Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by FARAWAYSAY, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    \

Lol no I'm not talking about TFF becoming a dating service or being one,but in my life at least since I started reading Tolkien's works,I had far more success in talking to and meeting girls that knew about LOTR and were not necessarily geeks or hardcore fans but many of them were generally fantasy fans or just...normal girls.

You have to admit that LOTR can be liked or loved by a wider range of girls than Star Wars.

You know why? BECAUSE STAR WARS IS A WEIRD SCI-FI THING!!!!! (in Joey Tribiani style of shouting).LOTR is about Elves,Dwarves,Hobbits,Humans etc.

What will an average girl like about Star Wars?Chewbacca going "RRRRRAAAAAAARRRR!" ?
    Or the lasers and blasters and all that stuff?

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Well I would agree that LOTRs is more feminine orientated, my best friend loves LOTRs but she also likes SW. I do know more girls who like LOTRs than guys, the guys tended to like SW. Cause yeah, you know what a lot of guys say about LOTRs and I ain't going to repeat it here lol So for me, I always thought girls or guys who liked LOTRs were..... Well, delicately put, wimps, but guys (who were not dressed like Millhouse or the comic book guy from the Simpsons) and girls for that matter, who liked SW were cool. Meeting girls who liked SW was rare for me, I knew only a few who did, but I never wanted to hang out with the girls lol I was not girly at all :D

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well SW tends to be more 'boyish' but not more geeky than Lotr I would say. Cause you can see that a lot of young boys like SW and when it comes to young girls they tend to like it and look up to female figures such as Padmé and Princess Leia. While often SW is very respected when it comes to the music, cause John Williams is a very respected person in the classic music world. Even when we went to Star Wars concert there was a wide variety of young teenagers, male... Female. There were even people of more of my age and older and such again male, female and about the same in number... Often couples and such. Though to be fair that was probably more about the music than SW. I talked about SW with a lot with girls and they do get interested about the mythology in it... If you know what you're talking about that is. At first they'll tend to be not interested though, I'll grant you that. But when you actually explore the more intellectual areas of SW, then you'll see the difference. Don't bring up Stormtroopers, lightsabers or spaceships lol, then you get the same result when you talk to girls about Star Trek, but that's not what SW is about.

4. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't say that LOTR is more feminine oriented,but more "female friendly".

Thing is...I don't know if there are more female Star Trek fans than female Star Wars fans.

5. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    I don't know either..... And to be honest, I don't want to know *gets scared*

And you're right, it is more typical female friendly, I think anyway, speaking as a female I would say hell no, but going by other people I know I would say yes. Just the elves, dudes running around with long flowy locks :S Yep, its got it all :S lol

6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Nooo!It's not the elves!It's the whole thing! :p

Remember: Hollywood killed the elves and made them look like sexy gay emo boys.
    In the books they are just normal awesome fantasy Elves.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well it would only be fair to compare the movies, no? Besides you don't hear women complaining how Elves were portrayed in LOTR. And I hardly hear men complaining either... Which tbh is pretty disturbing lol.

8. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    The Elves in the first movie were awesome.I didn't like how they portrayed them in the other two movies.

And I guess that if you give Hollywood permission to make a Dark Elf Trilogy movie series,they could make even the Drizzt Do'Urden an emo trendy elf.

But these days Vampires are in fashion.After Underworld and Blade,some people decided to make Vampires even more....umm....emo?Trendy?

First it was Twilight,then it was all these series...what was the first one...darn I don't remember the name,something about True bloodlines?I don't remember the name.....then it was Moonligh...you just switch the TV on and you hear a guy say "I'm a Vampire!"

Oh really?So you want a stick in your heart or somewhere else?Because Vampires today don't stick to beautiful women...they just go for the guys too!

9. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I think the fact is that the current fanbase of everything fiction would be brought abt by the popular media instead of the original works. It's very rare to see a fantasy fan looking at things w/o any Hollywood bias for this current generation ffs. Main reason why I tend to swear off all things Hollywood. >.>

10. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me started on the vampire phenomenon..... They used to be cool, now they're just sparkly twilight punks who need a good slap. I miss the vampires that were actually threatening, not just a goth's wet dream.... Hell not even that any more, they're just pretty boys (and yes I say boys cause they especially are it seems) One TV show, one movie of vampires, fine, but we don't need a whole collection. True Blood, Vampire Chronicles, Twilight.... Though it would be a great money making scheme 'hey I've got some TV show ideas', 'lets hear it', 'Me and my vampire, Vampires go to Mexico, Pimp my vampire, Vampires on Ice'...... 'Vampires hmm?..... Love it! Let's roll!'

Enough already :S

11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yeah,first they were goth which was highly acceptable.Let's not forget the Vampire Bloodlines game(both the RPG and the PC game version)etc.

That became a stereotype.Vampire is goth etc.

But now?Now all the vampires are emo-trendy things.And I use the word "emo-trendy" because they act like emo while being trendy in the way they dress and the cars they use and all that,for example Edward from Twilight.He's kind of emo but always wears trendy clothes and drives a modern fashionable beautiful car.

No more Vampires please!Just...let the Werewolves out to eat them!:p

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well that I can agree with.... I mean it's a good idea to get rid of stereotype vampires, but don't overhaul the whole idea who and what a vampire is. If you change it, do it subtly so that people are still familiar with it. Those series are just a nightmare... I think the first one to start with it, who I used to like, is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. No I wonder what the heck I saw in that series lol.

13. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Watch this space, there will be a Vampire High School Musical out any time soon lol Just the same crap but with guys running around looking anaemic with sharp teeth in.

This has become an anti-media-vampire thread lol

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    For crying out loud vampires nowadays walk under the light of day.

I think it's time to go back to classic late 18th century or Victorian era horror movies.With ghosts,witches,werewolves...whatever.Something that could terrorize a rural area in the Victorian times.Maybe they should start making movies about myths and urban legends and cryptoids.

Oh and please make them in a Tim Burton style.Or anyway in a dark style.

Man and we thought LOTR and Star Wars had problems?

The world today is being consumed by emo Vampires! :bat:

15. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the next twilight film should be 10 minutes long, of that moody girl showing up to see her sparkly boyfriend and she sees his family sweeping up a pile of ash 'he went sunbathing.... *sigh*'. That I would applaud.

Agreed about making movies on myths etc, though sadly because things like twilight do so damn well.... It's not looking good is it. From a movie studio's point of view its, 'make some cheap cheesy crap that people flock to see...... Or make a decent film with some intellect and thought provoking situations....... Hmmm...... Get me Robert Pattinson on the phone!'

Of course the easier option is going to win.... Such a shame, and I thought Interview with the Vampire was a bit girly when it came out, that now looks rather dark and edgy in comparison to what's going on now. It's all Beverly Hills 90210 with vampires. Someone said to me recently, oh but aren't you happy they made that 'vampire sucks' or whatever that parody movie is, making fun of twilight and the shows? And I said no! Because it's just reminding us of vampires again! Enough with the vampires. They've been made into boy band material instead of dark animalistic creatures.

Okay seriously, we need to make a vamp thread lol This is getting out of hand lol

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  16. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Lol then I guess we could make one and put it in the fantasy section. Or is it the correct one? >.>

P.S: Anybody played Castlevania? I think that game actually portrayed vampires in a very badass manner. I really like Alucard in particular due to his deep character showing. ;)

Edit: Placed a new relevant thread in the fantasy section. Anything, just fire away! :)

Add P.S: Why do I have this feeling that Met will just crash the party? >.>

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  17. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I haven't been able to find one definition or description of 'Science Fiction' which adequately applies to Star Wars. Some have a superficial relevance by referring to 'space travel' or 'technology' but these generally are not applicable as the references require these elements to be primary threads in the storyline ie impact of technology etc

I was bored, now I'm still bored but accept that SW is an average fantasy story :)

PS Twilight vampires are naff, as are the werewolves

PPS Avatar had clever cgi but was a dull story

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Science fiction:
    –noun
    a form of fiction that draws imaginatively on scientific knowledge and speculation in its plot, setting, theme, etc.

— n
    a. a literary genre that makes imaginative use of scientific knowledge or conjecture
    b. ( as modifier ): a science fiction writer

— Works of fiction that use scientific discoveries or advanced technology — either actual or imaginary — as part of their plot.

19. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    You accepted SW as a fantasy story?You know it's also erotic because of the Leia in the bikini suit scene.

20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Many aspects are this and that, Foin, and yes even sci-fi, but the core is still fantasy. But I'm going to shut up, cause what's the point. We'll just agree to disagree. That good enough?