luc's sigil...

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by shaiel, Jun 17, 2004.

1. shaiel

shaiel Chumai Tardaad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it seems like most people's sigils symbolize something. tigraine's (a woman's hand gripping a throny flower, iirc) represents the price she had to pay for rand, elayne's is a lily, which represents purity (and humility? ), gawyn's is a boar which represents bravery and the ability to fight. an acorn apparently symbolizes, among other things:

death is but the seed for new life
    linked to the egg except that while the egg is considered a feminine symbol, the acorn is generally looked upon as masculine
    potential
    hope
    that which starts very small and grows very big
    protection, life, immortality
    foretells sickness
    earth
    Zeus

any idea how these all apply to luc's destiny, whatever that is?

i will put my thoughts below...

death is but the seed for new life

the word seed makes me think of house mantear as bringing about rand. this seems to apply to tigraine more than luc, her having given birth to rand and died doing it. however, the death here could imply that luc wll die and give new life to someone? maybe this is rand. maybe this could be used to support the luc-will-be-rand's-blood-on-the-rocks theory...?

linked to the egg except that while the egg is considered a feminine symbol, the acorn is generally looked upon as masculine

again, this might show his connection with tigraine and the idea of house mantear playing a huge role in rand's existence. or maybe a connection to janduin (whom he killed), since janduin was rand's father and thus the masculine aspect of making a child....

potential

this could be taken two ways, one, that luc has a great destiny and will fulfill it and it will benefit the good guys or two, that luc HAD a lot of potential but isam has squandered it.

hope

this seems more optimistic. perhaps, again, luc will give the world hope by fulfilling his destiny. could have a connection with elaida's foretelling about the key to winning the LB coming from the royal line of andor (but a case could be made for several other people, especially rand, as well).

that which starts very small and grows very big

well, we never observed luc as a child, so we don't know if he was a lousy kid who just happened to be destined for great things. but when we first see him in the story he is a major jerk and so perhaps this might imply that his character develops for good later on in the story.

protection, life, immortality

protecting whom? andor? rand? galad? the world? already addressed the life thing, sort of. immortality - implying that he will do something great? on the other hand, he could become an infamous bad guy known as the person who almost lost the LB for the light, etc. and be immortalized that way. or perhaps this is simply telling us that he'll survive the last battle, whatever role he plays there.

foretells sickness

this seems to be more sinister. it implys that he will do something destructive, not constructive, as most of the other symbolisms do.

earth

no idea about this one. it's a stretch, but things grow from the earth, so another connection with rand coming about because of house mantear?

Zeus

zeus is the greek version of jupiter, who seems to be rand, in the romance department, at least. see link.

anyway, that's all i have to say.

link: http://www.arkane-systems.net/faqs/WOTFAQ/3_sources/3.03_greek.html

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Wow, i never thought as Slayer becoming a good guy, that would be so cool ! The best good guys are always the badass ones !

Good theory though, i noticed something similiar on WOTmania too..... ;)

3. shaiel

shaiel Chumai Tardaad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ;) something similar? it's the exact same message. :p i'm mo44 over there, and shaiel at DM.

4. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I know, did you not see the winking smiley, lol.

5. shaiel

shaiel Chumai Tardaad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    now i see the winking smiley. wink wink wink. ;)

why am i getting so few replies to this? :(

6. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    It's only been up one day (at this point in time) and there are probably only 5 people who continously post in the WoT section, so just give it a while.

And on the acorn subject, it could just as easily represent something entirely different, Jordan seems to have encompassed all different religions and cultures for his world, and while you may be right, there are probably many other things the acorn could represent that we don't know of.

I guess we'll all have to just RAFO.

7. GameMaster

GameMaster I's all about the Game!

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It all depends on the culture really. A boar in midleeastern culture would symbolize something dirty and not healthy I guess.

RJ has jumbled so many cultures, myths, histories together that he has made his own, totally different come true.

By the way, was that a sigil of Luc before he became Slayer? What about Isam?

8. shaiel

shaiel Chumai Tardaad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, that was luc before slayer came about. i don't think we know what isam's sigil was, or if slayer uses a sigil now. (although luc does use a wolfhead pommel on his sword, iirc.) i will check.