Looking for Tolkienists

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Tatharlin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well said, Amras!

And beren, just because you quote from someone doesnt mean you have a point. What i mean to say is, you are ignorant of our feelings. No offense meant.

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ofcourse he is ignorant of your feelings, but still. This Tolkienism stuff borders on obsession. I know exactly what he means. I mean no offense to either of you, Im fine with what you are doing, but you must be able to see that there is some sort of obsession with Tolkien's literary works.

3. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I was merely making point that someone(like me) can be obsessed(like me) and not worship Tolkien's writings. It is not a big thing actually.

What i mean to say is, you are ignorant of our feelings. No offense meant.

How could I possibly not take that offensively?

I just wont bother with this thread anymore.

4. Kain

Kain New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that creation myths are to be taken literally. They are symbolic. Let's take bible's as an example: it tells us the reason why we are what we are: "the Fall of man": we are in "hell", because we let our selfishness and desires confuse our minds, we surrender to temptations, we let ourselves get attached to things that don't last, therefore we suffer. Creation myths are rather theological than cosmological. Though someone may say that this is just one way to see it, that's fine by me, I just thought to let you know what many people (myself including) that think a lot about these things think.

I also recommend Tolkien's biography by Carpenter to anyone who wants to have some material from where to derive his views about what Tolkien had in mind or didn't have
    in mind.

5. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry Beren I did misinterpret your post.

6. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My friend Aikanar is going to create a site where tolkienists can come together. I will give you the address as soon as it is finished.

7. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I am actually interested in seeing this webpage. For some reason, I am more open to other's beliefs after starting to read the holy bible.

8. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  9. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    (sorry I'm so late, kind of lost track of this forum)

Nor did I say so. I specifically stated most beliefs are based around a set of moral guide lines (we're basically saying the same thing). There are a great deal of them also in Tolkien's works, and some very good ones that we still (and hopefully forever) cherrish. But as there are none (of those moral guide lines in tolkiens books) that were not already around, I was trying to compare it to other religions on other aspects. In this case the creation myth. The Ainulindalë is not much different in that aspect. Especially compared to Norse myths. So far I can agree to it's similarity to a religion. It gets a two out of three; good creation myth (y), nice set of moral standards (y), no factual history to back it up :(. Now, me personally I'm not very big on the histories portrayed by religions because I think they are more often than not, modeled and distorted to whatever need. As a matter of fact I'm not very big on religious institutions at all. So the history thing was never a big deal to me. But it is to many others.

Therefore, as a "belief" in the most broad sense of the word, or a "state of mind" I think Tolkiens works do an excellent job. But so does my lifestyle. :/ Thus... I stick to my statement that it cannot be a religion.

10. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, that is a very good thing. For you and for others.

11. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
Search tags for this page

tolkienist religion valar