LOTR-The Musical!

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Aragorn Elessar, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I read about this from the Council of Elrond site, UK newspaper the Telegraph reports that The Lord of the Rings will be made into a 3 1/2 hours long musical, which will be the most expensive ever staged on the West End. £8 million to stage, £1.5 more than the current most expensive one, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I saw this with the original cast, wonderful wonderful musical, if any of you should go by London, be sure to go see it). It'll have a cast of about 50.

Just like the films, the Tolkien's heirs and estate will not have control over the stage version (I don't really know if they were consulted by PJ & Co, any one knows? And did they get any money from New Line? You can see the Saul Zaentz disclaimer on all official LOTR-related sites and products), because Tolkien sold the rights for both film and stage long ago:

"Last year, Mr Wallace was given permission to produce the musical by Saul Zaentz, the producer of such films as The English Patient and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, who owns the stage rights.

"Tolkien's heirs and literary estate have no artistic control over the musical and will get no money from it. In 1969, Tolkien sold his film and stage rights for £500,000."

Also of interest, perphaps because of the rights issue (my guess), they won't use any original phrases or poems from the book:

"Some of the songs will be performed in Elvish, the mythical language invented by Tolkien, but most will be sung in English. The musical will not, however, be using any of the lyrics written in poems and verse in the books."

Here's the link to the Telegraph article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...sSheet=/portal/2004/03/14/ixportal.html<br />

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  2. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    That's too weird. It would be interesting to watch though. It's also kind of funny because my sisters and I used to have the joke about what we called "The Silmarillion: The Musical".

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That sounds like crap, I am already mad at PJ for some of the stuff he did, this is just an outright abomination!

4. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hm... imagine... Sauron or the Witchking singing and dancing...

Hehe, I don't think they'll do that though, there'd be other ways the do the treatment of those darker characters I guess

5. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    dudes if you guys thtink that a musical is bad, i heard that LOTR will go on ice. What the heck is PJ thinking. He already has 6 billions dollaars of my money.

-dt

6. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Does PJ actually have anything to do with that on ice thing? I'd doubt that...? I suppose it's just Saul Zaentz that's giving out all these studpid licenses?

7. *elwen*

*elwen* New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    dun think PJ has anything to do with those musical/ice things. he's only responsible for the movie..
    "Sauron or the Witchking singing and dancing..." -- definitely not very rite...

8. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's right, he'll just pocket more dough through the DVDs and all the other movie tie-in merchandize... but I'll happily fork over the $$$ for the EE DVD...