Looking into buying leather armor

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Nydendarin, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, i'm thinking about buying some leather armor. I've seen some sites with alot of really neat designs in leather workings, but nothing that's really "me" i guess. I'm thinking of either buying just bracers, or braces/gauntlets, or i may just buy a full suit if I find a kit i like. Anyone know any reputable leatherworking craftsmen who have online stores/galleries ? I looked on BBB and didnt see any leather armor so would posting here be acceptable? If not, could you please PM me?

Much Appreciated.

-Nyd

2. Viruk

Viruk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try ebay, from time to time you can find stuff there. Do a search for "sca"

3. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nydendarin,
    What type of armor are you looking for? Fantasy armor or real armor you can actually fight in, i.e. SCA or other re-enactment groups? Site selection makes a difference - as well as price!

4. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well.. i want actual wearable and usable armor, but i also want it to have a nice design... not too, too over the top, but nice. I'm part of battle group like.. a level above SCA, we'll be using live steel, grinded down to probably 3mm or so, with rounded tips. I thought leather would be ideal because it's lighter than plate or chain in a general prospect, and you can do some really awesome designs with leather you just can't do with metal. Also i won't have to worry about cuts or gashes in the armor becuase the blades will be blunt.

5. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nydendarin,
    I'm in contact with my buddy who makes leather armor. He does not have a web site but says he has lots of pictures. We are working on some way to get the two of you together. He has made armor for SCA fighters for several years and makes good armor that is functional and safe. He also makes "other" types of armor and stuff and is open to customized designs. As soon as I know how to get you two in touch, I'll posted it here. Others may also be interested.
    :balrog:

6. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, much appreciated. You know.. i'm also a web designer / graphic artist.. maybe i can help him out getting his stuff up on the web..

-nyd

7. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nydendarin,
    I will pass that on to him. You know, in this bizz, bartering is quite common. You may start thinking about a barter deal. He may be interested in that. Just a thought.
    :balrog:

8. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else have any good leatherworking places; or any of their own work to show me? I am seriously interested in purchasing Leather arms.

9. Nydendarin

Nydendarin New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im still looking for leather armor if anyone has any links or any of their own stuff to advertise.

10. VikingLeather

VikingLeather New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sell custom made armor myself, but really it is not my intention to advertise freely here on the forum. I would like for you to take a look at my site, and tell me what you think. www.vikingleathercrafts.com I am also starting to make some torso armors and am doing some R&D on designs and making my patterns out for them. Give me a shout at sales@vikingleathercrafts.com if you need to get in touch with me. Thanks

Viking Leathercrafts