Lost faith in Salvatore...

Discussion in 'Forgotten Realms' started by StarTrooper3000, Jan 23, 2007.

1. StarTrooper3000

StarTrooper3000 Realm Warrior

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have yet to read the latest book. However, I have read all the others.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

SPOILERS FOLLOW

SPOILERS FOLLOW

I was very disappointed to see Bruenor live through his near-death experience. I used to think the Drizzt series was the best thing I'd ever read...till I started thinking about things (particularly after I read some George RR Martin) and I started up the last trilogy. It is just too...perfect. Like, you don't fear for the characters or think "so and so might not make it! i wanna keep reading." Has anyone else noticed this? Like, the story just keeps dragging on and nothing really happens. It might help if Drizzt and Catti Brie finally got together...

2. comfan

comfan New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    It may have something to do with what Wizards of The Coast wants also. Since he his writing about THe Forgotten Realms" they may have some say about what goes into to the books.

3. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

I THOROUGHLY disagree. In fact, what you have described as beeing absent the series is exactly what I have always liked about it (though the final trilogy left a mighty cliff-hanger). The characters never face enemies that present them with no challenge, and so you never quite know who's going to get mortally wounded, killed, etc.... If you remember, Wulfgar stayed "dead" for a very long time, and the reader had to go on to several subsequent books to find that would be.......well, you know.

4. StarTrooper3000

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I like what he did with Wulfgar, but I just get tired of it sometimes. Maybe Drizzt could lose a finger or something you know? Instead of the hollywood-style close calls he runs into all the time. The whole Bruenor thing was what really threw me off the edge. I absolutely adore Salvatore's work in the Forgotten Realms, its just that that was unnecessary to bring him back. Every one lives through everything...maybe Regis could lose a hand for stealing something. Maybe someone could get some lasting damage... Or a major villan could finally be totally defeated. I haven't got a clue where they left off with Matron Malice since it has been so long, but I don't remember her dying. Anyway, I am just rambling now. I only think Salvatore is due for some kind of a change in his books, something rather major? He's put out like 15 of them already...

5. Xeiphyr

Xeiphyr AKG

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    malice died cause briza killed her at the end of Exile. then house baenre killed house do'urden. thats what happened there. and i agree that its starting to be a dragin along kind of story. something needs to happen. something new. like drizzt needs to be given a choice at one point. an absolute choice. say, bruenors life or wulfgars, and he has to choose one, but the other will die and theres no way to save both. there needs to be mortality i guess. like yall have been sayin.

6. StarTrooper3000

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the refresher. Yeah, draging on is the phrase I was looking for to describe the series. An absolute choice would be a great thing. How about a child somewhere? Besides Wulfgar's (which I just remembered after I typed that line :) ) Or maybe lose a forest of elves? Something spicy, that's all I'm asking for.

7. Apollion

Apollion King Arthur Geek

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I haven't lost faith in Salvatore, but I have nearly read all the Drizzt books(except Path of Darkness). I think when Wulfgar "died", he should have stayed dead. There's nothing worse than having someone die in one trilogy and reappearing again in a new one. Up until Icewind Dale trilogy, all the Drizzt books were fine. But the characters' emotions just seem to drag on forever(Drizzt not being able to fully accept his emotions for Catti-brie, and the troubled emotions of Wulfgar) and they always seem to stay that way. I think RAS should take a break from FR books for a while. Maybe he should start something completely new and different.

8. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You know, as mush as I grieve over the death of beloved characters, I know that you guys are absolutely right. What happened with Wulfgar was....ok I guess, but the whole Bruenor thing was totally uncalled for.

This is also a problem that I've noticed with books where magic abilities are ubiquitous. Magic solves so many of the problems that usually make a story worth crying about. Terminal illness? Just a hop, skip, and a spell out of that one. Or how about mortal injuries? No problem, apparently. Honestly now, if J.K. Rowling can get away with killing off two or three characters, I think Salvatore's much more mature audience can handle the emotional duress. The only problem with the idea of Wulfgar having died is that his death would have been in vain, since he didn't really need to sacrifice himself for Cattie-Bri, who likely would have survived the scenario anyway. Bruenor was the wrong character to die though, because he has plot responsibilities (leading his clan to victory or whatever against the orc hordes). Ugh, what a mess. I guess that's what happens when you write too many books.

9. StarTrooper3000

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    YES! Such a wide variety of plot lines could be opened up if he were no longer king. Just think...

10. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but i personally found Bruenor~Regis dialogs the most entertaining :D

So I'm kinda glad Bruenor survived, although he shouldn't have...

11. rhapsody of serendai

rhapsody of serendai Thorn's Lover

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    What about Cattie-brie? I'm reading Legacy of the Drow at the mo and she's besting drows in sword fights. That's just wrong - they should be cutting her into ribbons!

12. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely.

Salvatore's done it with all of the 'band' at some point or other, Drizzt in the alcove, Bruenor with the dragon, Wulfgar of course, Catti-brie in the guild and Regis with Entreri. After the second I didn't believe him any more and a lot of the tension got lost. He still writes a fight scene like no one else though.

13. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    I'm just at the part where Wulfgar died but I already know he comes back after 6 years in hell or something like that - I stupidly bought the last trilogy thinking that was the next one and read in the first page what happened to Wulfgar.

Even though I like Wulfgar, it would have been right for him to die and just leave it at that. But Salvatore's heroes are always so bloody invincible and perfect he had to bring him back! There always has to be a happy ending.

14. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that too.

I kinda lost interest reading them as well. You just know they'll live through whatever anyway. :rolleyes: There's only so much of a story you can tell with a long-lived drow and a dwarf mixed in with human kiddies in suitable adventuring ages in the time that Drizzt has been on the surface (now that we've heard about his Underdark years). Who wants to hear about Cattie-Brie getting on in her years?

15. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    I'm giving Drizzt a break for a while, even though I can't wait to find out what happens when he goes back to Menzoborwhateveritscalled. That will be cool.

16. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Problem is that, at this stage, unless he turns them all good or brings the roof crashing down it'll be an anticlimax.

17. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    yeah, I'm sure it'll be the same old same old. He'll get captured, tortured, escape, captured again, save some lives and his buddies will come to his help as well. But still I love reading about Menzoberanzobananazin!

18. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I concur with a lot of what was said here. I also have problems with Enterari himself. I haven't read all the books, but from what I remember, during Enterari's last fight with Drizzt, it was mentioned that being that he was human and Drizzt is a drow, Enterari was getting older and wouldn't be able to keep up much longer. Then he goes on hiatus in Metz, and now is travelling with Jaraxle, and is still considered one of the most dangerous humans in the world. Shouldn't the guy be getting old by now?

And I also am very confused by the geography. Has Salvadore released a map yet?

It seems like when he's writing about Drizzt, they're always super famous, but when he's writing about Jaraxle there's never any mention of Drizzt in any of the towns they're in, or anything. You'd think someone would draw a comparison, I mean they're supposed to be 2 of a handful of drow that actually walk the surface, you'd think they'd be confused for one another or something. How big is the Forgotten Realms anyways?

Mathius

19. rhapsody of serendai

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Damn, why did I have to read that!!!!!!

20. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Sorry, the first couple of posts had spoiler warnings, and there have been spoilers throughout the thread, so I didn't think to include them in mine.

MORE SPOILERS TO FOLLOW:

Another thing occurred to me while I'm reading "Road of the Patriarch", there's no way to judge the battle skills of Salvadore's characters. Entereri is talked about as being super dangerous "for a human", and it's been mentioned before that, that while in Metz he was considered to be a nothing, no matter how many drow's he defeated (and drows were naturally considered better warriors). But when he goes to battle with Olwen, he almost gets his @$$ handed to him.

And then there's mention of Master Kane who is supposed to be even more dangerous, and Emyln the archmage.

It's like Salvadore tries to make every characters "biggest and baddest on the blocK', but when the characters come together it's like you can't really tell who is better, because he makes every one of them sound like they're the most dangerous.

Does that make sense? Anyone else feel like that?

Mathius