LOTR Weapons & Warfare by Chris Smith

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Mububban, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    224 pages, 1000 photos, pictures and maps. This book is stunning and a must for all fans of the movies, and the books as well.

Firstly, a little about me. I'm a mad keen fan of the LOTR movies, especially the weapons and armour. I'm a medieval re-enactor so the detail and actual practical designs of everything appeal to me. I've read the LOTR trilogy a few times but don't consider myself a book expert, although I will freely admit to being obsessed with the movies :) I haven't read the Silmarillon so only know little bits and pieces of the huge history of Middle Earth.

Anyway, onto the book. It's written from the point of view of a scholar studying Middle Earth. It details all the cultures and characters in the movies (Elves, Noldor, Numenorians, Gondorian, Dwarves, Hobbits, Orcs & all the bad guys), and has wonderfully detailed photos and design sketches of all the gear in question. Study the pictures really closely and you will be stunned at the level of detail that has gone into every single shield, tunic, buckle, bracer and weapon that WETA made.

It also incorporates maps that show the battle plans for the movies in the triology, and the way they progressed from start to finish.

Which leads me to a WARNING - as this book includes information from the as of yet unreleased Return of the King movie, it includes WHOPPING HUGE MASSIVE SPOILERS. So be warned. I love spoilers, but if you don't, buy the book but don't read it until after the movie opens :)

A hugely interesting and informative part of the book is the way it incorporates information from the Silmarillon and the history of Middle Earth, usually in the opening paragraph of each culture/character section. I learnt about the first alliances of Men and Elves, how it extended into the final War of the Ring, how Sauron insidiously brought down ancient civilisations, how the Elves were almost destroyed - all this and more fascinating information is inserted so smoothly that it never detracts from wanting to gawk at the pretty pictures, but beautifully enhances your appreciation of the detail WETA put into everything, and why they designed things the way they did.
    The information is detailed but never dry and boring. But nor is it "LOTR for Dummies." Chris Smith has done a wonderful (and huge) job with this book.

Many of the actual images used in the book come directly from the still photo galleries on the extended FOTR DVD, but there are lots of unseen pictures too.

As I said, this book is a MUST for any fan of the LOTR movies. It will give you an enormous insight into the weapons & armour used in the movies, as well as incorporating a "95% fat free Silmarillon-Lite" history of the weapons & the cultures from Tolkien's universe. So stop reading this review and GO BUY IT!!! :)

Mububban

2. Lainovion

Lainovion Royal Guard of Gil-Galad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I purchased the book Saturday. I had noticed the book refereneced on the forum. I must say, I have read the first few pages, and I cant wait to continue , it is indeed more than a reference, it is as good as the books themselves !

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like the way it made it into a history, because it takes away from the fantasy of LOTR.

4. HaldirofLorien

HaldirofLorien Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    A fantastic book , I really liked the section about the last alliance , and the description of the different types of armour and weapons.

5. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i need to ask a favor from someone who owns the book. could they scan the section on elendil and send me the pics? i am very interested in recreating his armor and i need some sources to go from.