Looking for Tolkienists

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Tatharlin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for followers of the Tolkienist Religion. Please keep in mind I'm not posting this to have a religious debate or answer a million questions. I am lonely since this religion is not common and I'd like someone to share it with. Please do not reply unless you have information that will help me--I have been hurt many times in other forums. :(
    Tolkienists are people who worship Iluvatar and the Valar. This idea is laughable to many, and if you feel this way, please do not respond.

May the grace of the Valar protect you!

Tatharlin

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  2. Timmybaby17

Timmybaby17 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just one thing. I don't think that you should be calling it Tolkienism seeing as Tolkien himself didn't practice the worship of Illuvatar or the Valar.

3. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    True, nor is it the worship of Tolkien.

4. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    So please I love LOTR and all of Tolkiens work please call it some thing els I have been called A Tolkienist and I do not worship any of it. And I do not mean to afend you I am sorry if I have I joust do not like what you are calling it.

5. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    -Tolkienists are regarded those people who look at all the manuscripts Tolkien wrote and try to look at middle-earth as being a fantasy of Tolkien. They look at what might have influenced Tolkien to write what he did and seek out any changes he made to the story and why.
    -Ardalogists are considered the ones that take a more in-story approach to it all. Regarding the tales as true they try to answer questions about middle-earth by using all that was put into words about ME by Tolkien using a middle-earthian view.
    I hope that was of help to you.

Of these I think some of the latter might endulge in the worship of Illúvatar. But not many. Why so? Because it is fairly new, and it is based on writings, fantasies and stories made up by Tolkien. I'm pretty sure that Tolkien specifically stated that middle-earth was just a setting for his invented languages. Some people might say that in fact middle-earth existed and that we are living in the same world only millennia later and that Tolkien only translated the manuscripts that he found. I believe they need to get a realitycheck. But then again most religions are all about a set of moral guidelines, the existance of a or several gods and accompanying stories with some more and some less authentic historic accuracy.

I myself have read and reread the wonderful Ainulindalë and deem it just as believable as any other creation story. If the circumstances were different and I didn't know that Tolkien made it up I'd maybe even be tempted to actually believe it. But now it is just a story to me and I love to endulge in seeking out little know facts about middle-earth.

I am curious what you yourself think about the religion Tatharlin. What exactly does it contain and what does it mean to you?

6. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I picked up this name from Russia in the Cold war--I didn't know what else I could refer to it as--Valarism? Now I see the name didn't make too much sense. No matter.
    It is a great love for Middle-earth that put me in this position. Many problems resulted because of my decision into my religion, many things I could never dream of. Even now that I know these confllicts, I never regret this decision.
    To tell you a small story, I was once a Christian. I never found any passion nor love in it, however, and I was only a Christian for a month or so. When I found the Ainulindale, I found a love such I have never known since. And it changed my life--for better, and for worse. It's a complicated matter few people understand.
    If this doesn't stem the flow of your curiousity, feel welcome to ask to ask more. Now I realize it is by making people familar with my religion I can recieve help.

7. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok so you once were a Christian but found no love. Therefore I assume you did not understand the love beyond all reckoning that God had for you when he sent his only son to die on the cross and be raised from the dead, or same love that Jesus had for you when he performed that.

Believe it or not Tolkien was a Christian, he loved the Bible so much that he wanted to interpret parts of it into something he loved, something he had created too, Middle Earth. Tolkien was a Christian, and so am I, I don't understand how if the ME you love so much came from a man who was inspired of it from the Bible that you don't want to seek that same religion that he found so much love and happiness in.

8. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you. I've had many people tell me this already.

9. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I must admit it is strange to take a story a man has made up, and take it as a religion.

Sounds alot like Scientology to me, where even though the whole thing was made up, and the creator announced it so on his death bed, people still believe.

I don't mean to offend you, Tatharlin, but you do know that Tolkien created these stories purely for entertainment....don't you ?

10. Lady Swartt Sixclaw

Lady Swartt Sixclaw New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    True, he did create them for entertainment and was Christian (Catholic, I think) but writing these stories did become most of his life. It does seem strange to worship Illuvatar and the Valar, but I respect your beliefs, Tatharlin.

11. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    Tatharlin I am in love with ME and all of Tolkien books, and I am a Christian. So if you would please tell me why even though you now what Tolkien was a Christian, that you still believe that he made a religion, and that the religion was not just what he did believe that it was something beyond that?

12. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    To tell you the absolute truth, Lady of Lorien, I do not generally respect Tolkien. I believe the reason he called his works Fantasy, or Mythology, if you like, was because his family/friends etc were Christians, and they had the same expectations of him. For him to have thoughts otherwise, or to produce a sacred book, would be absurd to them. In other words, Tolkien would do anything to remain politically correct.

13. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    This is an odd topic, i must admit, but i think Tolkien himself would find this worshipping of his literature offensive.

14. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    really, he was a christian, he did not worship his own work.
    I just dont see it.

15. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    It is because he put a lot of his beliefs in is work that people find a religion I his books. Tatharlin do you pray to the valar?

16. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  17. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    Did you now that that valar take fens to that?

18. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    also,
    tolkien, i am sure did not want anyone else to worship his work.
    front cover by j.r.r. tolkien

19. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    Tatharlin, I meant no a fens by my last post, but it is true that the Valar do not like to be prayd to.

20. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Only in great need

Search tags for this page

tolkienist religion valar