.
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/reasons.html
    There you go. First thing says UNIX BASED.

6. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I never said Mac OS wasn't UNIX based. All I said was that there is a Linux version for Macs.

7. Boomer

Boomer BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    A linux what version?

8. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I guess I must be the oldtimer here. I started off with an old K-Pro. It has MS doss and only a mono chrome monitor. Then I moved up to a Commodore 64, then Commodore 128, then to a PC. I currently use a Dell 4600 series with a 60 gig hard and a Pentium 4 processor. I know it's not all that good. But it works. :D

9. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Well I'm on a real steep learning curve, This is the first computer I've ever used, I've only had it three months. It 's an iMAC, the one with the half round base and the screen that goes up and down and round and round. It has been pretty easy to get the basics down. My uncle got me onto a MAC cos he reckons PC's are crap, he fixes PC's but owns a few MACs. As far as games go I'll stick to my PS2.

10. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I read an article on a guy who fixes DELLs for a living but uses a Mac to fix them! In fact, one of his customers worked with a big office and told him they've almost completely switched to macs because the Dell fixer charges so much. Then he pulls out a powerbook and the guy says, "Hey everyone, the DELL guy uses a mac!"

Like I said I use a PC and an iBook and one day the screen went black on the PC. My dad and I were trying to figure out if maybe the monitor went out or if maybe the graphics card blew out. Then we found it was just a crash. We were so used to our macs never crashing on us that we laughed when the PC did.

11. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If the screen just went completely black, I really wonder if that's a hardware defect... O well, lol

It's a bit weird, since I have never had my PC crash on me; and, because of this, I don't really see a need to change to MAC. I don't exactly use low-end programs either, but I try to conserve my resources and to make sure I don't have spyware on my computer. I recommend that everyone with a PC gets Ad-aware or Spyware to make sure they don't have a ton of crap on their computer.

12. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any games on your computer? Because games are just hacks and mess up your computer. My dad keeps all games off his work station computer and never has any problems with it.

13. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    As long as I can remember, my family has owned PC's, not macs. I'm not in the generation of macs. I like PC's, I've heard good things about them, and not so great things about Mac's. I know there are programs that you can put on one that you can't put on the other, which isn't too fun, but that's life.

14. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Have you guys tried Apple's iTunes? It's a free MP3 player that is available for PCs and Macs.

15. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I prefer music match or winamp, lol. :) Quicktime has some perks, but it's mainly in the professional edition, which I don't have.

By the way, I have games on my computer, but only Cd-rom games such as Half Life, RTCW, etc. I don't just randomly download games from the internet. (Note, I was not joking about the Ad-aware, it really helps. :))

16. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Many people are saying that Apple has nailed the music market. The feature of the music store has made them tons of money. They make 30 cents on the dollar and considering they've sold over a million within the first three days of releasing it to PC that's $333,000.

17. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Didn't say it wasn't a bad product, but I still like my winamp...

18. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I've never used it so I can't compare it. I suppose it would be fun to be able use all those different skins.

19. Nerdanel

Nerdanel [...The Wise...]

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use a PC, but prefer a Mac.
    I like the interface, and the design of the Mac, but can't afford one.

Plus, I'm so used to PCs that I know how to operate them with ease. I can troubleshoot most problems I run into, but I can't do that with a Mac.

It's a learning process.
    After I'm married, and we need a new computer for the house (we each have our own laptops, but I see the necessity for a desktop in our future) I'm considering saving up for a Mac. It's good to be familiar with both, because you never know when you'll be offered a job in a Mac only office when you only know PC or vice versa. :)

20. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    For all I do, there isn't that much that I couldn't do on a PC. But now that I own a PC and Mac side by side, I still like that Mac more even though the PC is much faster.

But one thing that cracks me up is when people say, "Kids in the public school should use PCs since that is the prominent computer in most businesses." For those of you in business using PCs, how similar are they to the machines you learned about in school? And how different will the future PC machines be when I (being 16 now) am supporting myself?