Looking for a good fantasy series

Discussion in 'General Books' started by bunkai, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bunkai

bunkai Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

I have been reading a lot of fantasy novels: Tolkien, Goodkind, RA Salvatore, Brooks, Tad Williams...
    And i dont know what to read next. I like epic fantasu novels, with nicely described world, exploration, magic, different races...
    i heard good thing about Song of ice and fire, is it what i seek?
    Any other ideas?

I tried the Malazan series of Eriksson but did not like it. I tried MistBorn of Sanderson and did not like it either. I like more medieval type of stories.

thanks

Sebastien

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    A Song of Ice and Fire is quite different from epic fantasy; it has no magic (maybe one or two minor "otherworldly" appearances) and is largly based on politics with lots of fights. It's great, but nothing like Tolkien or Salvatore.

I will first HAVE to recommend David Eddings' books (amazing, and lots of them, but I didn't really like "The Younger Gods") and Raymond E. Feist's books (starting with "Magician").
    I would also recommend Trudi Canavan's "Dark Magician" trilogy, and then it's prequel, then sequel trilogy, the "Traitor Spy" trilogy.
    I would recommend "The Chronicles of Siala" by Alexey Pehov, but there are only 2 books translated into English as of yet.
    I've heard Robin Hobb's books are good (I've only read one) but they really have nothing to do with Epic Fantasy at all.

3. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Robin Hobb isn't really epic fantasy, but I enjoyed them when I read them, particularly the Farseer Trilogy though for the life of me I can't remember specific details as to why I enjoyed it.

As for epic fantasy I particularly enjoyed Dragonlance, and Wheel of Time was good, though I found attempting to read the entire series in seven days nigh impossible and have yet to finish the last couple books.

4. bunkai

bunkai Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies
    i have already read msot of the books od Eddings and Feist :) and also the first DragonLance trilogy.
    is Trudi Canavan's "Dark Magician" trilogy a good one?
    any other good titles?
    thanks

5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I loved it, one of my favourite trilogies. It's only magic though, so not that "epic".

6. bunkai

bunkai Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks but so far i did not find something i like...any other suggestions? I am really into medieval epic fantasy like Lord of the Ring or Shannara series. Magic, well described world, monsters,exploration,.. are what i seek.
    thanks
    seb

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    That's what I got (which is why I explained that the other weren't exactly that).

sadly I can't think of anything right now, as you seem to have read all of those that I know of. I know a great series in french though.

8. bunkai

bunkai Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes as i said i read quite a lot already
    and it is hard for me to find good stuff now :)
    What about wheel of time, any good? i cant believe any series can be good over 14 books...
    For instance i read all Goodkind books and maybe 4 or 5 books in the series were nice... other books were waste of time...but needed to to read to understand the next volumne..
    So any other ideas?

9. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So, you have already read the best. As I have seen also Feist.

So what about Gemmel now - the Drenai Saga.

10. bunkai

bunkai Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks
    Yes i read all the fantasy classics. I did not read any Gemmel trough. I will check this out.

11. padraigmarron

padraigmarron Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    gemmel is fairly good he,s the author that got me started also try tad williams

12. bunkai

bunkai Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks i had read Tad Williams already: memory sorrow and thorn. I have read Fantasy novels for the past 7 years :)
    I can really recommend Tad Williams! The Abhorsen trilogy of Garth Nix is also very good.
    i am open to other fantasy book suggestions even if it is not epic fantasy in that sense.
    thanks