Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by FARAWAYSAY, Aug 21, 2010.

1. FARAWAYSAY

FARAWAYSAY Farawaysay

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It’s a showery day in England and I should be writing my book, but I got to thinking
    Which is better, :fightyou:

Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?

Frodo or Luke?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    SW! FTW

you could have made a poll

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    There already was a poll and LOTR was winning. There were also other on the poll. I think maybe Harry Potter. I think Star Wars got second place, but that doesn't surprise me.

4. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Why would people compare a fantasy work with a sci-fi work?

And Anakin don't start with the fantasy story and plot of Star Wars!It's a Sci-Fi work overall.

Again...why don't people just compare LOTR with...I don't know...Forgotten Realms novels?
    Warhammer universe?Warcraft Universe?

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I can and I will if I want to, Foin... It's your opinion and highly likely not yours alone, but the fact remains that it's an opinion, not fact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    So even with all the technology and space stuff you still consider Star Wars as fantasy?

7. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, there's the concept of the Force, which imo is intended to be the sole and most important fantasy factor in the SW world. I might be wrong tho, so Anakin, you can correct me if you want to. ;)

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Technology is a detail, Foin. They're there to make it more interesting. The story itself does not rely on it. A New Hope was based on the Hidden Fortress which is a fantasy. No tech whatsoever. So why would the other be a fantasy and the other a sci-fi... But really I'm done with this cause I've had to explain this so many times....
    I think Skyanide once gave the perfect label on it. 'A fantasy with sci-fi elements'.

9. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    ....STAR WARS ... even though LOTR is pretty cool ..

10. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    So in a few words should we stop using the term "sci-fi" now?Because lots of sci-fi movies have "fantasy" elements or simply "fiction" elements.The term "science fiction" means that there's too much of futuristic elements and technology involved,that means it's not fantasy but something similar to fantasy but different.

In this sense we should stop considering Star Trek or Babylon 5 as Science Fiction or even Aliens.Because we can always say there are many elements taken from fantasy.

Star Wars cannot be compared to Lord of the Rings because of many reasons.Not only because they are widely considered and I think that most people here too think that they are two different genres,but also because Lord of the Rings is much more superior than Star Wars in many ways.Not that I don't like Star Wars,I love it,but Lord of the Rings and generally Tolkien's Middle-Earth is much more superior and complicated than the Star Wars universe which was made up by hundreds of people in the course of more than 30 years using every single thing they could imagine,from ridiculously weird names,to the basically same theme of Jedi versus Sith again and again and again as a spine theme throughout the dozens of tales of the Star Wars expanded universe(comics,games,novels,cartoons etc.)

As much as I love Star Wars,it's Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's universe that is "best constructed" and more well-made.And also more "serious".

Although Tales of the Jedi tend to be more fantasy-like,the later Star Wars themes are too repeatitive and more sci-fi.

Just like Warhammer is the fantasy world of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 even though having lots of elements of fantasy,is actually the "sci-fi" version of Warhammer.
    And I love them both because they are very similar and very different at the same time.

11. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I'm not saying it can be compared and you don't understand. Star Trek may have fantasy elements in it. Terminator and all these sci-fi movies we know. But their story is still sci-fi, as it still relies on technology. That is where Star Wars differs and other series which are viewed as sci-fi, yet aren't. Another example I could give is Back to the Future. It is sci-fi, but there's barely anything of technology or futuristic in it except for one thing... A time machine which the story heavily relies on.

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Terminator and Back to the Future have nothing to do with the "Fantasy" genre.Especially Terminator has nothing to do with Fantasy.Back to the Future is a normal movie.

Star Wars has taken elements from...old classic myths,from western movies,from gangster movies from stuff like that,but it is styl a sci-fi movie.

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I gave Back to the Future as an example not because it is related to fantasy, but why it is related to sci-fi. And you said it yourself... You gave all these genres what SW is based on and yet you can't see passed the technology and futuristic look of SW... Then there's no point in discussing. Elements in a movie don't define it, it's the story that does and the story isn't sci-fi... chapter closed.

14. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    *Yawn*

Not this (non-)poll again and same discussion...

Star Wars will always appear in the sci-fi section. I understand and accept Anakin's point about the underlying theme being fantasy, the story could have been based on a single world without lightsabres & other technology and would still have worked. However by layering it on to a galactic backdrop with extensive use of technologies (spacecraft & the like) Lucas has clearly shunted it into the grey area between sci-fi & fantasy.

... oh and LOTR is the clear winner, SW is pants... okay not pants but not as good :D

15. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    :stupid:

(No offence,this is the closest emoticon that shows agreement with your post that I could find :D )

16. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

No offence taken...

17. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Does it really matter what Star Wars is considered? I've seen it listed as Space Fantasy, Science Fiction Fantasy, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Space Opera (which is what Lucas refers to it as). I tend to go with the man himself but I also think of it as space mythology, or a space fable because if you look at the countless mythological references that lie throughout the saga, and that in itself it is a myth, then I think this is most accurate.

If people want to call it science fiction then that's fine but for me I tend to link that more with futuristic, almost like a prediction of the way science may head (Star Trek, Minority Report, Blade Runner, The Fifth Element etc). But Star Wars isn't trying to do that. It's 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away' aka 'once upon a time', it's a fable, a fairytale, a bedtime story. And in fact in the beginning when Lucas was writing Star Wars, it WAS going to be a bedtime story. It was going to begin with a baby wookiee crying and its mother walking over to pick up a large book entitled 'The Star Wars', then the story would begin, and at the end of the movie, we would see the baby wookiee asleep. This idea was disgarded as being too weird pretty early on lol Not surprised. But that's the general idea of the mindset in which it was created. It's a fairytale, a space fantasy. But like I said, I don't mind if people want to call it sci-fi, cause in the end, I used to call it that before I became interested in the films. If you want to be accurate, it isn't sci-fi, but its no disaster if some call it that.

18. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Lol!:p

19. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Y'know what I reckon Star Wars should be considered ? ..Awesome !
    tumblr_kwtbinxBbQ1qzyvneo1_500.jpg

20. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Touché my friend lol