Lost faith in Salvatore...

Discussion in 'Forgotten Realms' started by StarTrooper3000, Jan 23, 2007.

1. rhapsody of serendai

rhapsody of serendai Thorn's Lover

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    I can't help it, I'm drawn to spoilers then I kick myself hard afterwards

So Entreri obviously survives the fall from the cliff when Regis cuts him free off his bat wings???? Doesn't anyone ever die in Salv's world?

2. Matrim Cuathon

Matrim Cuathon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. watermaid

watermaid water dragon rider

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    omg i had no idea what spoiler ment. :( oh well you warned me. i am about to restart the crystal shard. please tell me where and when did drizzit become a ranger?????? this was not mentioned in homeland, exile or sojorn. help

4. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I don't remember which book it was, or all the details, but when he first comes to the surface he meets someone, an elf I think, who lives alone and trains Drizzt in a lot of stuff.

Mathius

5. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    The old man who trains him as a ranger is Montolio

6. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    *nodnod* He doesn't get along perfectly with Drizzt at first, and Drizzt doesn't trust him or something, but Guenhwyvar does, so Drizzt reluctantly sticks around and learns what old man Montolio is all about.

7. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Drizzt didn't call him Montolio though - he had a nickname, something like Monty - anyone remember?

8. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I'm reading "Promise of the Witch-King" I think, and I'm really starting to get annoyed with Salvatore's need to describe every move in a fight. First off, he doesn't really make me visualize it in my head. He actually slows down my reading because I have to sit and figure out what he's trying to describe. Mostly I just skim over it.

Does the guy think he's some kind of expert on medieval swordplay or something?

Mathius

9. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I always thought Salvatore's books were more like the Play by Play of a D&D session than anything else. He is definitely on the lower tiers of fantasy writers as far as I'm concerned.

10. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    OK please put me out of my misery someone - with Wulfgar out of the way, are Drizzt and Cattie-brie going to get together? The romantic slush every now and again is doing my head in and I need to know if it's going to get worse!

11. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Ok, better decide if this is what you really want first.......

SPOILERS!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! SPOILERS!

Ok, I'll give you a rough summary of what I know, based on what I've pieced together. I haven't read ALL the books, but the later ones do summarize what happens in the novels that I missed.

Wulfgar and Cattie-brie are both adopted by Bruener, Cattie-brie as a young child, Wulfgar as a young teenager. They develop a relationship that later turns into an engagement. But it's later speculated by Drizzt that this is due largely to the fact that because they are both the same age, and in the same group, it becomes a relationship based moreso on what is available....

In any case, Wulfgar is believed to be slain in battle, but is in fact captured by a demon, I believe Erratu or something like that. Wulfgar is tormented by the demon until later he either is rescued, or escapes, I don't know which. The companions become reunited, but Wulfgar is still haunted by the past.

I forget what happens exactly, but Wulfgar and Cattie-brie, while on a mission have sex, but during the throes of passion, Wulfgar freaks out, something to do with his imprisonment by the demon, something he remembers or some such and the end result is he ends up tearing himself apart from Cattie-brie and I think he even smacks her across the face.

He flees the group or maybe they send him away, I forget which, and wanders off on his own, ending up in Luskan, where after a series of adventures, he ends up with an adopted kid and a wife (who is not the child's real mother).

Cattie-brie and Drizzt develope a relationship in the wake of Wulfgar's absence. I believe it is in "Sea of Swords" where Bruener notices the development, and Cattie-brie finally breaks down and tells Drizzt something to the effect of, "When will you ever learn to just shut up and kiss me." Or something very close to that.

When Wulfgar rejoins them, at first he is surprised, and Drizzt is nervous, thinking that Wulfgar and Cattie-brie will get together (same book, btw), but Wulgar accepts it, because he now has his own wife, etc.

Later on his wife gets jealous(she sees Wulfgar's admiration and obvious comradre and friendship with Cattie-brie and mistakenly believes that there's something going on there), and it leads to her running off and getting killed. Drizzt gets separated from the group during a large scale war with Orcs, and Cattie-brie has doubts that he is even alive, while Drizzt meanwhile isn't sure if his friends are alive. But Drizzt made a committment to someone (I think to find Wulfgar's wife and/or child), so when they are reunited, Cattie-brie insists that he leaves her again until he finds what he is looking for.

But they are in effect "together" even though Cattie-brie will most likely die long long before Drizzt.

And that's a fairly rough summary of the whole Wulfgar, Cattie-brie, Drizzt cycle of love. :eek:

You asked for it.

Mathius

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  12. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Ok I know I asked for it but I actually couldn't bring myself to read your spoilers mathius - sorry for putting you to the trouble!

13. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Ok, I went back and looked for this.. It IS in Sojourn.

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!

He tried to become accepted at the Thistledown farm, right after leaving the Underdark but couldn't speak the language of humans, and was misunderstood as an enemy. Some kind of demon thing called a barghest masquaded as Drizzt and killed the whole Thistledown clan.

Drizzt was blamed, and while he went and destroyed both barghest and their minions, he was later hunted down by a Ranger from Sundabar named Dove.

However, Dove learned that Drizzt wasn't a threat, and while they stopped pursuing him (except for Roddy), Drizzt still decided to leave, because he felt he was partially responsible for the farmhands dying.

He ends up wintering with Bluster the bear, and later meets Montolio, otherwise known as Mooshie. Montolio is a blind ranger, and spends a year and a half (I'm estimating as best I can) teaching Drizzt the ways of Mielikki and how to be a ranger. He also teaches Drizzt common language. Mooshie dies of old age, and Drizzt spends another season there in the grove, before leaving and eventually heading to Ten-Towns, following the way of the ranger and the ways of Mielikki.

Mathius

14. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    To tell you the truth I find the Drizzt books very interesting because there are many things happening and you don't expect some stuff to happen.

*SPOILERS*

Come on don't tell me that you were expecting the House Do'Urden to be destroyed so soon or Zaknafein to die.What happens to Drizzt and his very good friends is another thing.But the plot is not predictable or boring in his books.

15. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Don't know but it kinda get boring to me after the Entreri series...

The last 3 books were very interesting although...

16. sepi_1982

sepi_1982 the French Fantasy Guy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Yes i have read the whole drizzt Saga and i think it is really good.
    The downside is that the heroes are kind of invincible. Drizzt is described as "too fast" for any monsters he meets. Wulfgar and cattie-brie are always in the middle of a huge battle, they killed monsters 20 to one, come on...
    By the way, are there some other books about Drizzt after the Hunter´s blade trilogy?

I am now reading the cleric quintet, lets see ;)
    regardsseb

17. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Cleric Quintet is very good - you'll like it!

18. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like it :D