Looking for fantasy books of a certain theme

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Phoenixvenus, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Phoenixvenus

Phoenixvenus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all! :p I'm new here, been very much into all sorts of fantasy- movie, books, video games, etc.

I've decided to begin writing my first novel ever! I'm seeing now that it will be an arduous task, but one that i am willing to commit to. I don't want to give too many details away as I'm at a very rough outlining/ brainstorming stage... but upon thinking of the general plot line, I'm wondering if there are any other fantasy books like it. I feel like it is a fresh idea and one i haven't seen, but a more probable inclination is that there has to be something similar out there. I'm looking for these books as much for inspiration as what i can do to set my story apart from others that might be like it.

So i'm wondering if anyone knows of any fantasy books that deal with either of two themes:

1. Alternate worlds found through dreaming/ astral travel

2. Symbolic reference to astrology/ planets- ie using venus, mars, etc as characters (or even their mythical counterparts)

And would you be interested in reading a story that has these qualities?

Thanks all in advance =)

2. Univerze

Univerze New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's not REALLY fantasy.. but as for your first point, Scarlett Thomas' The End of Mr Y comes to mind. The lead character accesses this dreamworld (that turns out to be very much real, only is shaped by the person who dreams it, so for everyone it's different) whenever she falls asleep. I loved this book, read it recently on recommendations from a book forum I'm on. It's a brilliant book, got some elements of physics in there too which I love.

But the themes you describe in books would generally make it too floaty for me.. you know, I read fantasy but am more down to earth than you'd think. But don't worry so much about themes and if people would love to read about them. I will read any book that's well written.. so write a great book, and who cares about themes. Stimulate the imagination. ;)

3. Phoenixvenus

Phoenixvenus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Univerze, thanks for the reply :) I'll have to check out that book, my idea is similar but a little different. The dreamworld is going to be sort of a mirror world to the physical world.. where a person dies in one world and is born in another.. and other things have an "opposite and equal affect" between the two.. sort of ties into afterlife themes too.

Astrology has a lot of prominent themes in them that i believe will translate well to a story. for instance Mercury is known as the scribe, the story teller, the magician, the shapeshifter. Saturn is known as the passing of time, Repression, Ambition, Sturdiness, Cold and brute force. So these characters will have well established archetypes, and being an extensive student of astrology will help me add them to my books in a clear and defined way.

In the book the main character (who will have some relation to the role of the sun in astrology/myth) will be one of the select few who has crossed the borders of the two worlds knowingly. the others who can do this are known as the Dream Weavers and the main char will have to meet with each one (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter) in order to train to learn how to become a dream weaver (doing something in one world to affect the other in the desired outcome) and hopefully save his physical world without destroying the "dream" world..

Yeah okay it might be out there. describing it in simplified terms is hard to do. I'm hoping I can make it somewhat realistic while maintaining a level of uniqueness about the world. It might take me a couple years before i finish. But i'm excited.

I figured there would be many book sout there that use astrological mythos... which is tied in many ways to other mythologies. the archetypes are so defined and inherent in each of us.

Any more suggestions are welcome :)

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Robert Jordan explores the concept of a "dream world" in his Wheel of Time series, and C.S. Lewis had some stuff going on with his space trilogy about planets, but the latter's mostly Christian allegory.

5. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    The one series that springs to my mind is Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever".
    Which is set in an alternate world...pretty cutting edge fantasy for its time (late 70's/early 80's).
    A fairly good read from memory, though it has some confronting awkward moments, and the characters are not black and white!! Actually the more I think about it, the more I believe it was way ahead of its time!!
    Worth checking out anyways!!